“like my house, nice people, food and place”

Rochester Hotel Calafate
Ranked #7 of 70 Hotels in El Calafate
Reviewed April 9, 2012

it is a beautiful and calm place with beautiful views and excellent service. We love tranquility of the place. They are very kind, thank you for the service that you lend taking people to the town. Thanks to all and especially to the girl that serves the food it is very beautiful, educated and it arrived far,.......... thanks to all

Room Tip: all is good
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed March 2, 2012

We stayed in a triple room for one night and were very impressed. The room was huge and each of us has a full sized bed with still lots of extra space in the room. The shower was really great too which can be hard to find in south America. And the breakfast was included and was really great quality and had a lot of options. It is outside of the main part of town but the hotel has a shuttle that runs ever thirty minutes. We took the shuttle into town and it was really nice to have. Overall, a great hotel experience and top notch quality especially for Argentina!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 28, 2012

reading the other reviews, AFTER booking (we were in a hurry and there was a discount on that hotel) I felt like I might be disappointed. this was far from being the case. although it is indeed a bit far from town (25 minute walk) it can be done by walking near the water seeing pink flamingos and there is a shuttle available. the breakfast is delicious and the rooms were clean with the view on Lago Argentina. I would maybe not stay there several nights but for one or two night in Calafate it is a good spot especially when there is a discount like we got.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This is a 3 star +. Nice place. Clean. Everything worked. Upgrade to a lake view - worth it. Decent breakfast. To become a 4 star it needs to add staff, like bell boys and upgrade bed spreads. Free shuttle is the way into town.

Room Tip: Upgrade to lake views. The other side has no view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I had read some negative refs and looked for some hotel. Unfortunately I didn't know the period I picked was a long week-end and the city was packed with tourists. In the end I got a very good price through booking.com and made the reservation.

The hotel is located 3.5 km (more than 2 miles) from downtown El Calafate and is in an area with nothing around, except a few private houses. It's not a recent construction and it shows. Rooms are not any near what you'd expect from a 4* hotel, as you can see from the attached pictures. The shuttle service runs every hour 10 to 12 am and every half an hour 5 to 10.45 pm. If you want to go to/from town at different hours, you have to call a taxi (20 to 25 pesos each way). I travel with my netbook and got free Internet, although I had to get a new username/password every 24 h. In the living there are 4 computers available to clients for 20 minutes rounds. There's no airconditioning (hot/cold).

I do agree with those who said the staff is unfriendly, and would like to add that one of the girl is especially unwilling to help. I arrived before midday and was told the room was ready. It was a freezing cold day, with very strong wind ... and the heating in the room was turned off. Turned it on, wited till 5 pm to catch the shuttle and before leaving I told the receptionists (2 girl, 1 male at that time) to please put a heater in my room cause it was still freezing cold. I got back a few hours later: there was no extra heating device in my room, which was again freezing cold because the heater had been turned off. Asked to change room and was told the hotel was full. I tried to find a room in some other hotel but couldn't find any. So I went back to the reception, ready to call the Police if they didn't solve the matter. I told the male receptionist that when they accept a reservation they are legally bound to give a room with everything working. I guess he got the message, because he suddenly remembered a reservation had been cancelled, so, already around midnight, he helped me move to the first floor and to a heated room. Only problem is ... you cannot turm off the heater, which is steadily on maximum temperature.
I took a few pics of the first room (which was supposed a "superior" or whatever, not a standard room) and one of the knob of the heater in the second room. Furniture is exactly the same, the only difference is that the 2nd room was in better conditions ... however there was a leak and water dropping under the sink whenever I took a shower.

Please note that the hotel has no fences in the backyard/garden. In the morning some dogs (probably belonging to some neighbour families) like to come and sleep there, and approach every person that goes outside. They are nice ones and don't seem dangerous ... however they're big dogs and you should keep it in mind if you're travelling with children.
This morning together with the dogs there were horses too ...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Fate06
Ventas, Director Comercial at Rochester Hotel Calafate, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2011

Dear Sir,
We do welcome and appreciate your comments as they are very important for our company in achieving compliance with high standards and in delivering five-star service.
Day after day, we work –together with and under the close supervision of a renown company in the customer satisfaction field- in adapting our service to our guests’ needs, paying special attention to important details which allows us to deliver an improved service.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed here for one night as part of an inclusive trip - so I´m unable to guage how this hotel compares pricewise to others in town. However, I found the hotel to be exceptionally clean, good staff and the rooms were quiet, clean and spacious.

Yes, it is a bus ride into town, but the provcide the bus at no extra cost and it drops you into the centre of town and picks you up again at certain times up to 10:45pm.

As said, the breakfast is quite good and has a nice choice.

It is a bit out of town, but for that you get a nice view from the hotel and a quieter place to stay.

My only gripe was that a single internet booking was only 20 minutes long. I think they should make this 30 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view - one side faces the lake and the other faces the lake.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2011

The rooms and the breakfast are very nice. The spa was always closed and internet are not free .... There was only one person working in the restaurante and in the bar and hotel was full !

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ventas, Director Comercial at Rochester Hotel Calafate, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

Dear,
We do appreciate your comments, which are really important for us. Your opinion helps us to improve our service and to be always in the search of a better one, adapting it to our guests’ needs and expectations.
As regards our spa & beauty service, appointments are required for massage treatments. We request our guests scheduling treatments when checking in.
As regards wifi service, Rochester Calafate offers a 5 mega wifi connection service; thus, charging a $25 (Argentinean pesos) fee for a 24-hour period service. Having such high speed connection allows our guests to connect to the internet without service interruptions as it would occur if we offered a 1 mega connection (which is normally offered at many hotels in the city).