“So very good we went back the next night with more friends!”
Review of Mi Rancho

Mi Rancho
Ranked #3 of 131 Restaurants in El Calafate
Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Mi Rancho is a small restaurant which operates in a historic house of 1944. Its 100% homemade food is made from regional raw materials. The old clay oven where the bread is made and some dishes stand out. The place is small so it is advisable to book in advance due to the high demand season.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Mi Rancho is a joy to visit in this town. Excellent food, beautifully presented. Roberto does front of house with charm and humour whilst his wife is the very talented chef. Small but warm and friendly restaurant. Does not take reservations - you just turn up.

We were in town for two nights as part of a tour of Chile, Argentina and Brazil with another couple of friends. We all enjoy good food and this was the best we have found thus far. We so enjoyed our first meal we returned with another couple on the second evening and enjoyed not only terrific food and wine but fun and entertainment too from a group of French tourists who sang some lovely Catalan folk songs. We responded with Cwm Rhonda as two of our group are Welsh. Roberto loved it all as did the other guests and we all agreed it was a great restaurant in every possible way - do go, you will not be disappointed. Three courses and three bottles of wine cost us the equivalent of £30 a head - great value. Bill comes in three currencies - pesos, US$ and €.

Thanks Roberto and all the very best to you both.

Pam and Bob Burn
Letchworth, UK

Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I´m so glad we found this little restaurant, down a side street in El Calafate. The owner, Robert, is also the waiter and looks after everyone brilliantly. He will always recommend the Ossobuco and it is really good, but we also tried the Lomo steak which is served with a mushroom quinoa risotto - gorgeous. We went there 2 nights and on the 2nd one I had the trout which is grilled with a shrimp and lemon sauce with vegetables on the side. It was a delicious respite from the ubiquitous meat!
The restaurant is in a very unassuming "house" but inside it´s warm, cosy and friendly. Robert greets everyone with a warm handshake and remembered us when we came back a few days later. Highly recommended.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was a very tasty spot. First time there I had the Osso Bucco, and it was very tasty and the risotto was especially yummy !

My second meal there I had a steak, which underwhelmed me. I almost had the lasagna - wish I had. He also is very accommodating and offered to add cream sauce to the lasagna if I wanted it and I am sure would do almost anything for you.

Like other people have said, the owner is super friendly and really makes you feel welcome. I would definitely go to this restaurant.

Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We've been to several restaurants in el calafate and this was by far the best one.
We had the lomo, lamb stew, wine and apple crumble for desert.
They give you great homemade bread for starters.
Everything was great.
Great service, great food, great atmosphere and isn't more expensive than other similar restaurants.
Downsides:
The servings are not big but well enough.
The wine is more expensive than other places.

All in all would definitely recommend this to any one coming to do calafate.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

The food was very good. We ordered a wine from Patagonia and it was great! The owner is from Uruguay and makes everyone feel welcome. He loves to make a chat with everyone. So overall a great restaurant!