“Great bar, with superb decor and atmosphere, and great local beer”

Borges y Alvarez Libro-Bar
Ranked #31 of 123 Restaurants in El Calafate
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: This is a really great bar in the center of town that serves microbrewery beers, whiskeys, hot chocolate and coffee drinks. It is also a book store fillefilland there
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in El Calafate during our honeymoon, and frequented the bar on a number of occasions. It's laidback feel, excellent decor and great locally produced beer, made for a perfect place to relax. We only had bar snacks, rather than a full meal, but they were very good. Another plus, free popcorn with your first drink. Good music and friendly staff too.

There are newer reviews for Borges y Alvarez Libro-Bar

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Despite the pubs atmosphere, the rest is average. I had a steak with salad that was awful and my wife wok vegetables that was drowned in sit sauce to a level that made u gag. Very bad food, even for a pub. There was hardly any beer to choose from either and the service was without a smile. Very disappointing

Reviewed March 1, 2013

great bar - lots of character, feels like you're in a ski town bar. Huge selection of wines and drinks, plus a decent food menu too

Reviewed February 22, 2013

This place does a great range of coffee, cocktails and beer. Do bear in mind that this is set at very tourist prices so you will pay a lot but its worth a treat every now and again.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We heard about this place in guidebooks and Tripadvisor so wanted to see what the fuss was about. We came in the afternoon for a drink and snack and sat upstairs overlooking the main street. I like the atmosphere and the view but that was about it. The beers they had were expensive at $32 pesos for a small bottle. I ordered empanadas, $10 pesos each, and the waitress said something in spanish which unfortunately I didn't understand (my fault of course though) so I just repeated myself and she said okay. So I wasn't sure what was wrong. When the empanadas came out 1 of them looked and tasted okay, but the 2nd one just looked ridiculous. I don't know how she could serve something like that. It was soggy and looked like it was made out of phyllo dough and when I picked it up it just fell apart. I couldn't find our waitress so I told another waitress about it. She looked at it with a grossed out face and took it back and I saw her showing it to another member of staff. She spoke a little English and came back and told us that they actually don't make empanadas anymore. I suppose that was what the first waitress was trying to tell me but if they don't make them anymore then how did I get 2 random ones?! Anyway just weird. She brought me a menu to order something else but I was turned off by the food and didn't feel like getting anything else. She looked like she felt bad and brought us over a bowl of popcorn complimentary. Anyways I would come here for a coffee but found the drinks to be expensive and found it suspect they would serve random food that they didn't think was good to customers.