“Nice hotel, a few gotchas”
Review of Hosteria Meulen

Hosteria Meulen
Ranked #41 of 69 Hotels in El Calafate
Reviewed February 28, 2013

If you arrive in El Calafate by airplane, you may want to arrange transport from FTE to the Hosteria Meulen. The owners of the hotel can send a taxi, but they want ARS 240 (US$50). If you take the taxi directly at the airport, you are going to pay a fixed fare of ARS 140 to any hotel in the city. Additionally, you may get a voucher for the return trip, which will cost you just ARS 100.

The hotel is clean and simple. We didn't want any luxuries - just a bed and a shower, so it was perfect for our needs and met our expectations fully. There is a safe in the hotel room, which will cost you one dollar per day should you use it.

The free breakfast is simple and does not change. There is coffee, warm and cold milk, and water if you want to make a cup of tea. You will also find fruit salad, croissants, wafers, cake, ham and cheese and calafate jelly.

The menu for the restaurant did not change the whole week of our stay. It is not bad, but you can find better dishes for the same price in El Calafate's restaurants.

If you can, try to get a room upstairs or toward the end of the corridor. People often arrive late in the evening, and make no attempt in keeping their voice down while staying near the reception desk. Not nice if you want to want to get up early in the next morning for a trip.

The staff is very friendly, sympathetic and helpful.

As in most of the places in El Calafate, you can pay in ARS, US$ or Euros, although their conversion rate may not be the greatest. Just know that you don't need to have pesos if you hadn't the time to exchange them at a bank.

Room Tip: They offer rooms with a view to the lake or to the mountain. The rooms on the mountain side have no...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank UlrichPeters

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Chose this as a bit of a "splurge" since had views and good ratings. Rather far from town if you have no car. With a car, hard to find even with a map since there are no street signs in this area..if you book, remember what it looks like so you can spot it on the hill. Hotel is clean with many antiques and nice, but not spectacular views. Lots of new construction going up around it, but was quiet. Breakfast was the usual room temp ham and cheese but a nice croissant was served. They do offer a shuttle service at certain times, and had both indoor and outdoor sitting areas that were nice enough. But since I don't normally hang around a hotel, I personally would stay closer to town in a less expensive place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank judy s
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just a short walk from Lagoon Nimez the Hosteria Muelen is in a great location. It takes about half an hour to stroll into town. The room overlooking the lake was lovely and the service very friendly. Breakfast was quite ordinary but everyone gets two lovely warm croissants! The sitting room and outside terrace are good places to watch the changing light over the lake.
The only downfall for me was the hefty 21% tax added to the bill, which came as a surprise. Not sure if it would have applied had I paid in cash - a bit late to do anything about that on the last morning on my way to the bus!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sue N
hosteriameulen, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hosteria Meulen, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you very much Susan for your nice comment, it was a pleasure to have you as a guest, and we will glad to see you again, if you returns to El Calafate.
And indeed, by the central that you made ​​the booked, the national taxes are discriminated.
Best wishes
Mariela

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We are a group of 4 sisters from Thailand. We stayed at Meulen for 4 nights. I and my sisters found that this is a very friendly hotel. Staff are nice and very helpful. Rooms are ok. I'm impressed by the extra service the hotel provided as requested.

We asked about a car rental info. The hotel help managed it easily and fast.
I asked the owner about how to order lunch boxes and told her I'll order and at the same time I'd asked her about the possibility to have breakfast boxes and she said she will prepare breakfast for us. Later, my sister said another receptionist at the lobby told her that there would be NO breakfast box for us on a requested date. I was like... confuse, but didn't take it seriously. However, I forgot to order lunch boxes. I didn't anticipated breakfast boxes on the day we're going to Torres del paine, but we got that's impressive. She has a good service mind and remember the tiny little things we asked for.

Thank you very much for making us feel so relax, safe and also for taking good care to all of us.

I would definately recommend this hotels to my friends and everyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chintana T
Reviewed December 4, 2012

After spending time in refugios, it was nice to stay in a propoer hotel. It has a quirky European alpine feel to it. The rooms are very warm and with adequate facilities. Breakfast was typical for the region - a continental type. The staff are quite friendly and most speak reasonable English.

The only downside was that the hotel is about a half hour walk from the middle of town.. They promise a regular shuttle service, but it didnt turn up on Sunday. Cabs are inepensive though. Unfortunately, the location precludes popping into town for a late night drink (the hotel only had 1 type of beer in the bar).

Amazing views of the lake and town from this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2012

When arriving at the hotel I was amazed, I arrived in the hotel about 5:30am and they staff were very friendly and helpful. the rooms were excellent and very clean, it was by far the best holiday my family have been on, everyone is soooo helpful and smiley there…The glaciar is spectacular, I don’t know It is dificult to describe such experience. Everything is awesome in calafate!! I hope to retun one day there…such a nice town.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2012

While Patagonia is a backpackers dream, you might find yourself tempted to forego the backpack and choose a more tranquil rest, if you stay here. It was awfully tempting to extend my stay, thankfully (or may be unfortunately) Meulen was booked for the next few nights, so I remained committed to a backpacking adventure. Beware, Meulen is wonderful and inexpensive...great food, great hosts (thankyou Slvia for offering some of your husband's clothes when the airline lost my pack, and thankyou Paola for the Spanish lessons!). But the view, the postcard somebody has installed in each window is magnificent. Damned Calafate Berry, I'll be back

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank craigwilson w
hosteriameulen, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hosteria Meulen, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Mr Craig:
Thank you very much for your kind comments and value your time in writing, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Hosteria Meulen, our restaurant and our views.
I hope another opportunity if you want to visit, and of course taste calafate berry again!
Best regards.