Kau Yatun Hotel & Estancia
$64
$68
$67
  • Breakfast included
Posada Los Alamos(El Calafate)
$110
Hotel A.C.A.(El Calafate)
$63
All reviewsminute walksheep herdingseparate companylobby area isrustic hotelcontrol the temperaturebreads and pastriesrustic feelthe staff was friendly and helpfulmiddle of towndowntown el calafatean upgraderestaurants and shopslamblate at nightfour nightscomfortable rooms
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Right, so I wasn't that impressed with the hotels where we were placed by the Travel agent earlier in the trip, but THIS place, Kau Yatun, was exactly what I needed after a whole lot of "tours" (where english wasn't the priority) and "dielo" (Ice) plus landscape that looks like the Karoo....don't get me wrong....astoundingly beautiful as the Karoo is, just drier? We saw a lot of Condors.

Okay that's my opinion on what the road to the 8th Wonder of the world looked like, very different from the adjacent Andes and Perito Merino Glacier (8th wonder)surroundings, a remarkable contrast in fact.

Can't remember the distance to the Glacier but more than and Hour and a half in a minibus.....so a lot of travelling in a day........and then you return to this wonderful homely jewel (Kau Yatun) with copious amounts of room space and a big bathroom, with large mirrors in the room and "Coffee facilities"!! can you believe it? what a plus.

At this stage - the shower curtains it seemed were a standard installation in the country following me around - :), so I had to make semi-peace with the possibly of coming across more of them - though it looked like the inside of Kau Yatun's shower curtains had a replaceable plastic part (I assumed replaced often, so it had to be cleaner? for a biodegradable eco promoting hotel, impressive)

Two three quarter beds in a grandly spacious room, Bill sometimes got in mine through the night or I in his.....fun.

Kau Yatun is run partly still by the original Family who owned the farm, come on they have horses in the back and a greenhouse for their own home grown veggies they use in the Restaurants!, croquet, a second Restaurant (Mayo 5 or something to that effect) which hosts shows and also gives tours in the back yard about 15 meters from the Hotel/Homestead. A mighty big manicured lawn, bicycles, you as guest can use without charge. A welcome drink and I got a small bouquet of flowers. Antique beautiful furnishing and heavy hardwoods as I imagine the house was originally built with. Enormous stack windows, no bars, that open the width of the window frame! onto a beautifully kept garden with Lavender and shorter beach trees I'm assuming "Niere"/or it could have been Poplar.

Can't say much about the town as we went cycling through it in less than an hour, the river indicated on the map by the town's only big Circle had receded.....no idea why, otherwise very touristy. But if you enjoy touristy, the town is bicycle close. We didn't want to really explore more because we had found our "home" in El Calafate, with two restaurants and a bar....really....who wants more?

Homely, spacious, clean, (duck down duvets and pillows, white new linen). The Hotel/Homestead Bar (and they had loads of ice for our tax free whiskey, lol) was exactly three or four meters from our room and just in front of it, the Hotel/Homestead Restaurant had lounge "bucket" chairs as table seats and even though it was located close to our room, minimal noise. The doors were proper solid wood.....must I go on? Go experience it yourself.....I wish ALL hotels were like this one. Just wish we could have stayed maybe 2 days longer.

Shani

Room Tip: Well we were in a Superior Room....but I'm doubtful the other rooms, whether standard or what would differ in space and luxury much. As this was originally a Homestead to start with. The breakfasts in Argentina it seems are more continental, try and make the best of it, ask for more, if you need, and it's a big bargain if there are eggs, the "family" manning the breakfast washed all dishes by hand (Eco friendly) and they were more than happy to make us more eggs even when breakfast serving had officially ended. We should have asked the guide for our tour to speak more English.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sinergia S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Kau Yatun Hotel & Estancia, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thanks for your comments and for choosing us. regards

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I was part of a group that spent several days at the Kau Yatun in December. Except that I would have preferred a venue with a scenic view out the windows it is was a perfect stay. ( I don’t count the lack of a view against the hotel. They don’t suggest that they have one.)

Check out the pictures of the hotel on TA and the hotel’s website. They are very accurate. The public rooms are quite delightful. There is even interesting art in the hallways. My one complaint would be that the guest room was very sterile – it looked very monastic. But the room was large, the bed comfy and the wifi worked – things that are more important to me.

The property is in a residential area 10-15 minutes from the tourist part of El Calafate; it’s an easy walk.

We ate one night at La Tablita, one of the higher-end restaurants in town. Luckily the hotel staff had made a reservation for us because there was a huge wait for those without one. That is probably true in every place that takes reservations; ask the hotel staff, who were very helpful with all of our queries.

I didn’t eat in the hotel but some of my travel-mates did. They reported the food was fine.

BTW, if you are in one of the tour groups that get to El Calafate near the end of the tour, this is the shopping town. And not all of the shops are what some might call ‘tourist crap.’ We had previously talked to residents of Buenos Aires who said they actually buy nice gift items when they are in El Calafate.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank RandiinChicago
Sinergia S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Kau Yatun Hotel & Estancia, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thanks for your comments. Hope to see you soon

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We spent two nights at the hotel, two families of 4 with two kids each. The hotel is very nice, accommodation is ok. The hotel is a little away from downtown so if you decide to walk be ready to go through quiet streets.
The one weak point is the food at the hotel. Breakfast was simply not enough, not enough pastries not enough bread not enough of anything. Service for dinner was also not the best, attitude from waiters and eventually the food not good. I was told is a separate company from the hotel, it might need review on their quality (we paid the rooms separately from restaurant services).

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you very much for the comment, hopefully in the near future. Greetings!!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

If you're like us, your time in El Calafate is not going to be spent at your actual hotel. We spent four nights (one of which consisted of 6 hours total in our hotel) in El Calafate, three of them at Kau Yatun. Our room was very comfortable and spacious, although our windows did overlook the very loud fowl in the yard. Thankfully, we had to be up early everyday we stayed. No television, but the wifi works well (especially compared to other locals in Patagonia).

The restaurant surprised us with delicious dinners twice, at prices more affordable than many of the tourist traps in town. I can highly recommend the lamb. The best I ever had. They also had a couple nice bottles of wine, although we couldn't have the same bottle twice as the were a tad understocked. Service is South American normal, in my opinion. Not overly efficient, but everything does get done in time. Breakfast was the same as almost every place else we stayed on this trip, right down to the very same pastries. Not anything to brag about, but something to put in your belly before a long day of touring. Lunch boxes were the same. Side note: South Road excursions uses the hotel for their lunch boxes, so they are better than par, I would say.

It is a little bit out of town, about a 15 minute walk. If you ask at the desk they will call you a taxi very quickly. We used this service to get to the bus station to go to Chalten and didn't have to reserve the night before as recommended by SayHueque, our tour agency.

The hotel was included in our total trip price, so I'm not 100% sure what we paid to stay, but it all worked out well. Our last night (the night we spent all of six hours in the hotel, total) we were upgraded to the suite, which is in an out building in front of the hotel. It was very nice.

Room Tip: If reserving a standard room in the lodge, as for one on the back side to avoid the fowl.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellecar

thank you very much for the comment, hopefully in the near future. Greetings!!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here with Travelsphere group at Christmas time, lovely rooms with two double beds, Coffee/Tea making facilities, Bath with Shower, ample hot water, opening Windows, free wifi, good Breakfast (pastries, cheese, Ham, Cereal and scrambled Egg). The Restaurant provides a good Steak, Salmon and Goulash etc.,
A nice walk to the town, with lovely gardens and Sheep Sheering demonstrations. Everything the English person wants.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BaldersOxon

thank you very much for the comment, hopefully in the near future. Greetings!!