I thought this was a wonderful experience - Eolo is a Relais & Chateau with all the quality that suggests. It is a long way out of El Calafate (but none the worse for that as El Calafate has not much to recommend it) and if a long way off the road. In fact it is the middle of the Esteppas of Patagonia with the most amazing views over the Andes, Lago Argentina and vistas that go on for miles and miles. No other habitation is in view. The food is magnificent and is taken in a dining room with the most extraordinary views. They also have a splendid collection of Patagonian (and yes I do mean Patagonian) wines.
The hotel has a swimming pool and can arrange riding which is a fantastic experience out on the Esteppas.
The hotel also arranged trips for us on to the Perito Merino Glacier and the Upsala Glacier which included two of most magnificent packed meals I have ever had.
Also a little vignette - our first night here we had already been travelling in Argentina for some time - Argentinian steak is superb but I was craving something different. The hotel offered us salmon but my partner said, don't be ridiculous, it won't be local and probably frozen. So I chose Patagonian lamb which, by the way, is amazing and was prepared in the traditional Patagonian way - on a cross. However, the next day we were taken aback to see the rivers and Lago Argentina teaming with salmon! So I tried the salmon the next day - again it was superb with a somewhat different taste either than European or North American salmon.
Somewhat commented that the service could try harder - I think I can understand this; it is not like staying in a luxury hotel in North America or Europe close to civilisation; this place is in the middle of nowhere and it is an intimate and unique experience!
Eolo is not cheap but I recommend it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- EOLO - Patagonia's Spirit, Relais & Chateaux, is located within an "estancia" of 4,000 hectares (10,000 acres) between El Calafate, Argentina, and the Perito Moreno Glacier. With only 17 room, it offers the most exclusive accommodation of the area with a remarkably complete experience, affording a comfortable and luxurious window onto Patagonian life. Eolo.... Luxury of the simple thing! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your EOLO - Patagonia's Spirit - Relais & Chateaux reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eolo - Patagonia`s Spirit Hotel El Calafate
- EOLO - Patagonia's Spirit - Relais & Chateaux El Calafate, Argentina