“Great staff and nice place!”
Review of Hotel Kosten Aike

Hotel Kosten Aike
Ranked #4 of 70 Hotels in El Calafate
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We certainly enjoyed our stay at the Kosten!
They helped us book a new flight when we missed one, gave us an upgrade after we had to combat a demonstration at the border. There manager was very helpful as well as the cute young guys at the desk!
They had a great little gift shop there too!
Would definitely stay there if we returned to El Calafate! We walked all over town at night from the hotel and took lots of day trips! Great home base !

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank kenflo11111
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kosten Aike

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel has an excellent location. The rooms are very comfortable, big and very clean. The staff is very helpful. The best breakfast that I had in my 30 days traveling in Patagonia. If you are traveling by car, the hotel has a secure parking lot. I was going to stay for two nights and finish staying for four days. I full recommend it.
If you consider all this qualities the price is worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank bramex57
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel has an Alpine ski lodge sort of decor...lots of timber and very spacious public areas. The rooms are large and comfortable, in the same Julie Andrews Sound of Music decor, with comfortable bedding. There are a few spacious lounge and bar areas and a games room. The staff are generally pleasant enough, but not outstanding. I expected something a bit warmer and welcoming for a hotel in a remote town, but it is a large hotel catering to big numbers of people, so perhaps I was being unrealistic. The manager on duty for the three days I was there wasn't very pleasant. It is located a couple of blocks from the main street and there are plenty of cafes and shops nearby.

Housekeeping was excellent. The buffet breakfasts offer the usual Argentine variety in a pleasant, light filled room. You can also dine there at night, which can be comforting after a full day of outdoor, adventure type activities. In those circumstances, I don't always feel like going out at night looking for somewhere to eat and often like to come back, have a drink, then shower or have a massage , eat dinner in the hotel and then tuck up in my room. The restauarant catering was good and reasonably priced. Bar prices were OK, but for a reason which I couldn't understand, we were not able to book drinks or food to our room account. It all had to be paid for by cash or credit card straight away. In any case, though puzzling, it wasn't a big problem.

The adventure type tours I took had very early starts and went to places where food wasn't available. The hotel offered a packed lunch which you can order the night before and pick up at breakfast time. There are about 6 menus, including one for gluten intolerants. I thought the lunch packs were good value at around 60 pesos. Mine had a good helping of roast chicken, a carrot/cabbage salad, a small spinach tart, an apple and a bottle of water. I liked it enough to order the same thing for the next day.

On the top floor, there is a gym and hot spa. Cristian is very obliging and offers a range of massages, including one with hot rocks. He was very good at his job and I thought the massages were excellent value at around US$30-40, unlike a lot of other hotels which charge outrageously.

My stay was pleasant enough, though not starling. I would probably stay here again if I ever came back to El Calafate.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JohnJohnG
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed 2 nights as part of our Smartours Patagonia tour. Had a 2 twin room ensuite, 2nd floor facing garden, clean and comfortable, good beds, modern bathroom, personable staff, Try nearby Pura Vida restaurant , small, fresh local food, and a so-so dinner at La Cocina on the main street. Try ATM at Banco Patagonia which seemed to work best. for US bank cards.

Room Tip: Hotel is on a side street so rooms facing front are quiet; also rooms facing garden in the rear.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This hotel is right downtown, three blocks off the "main" strip. Most other hotels are located just outside of town, but after being there with friends and family I think we would have been disappointed with any other option. Make sure you understand exactly how far your hotel is away before you make the reservations - it was great to walk out the door and be right at the bars/shops/restos. Also, some reviews here mention noise, but other than barking dogs we didn't hear a single thing during the nights.

My room was so cozy I slept for nine hours one night and still wanted to stay in bed and stare at the log beam ceiling.

At first I was turned off by the log cabin kitschy decor, but it grew on me and others in my group loved it. I have to say that it fit the hotel perfectly. The breakfast was more than adequate and lasted for hours, so no rushing. The game room was a nice touch, as was the little bar in the lobby. The staff were helpful with getting milk for the baby, finding us adapters, and with a late check-out in one of our two rooms. For the price, it was the best deal going.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2013

let me start by telling you that i usually spend 7 months away from home in hotels so when i travel with my girls (now 5 & 8) i want simple the best i can afford! yesterday my 5 year old woke up & told me " daddy, i love this hotel!" what more can i say? simply to add that my daughters loved their last stay so much that they still remember most of the staff! the friendliest in the world! also the best croissants & brownies!!! the pool, ping pong tables & huge back garden are so important for the kids!!! we live in Buenos Aires and we love Patagonia so that we can have a real connection with NATURE! but since we are city people we are always concerned for their safety so that this garden is a great & safe place for them to play for hours protected from the wind if they still have some energies left after all the hikes!
TIP: we stayed at room 301 this time! great option if you have small kids since the room is REALLY spacious!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pedroporqueras
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were a little concerned about staying at the Kosten Aike because of some of the negative comments we saw on Trip Advisor. We found the hotel to be one of our favorites. Our room, overlooking the small park, was quiet, well lit, and spotless. Breakfasts were good and the coffee was great. We ate in the restaurant and the bar. Both were good, but a bottle of Malbec and a small steak in the bar is hard to beat. The staff was very helpful with directions and gave us a much appreciated late check-out because of our flight time.

El Calafate was a very nice stop on our tour. Our visits to Perito Moreno and Estancia Cristina were not to be missed. Our only regret was that we did not pick up a sheepskin rug while there.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the little park.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple