“Lovely”

Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Ushuaia
Houston, Texas
“Lovely”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is located on a hill and 2 streets away from the main street - the San Martin Street. Although it is very close to the main street, every time when we walked back to the hotel, we had to walk through those killers stairs! If I knew this, I would have opted for another hotel that was located on the same level as the main street!

The reception area is tiny but the staffs were helpful.

We were given a room on the first floor and taking the elevator was easy. I would categorize this as an Apartment instead of a hotel room.

There is a living room with sofa, coffee table, working desk and chairs, kitchen with stove, microwave, electrical kettle, coffee and tea making facility and a dining table and chairs.

Then there is a bedroom with huge flat screen TV. Our "king size bed" is the combination of 2 single beds- that always drives me crazy! However the bed was clean and comfortable.

The clean bathroom comes with a bathtub with enough amenities. Although I wish they had a bigger sink area to put all my stuff!

We love the complimentary super high speed Wi-Fi service!

I think for those who do not mind walking up hill at least 2-3 times a day, this is an excellent hotel to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Turkish first
Leeds
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ive just got back from working in Ushuaia once again, this time I stayed in the Alto Andino Hotel for 12 nights.

The hotel itself is very nice, the room was the best ive stayed in in Ushuaia and the breakfast was also the best ive had in Ushuaia, only breakfast buffet I have found that serve eggs :)

The first problem came when I needed the laundry doing, for a 4 star hotel not doing laundry is very poor as all the hotels and hosterias I have stayed in in Ushuaia have a laundry service or at least offered to take it for me. When I asked a member of staff I was told there is a laundrette down the road, I asked the opening times and they said 9am till 6pm, I said this is no good for me as I will be working those hours and also dont know much spanish. Thinking then they may have offered to help I was left with blank stares. I asked another member of staff and it was pretty much the same. Lucky for me I had a collegue staying at a 1 star hosteria that offered to do my laundry for me otherwise I would have checked out and gone to a hotel/hosteria that offered this service.

Second problem was the poor internet in the rooms, that ran slow and sometimes not at all, one time after 3 days of no internet I went to reception only to find that they had chaged the password and not bothered to tell me.

For the price of this hotel and the service that you get I cannot recommend which is a pity as it has a lot of potential.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 1, 2012

good location, very nice rooms. excellent staff! when we arrived the lady at the reception - Patricia - learnt that we are from Russia and immediately offered us a room with a better view. she said it would be a shame to live in a room with a 'regular' view while we came from so far away. and she put us into a room on the top floor with a beautiful view.
also we wanted separate beds (but I believe our travel agent did not mentioned it to the hotel when booking the room) and Particia put us in 2 different rooms for the first night since we arrived around 8 p.m. and there was no one to take care of the beds. I was in similar situations in other countries and we had to sleep in one bed. well, I understand that it depends on rooms' availability and, I believe there were rooms available at Alto Andino at that poing of time. but anyway - this was very nice and we appreciated it very much.
hotel's restaurant also has a great view which you can enjoy while having breakfast. you can also have a glas of wine there with a great city view in the evening.
Patricia also helped us to arrange for a transfer to the National Park. even though she did not speak that much English and our Spanish was very basic she was eager to explain everything and help as much as possible.
very good hotel in a wonderful town of Ushuaia. strongly recomment to stay at Alto Andino if you ever go to Ushuaia.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Great hotel, breakfast, views, rooms.And all the staff is awesome!Congratulations to Patricia , who helped us so much, always doing her best and making our trip so pleasant !!!
It was our second time and we will come back again for sure!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The Alto Andino hotel is a great place to stay in Ushuaia. I spent 3 nights and 2.5 days here and I had a great stay. The staff was really amazing, especially Patricia who worked at the front desk. She made me feel very at home in the hotel and really helped me arrange tours and activities in Ushuaia. She also advised me on places to see and where to buy souvenirs. I did a tour of Patagonia national park/tren del fin del mundo one day, and a tour of the beagle canal the next day.

The room I had was nice,modern and spacious. Although the bedding could have definitely been better, there was one large bed and one small bed on the side and the sheets and appearance of the beds looked a bit shabby. Also, the blankets provided are very light for a hotel that is located in such a cold region. I requested an extra blanket and was given a warmer one, however, the hotel should provide thicker comforters. The bathroom was also modern and new, however, there was not much gap between the toilet and the door which made it awkward to close the door and use the bathroom. The shower had a glass door like thing that often moved and caused water to spill all over the floor, resulting in a bit of a damp smell in the bathroom. The heating in the bedroom was odd because it would often be way too hot in the room and I had to ask the staff to come in and take a look several times to see what was going on.

The included wi-fi in the hotel is definitely a perk, however it did not consistently work in my room. The first day and a half it worked great, but then it was very slow and pretty much did not work at all so I would take my laptop to the lobby and use it- where the internet was very fast.

The restaurant on the fourth floor was also very good, breakfast was included and although basic, it was sufficient. The lunch and dinner options in the hotel restaurant were also good, ranging from sandwiches to pastas,salads and meat dishes. I ate there a lot and found it cheaper and better than most of the restaurants in Ushuaia. The restaurant also had breathtaking views of Ushuaia- definitely bring your camera up with you! The restaurant staff was also very very nice and accommodating.

The hotel's location was great, it is about a 5 min walk from the main shopping/restaurants area and about 8 min from the "Maipu" water front. There is a small grocery store across the street as well as a pizza take out place down the street. Ushuaia is a safe city compared to Buenos Aires, and the Alto Andino is on a nice quiet street. However, do be warned that there is a student hostel behind the hotel and it can get noisy at night if your room is facing the hostel.

Do understand that Ushuaia is not a city with nightlife, and that after 6 pm the city becomes quiet. There are a few bars here and there but they tend to be expensive. So be prepared to spend a lot of money, or spend the night relaxing in your hotel. Also I would strongly recommend a pair of boots that are good in the snow/ice unless you want to slip and fall. There are a lot of steep stairs and hills in Ushuaia, especially from the Alto Andino one has to go town two sets of stairs and two hills to get to the main shopping area.

Overall I had a great stay at the Alto Andino and would highly recommend it to those of you going to Ushuaia. It is probably the most modern and comfortable four star hotel in Ushuaia.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
new york
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at the Alto Andino for 3 nights a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed our stay. The rooms are a decent size and if you get a Beagle Channel view it is wonderful. The breakfast area is great as is the lounge area on the 4th floor. From those two areas you get 360 views of mountains and Beagle Channel. Beautiful to watch sunrises and sunsets. The hotel staff is fine, not particularly knowledgeable of many things even though they try to help. I only say that because they would tell us one thing only to find out the complete opposite. The hotel is only 2 blocks from the main shopping area and a few blocks from the water. If we went back to this area we would stay here again

Room Tip: We had a corner room Beagle Channel view and loved it
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mnk910
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night before heading out to sea. The room was very large having a separate bedroom and living room that included a kitchenette. The room was clean and well maintained and the hotel on the whole had a nice modern vibe and brightness to it. The staff was very friendly and accommodating as well. The hotel is well situated right in the middle of town with the main street a block or so away, although everything is essentially a few blocks away. If you don't want to pay for one of those high end resorts on the outskirts of town or are in for a quick transfer like I was, this one will definitely do.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple