“Absolutely satisfied. Good base for glacier trips”

Esplendor Hotel El Calafate
Ranked #10 of 70 Hotels in El Calafate
Reviewed May 21, 2010

Liked basically everything about this hotel. The building probably not the prettiest from exterior but stylish and cozy inside.

Location is great. Some of the reviews here claimed that it's far from the main street. This is nonsense - walk down Buenos Aires street towards the bus terminal (2 minutes maximum) and then by the stairs down to the main shopping street (30 seconds if you are not in a hurry). Not a big deal, especially in the place where many people come if not for trekking experience then for a good walk.

Room was nice and warm (that's important cause it was snow outside). There was free wi-fi of good speed and quality, minibar and a safe-deposit. Most of the rooms have great view over the town and the lake.

Restaurant was closed since we've been there during low season, but breakfasts were ok. Nothing special but there is an espresso machine so you can get proper coffee. It's of a great value really especially when you book a tour starting around 8 am and it's still dark outside.

Staff is nice and helpful. All the notices from my travel agent were delivered accurately and in time.

Have no idea about the nightclub mentioned in some reviews. Spent there five days including a friday and saturday. Perhaps it works only in summer, or may be it's gone. Theoretically there can be some noise from the cars as there is a road going up in front of the main entrance - but overall it's not a city with heavy traffic so we were not bothered. Apart from occasional rain and patagonian wind It was quite.

To sum up, I will recommend this place as a base for exploring the area. We took several tours and had chance to visit other hotels in town. I'm sure this one definitely is among the best ones, but can benefit from it great location right uphill from the downtown but in close proximity.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
lsolavaggione, Gerente at Esplendor Hotel El Calafate, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2010

Dear Guest:

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with TripAdvisor. Your nice comments encourage us to continue working on providing high quality accommodations and services. I will definitively share them with my staff. I look forward to the opportunity of hosting your next visit to Argentina.

Reviewed May 3, 2010

Great place I really recommend it

E03TripAdv, Gerente at Esplendor Hotel El Calafate, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2010

Reviewed May 2, 2010

Stayed 3 nights and loved the property. The rooms were spacious with wonderful views. The breakfast, included, was quite good. Its within walking distance of the town. Staff was friendly. Free internet on lobby computers. Only complaint was dinner, which was expensive and not especially good. You are much better off to eat dinnners in town and there is quite a selection. The glacier trekking in El Calafate is well worth the expense and is an experience not to be missed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
E03TripAdv, Gerente at Esplendor Hotel El Calafate, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2010

Reviewed May 2, 2010

After an initial mix-up with the hotel, our stay was very enjoyable and relaxing. (The hotel informed us a day before we were arriving that they had double booked the room and were only offering us a free transfer to compensate and a smaller room. In the end, we only spent one night in the small room and moved to our intended room the next day. We were offered a free dinner in the hotel as a result - which was a really lovely meal).

Definitely recommend paying slightly more to get the bigger rooms - they are really lovely and value for money. We had a sunken bath (from which you could watch TV!) and separate shower/toilet sink. The rooms were really spacious and perfect for relaxing in after a hard days trekking.

The hotel staff were OK, possibly could try to be a bit more friendly/outgoing But overall service was pretty good, the place was very chilled out and you do not get hassled all the time by porters and doormen, which you sometimes get in the city hotels. We also stayed in the Buenos Aires hotel in this chain, which by comparison was very disappointing.

Definitely recommend doing an ice trek and also take a walk to nearby Lago Numez - a lovely area for viewing birds and stunning view of Lago Argentino.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chopperLondon

Reviewed April 27, 2010

I paid only 64 dollars US a night, but what I got was something that should cost 200 dollars/night (probably does in the high season).

The hotel is perched on top of hill..it's very odd.

The entrance is a little bizarre as well. When the Taxi dropped me off I had ot ask where the entrance was (as it was getting dark and I was tried from flying Igauzu to BA to Calafate).

The lobby smells great and is all about relaxation. Nice large sofas sit in the lobby area.

My room was very nice. Laminate/wooden floors, large bed, beutifical tiled bathroom, very good WIFI throughout the hotel as well.

The best part was the restaurant. Three Letters. WOW. I ate there for two straight nights...whoever the chef is should be praised. Everything from appetizer, to the freshly warmed breads, to the main course to the dessert was fantastic. I had the Chicken the first night and wow wow wow, probably one of the best meals I had during my 2 week stay in Argentina. The following night I had Pumpkin Filled Pasta...again a real tasty pleaser. In addition, the wait staff were very very good, prompt, and really enhanced the meal experience.

Did the Helio Mini trekk Excursion which 100% Recommend to everyone as well.

Overall, this place was a 4.5 out of 5 for me. Can't ask for anything more and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank morphius909

Reviewed April 19, 2010

The fact that this hotel is called 'boutique' does not make it such. This is the worst hotel we have been to in our 2 weeks to Argentina. The staff is young, unprofessional and rude. They don't care about giving good service and say first no to any request. The room size and design were ok, but it was very noisy (from dogs barking and cars) and dirty (we found hair on our blanket, which was replcaed by other dirty blanket). The breakfast has variety but all tasted terrible! The location is not bery good b/c you need to walk up the hill to get there (about 10 mins from the center). Don't waste your time and monwy there. There are a lot of other better alternatives in Calafate.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank VGO20
E03TripAdv, Gerente at Esplendor Hotel El Calafate, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2010

Dear Guest:

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with TripAdvisor. Your comments encourage us to continue working on improving the quality of our accommodations and services. I will definitively share them with my staff. I look forward to the opportunity of hosting your next visit to Argentina.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

This hotel is the equivalent of a 5 star in the US for the price of a super 8! We paid about 65USD/night. The atmosphere is cozy, the decor is earthy and warm yet very chique. Staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were a bit on the warm side, so it was nice to be able to crack the window and let the cold breeze in while we slept. The beds were amazingly comfortable. We travel a lot and this was one of the best hotels we've stayed at.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple