“Penguino cakes are cute and yummy :)”
Review of Ramos Generales

Ramos Generales
Ranked #1 of 10 Dessert in Ushuaia
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Penguino cakes are cute and yummy :)”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We went here twice, once for drinks and once for food.

The night we went for drinks, service was good and ambiance was great. We decided to pay at the counter for our food as our waiter disappeared and we needed to be elsewhere but that was fine. The decoration is great, with some really interesting old items.

The second time we went, the service was pretty dire. The manager cut our order short so he could serve people waiting at the counter (which we found particularly rude and quite irritating seems as there then became a long queue of people). A female waitress took over a while later and we ordered a chicken panini each. The waitress only brought one and when reminded that we´d ordered two, took ages to sort it. It wasnt great either. The only reason I gave this 3 stars is because of the penguino cake (or any other cake i guess, they all looked yummy!) If it wernt for the brilliant decor and novelty cakes, I would have been disappointed by this place.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Awesome ambiance, pretty awful food”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stopped in on a Sunday night, so perhaps the main chef was off that day? Regardless, we had heard good things from the Lonely Planet guide about the delicious french bread. I ordered a panini and my boyfriend had pasta and neither one were very good. It was also quite expensive for what we got.

I would recommend stopping in for a coffee or pastry (which we didn't try) to enjoy the ambiance, but don't waste your money on dinner!

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Haven at the End of the Earth”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

What an amazing little find. This cafe/bar is situated on the waterfront on Maipu 749 in Ushuaia. It is in such an obvious place yet a whole other world is cleverly tucked away behind double-doors. The internal decor is intriguing and it feels like you have stepped into a wartime romantic novel. The lemon pie is to die for and the crème brulée has a wonderful zing. I had my first taste of maté tea here (drank the traditional way) and it was powerful. The seating is casual and the staff are friendly but you do need to attract their attention in a very obvious fashion to get served. Despite that, the place is a perfect hideaway to write in your travel journal whilst savouring delicious treats in a relaxed setting (as I did). Highly recommended.

1 Thank Ani600
“Good Food and Environment”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Had a late lunch here and the food was very good. I had a panini and my wife had a pasta and both were very good. A decent wine offering and several local beers on tap make hanging out here nice. Trying one of the chocolate penguins is a must.

San Francisco, California
“Neat Environment, Friendly People, Great Food”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I went in for a late lunch with a friend and found plenty of space to have our pick of tables. The decorations and environment are really neat because there's a bunch of fun, old paintings, photographs, appliances, and plenty of other random things that made you feel like you were stepping back in time a bit.

We both ordered the Lomito Panini w/ lettuce, tomato, egg, and cheese - it was awesome. I won't claim it was the best sandwich I've ever eaten but with a local beer to wash it down, it really hit the spot. The steak was really well cooked (skirt steak is pretty notoriously overcooked and it was great) and it really satisfied my hunger. To round it off I had a Submarino con amaretto (hot chocolate where you stick a bar of chocolate in) which was great. It was my first Submarino in Argentina and I'd definitely order it again. My friend also ordered the Cafe Azteca along with a chocolate croissant and he seemed to really enjoy them (seems like the croissant was super fresh though it would've been a bit better if it had a little more chocolate).

Our waitress was very friendly as well which of course adds to the experience.