“The friendliest service in Argentina!”
Review of Hospedaje Lautaro

Hospedaje Lautaro
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in February and loved it. The owners Belen & Dario could not be more friendly and helpful. They are both wonderful, with great enthusiasm for the town, the sights, and their customers. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated, there is always hot water and there is a garden with tables and chairs so you can sit outside and enjoy the sun. The breakfast is included and is really good plus Dario cooks a large variety of food for dinner each night of you don't want to go to one of the local restaurants (they are all quite expensive). I would definitely stay at Hospedaje Lautaro again if I returned to El Calafate and I wish other hostels in Argentina were this good!

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed March 20, 2013

After reading all of the amazing reviews, and having a personal recommendation from a friend, we were always going to stay here when we arrived in El Calafate. Everything you read about the friendliness of this place is true.

We stayed in a double room, which was basic but nice, and very clean. The bed was comfortable, warm and clean. We shared a bathroom which was clean and had a good shower.

We stayed here on three separate occasions within about 10 days. Returning both times really felt like coming home. We couldn't have felt more welcome here. These guys will go out of their way to help you with whatever you need, tour bookings, flight confirmations, hire cars, washing, the lot!

The last thing - the food! There isn't really a good reason to eat anywhere else! We ate here on two occasions and the food was incredible! It's priced like a restaurant, but worth every peso. Try the Pastel de Papas if you want something hearty and warming - real comfort food. The steak at the table beside us looked great too. The evenings eating here were our favourite ones in El Calafate.

Breakfasts are good too. There is freshly squeezed orange juice, good coffee and home made jams and bread.

If you stay there, say hello from Keith and Steph, and enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This couple and their children are very nice. He is a very good cook, BTW, and eating there, although isn't any savings, helps support their family. There are two buildings, the main one where you check in. There are rooms and baths in that building. There is no common room to get to know other guests, but they have a few tables for breakfast service. The second building next door has privates and one dorm with four beds (2 bunks), but sadly the bunks were not built for any head room. I got quite a few egg bumps, one smack on the forehead and I'm short. It's nice to have a couple comfortable chairs in that space along with a mini-kitchen and use of a refrigerator and a long dining table, in case you want to cook. As El Calafate doesn't really have much more to see than Perito Moreno (which you MUST see! - BTW, you can also get a bus out of El Chalten to see the PM glacier) although the little town is very touristy and has some fabulous restaurants with high price tags. This hospedaje has a fabulous location, but sadly I was there when the spiders birthed and spent the following two months nursing gigantic spider bites all over my legs (all from one night) and they DO clean the rooms, so it was just bad luck. For single travelers, perhaps a hostel is more fun, but you can't beat the location of this place, nor the friendliness.

1  Thank Morningstar83
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is definitely one of the best hostels I've ever been to, and I've been to quite a few! As soon as I walked through the doors I got a warm welcome and felt at home right away. Even though there are mostly double rooms and, I think, just one 4-bed dorm, the place was very social. Belén always introduces people to each other and so it is very easy to start a conversation (I travelled alone). She was also very helpful with booking buses, trips and accommodations.

Breakfast was very good, loved the bread, and there is free coffee/tee the whole day. The small guest kitchen was spotless and provided everything you need to cook a meal.
The food for dinner was very tasty and it was enough food for me to put half of it away and eat it for lunch the next day.

Loved my stay and would definitely go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The dorm room was clean and nice. The showers had hot water. The owners were very nice and friendly. Wifi was only available in the common area which closed at night. If you email them ahead of time, they can help reserve a ticket to Puerto Natales for you which is key since there are only a few buses that run each day and they fill up fast. I didn't eat dinner there, but the dinners looked fantastic and had huge portions. Exchange money at the pizza/sandwich place up the street.

2  Thank musubi_hk
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The staff at Hospedaje Lautaro is amazing and will always greet you with a smile no matter what hour, as if you are family returning from a long trip. They will do whatever they can to make you make you welcome and to have an excellent stay. For example, I booked a tour that picked me up at 5:30am, and Belen arranged a breakfast basket of bread for me so that I could eat before I left, even though it was outside the normal breakfast hours. Other small perks such as an common-use netbook which provides a nice break from using one's phone on Wifi (also available, but might be slightly weak in the dorm building). They also transported my bags while I was on a tour so that my room change was ready for me when I got back late.

The rooms, however, were inconsistent. I stayed one night in the two-person dorm, and 2 nights in a double room with private bathroom (that I had to myself). The dorm room was a little shabby with holes in the mattress, worn floor, and a questionable lock, but no real major issues. My particular room was close to the common kitchen, which can be noisy late at night, depending on the habits of the other guests.

The double room in the main building was MUCH nicer (better quality more comfortable beds, separate sink area, and roomier bath/shower area) and feels more like a home. I would recommend this type of room over the dorms, unless you are on a budget. The rooms in the main building are also quite close to the reception area which sometimes can have a little bit of noise late at night, but nothing really to worry about.

Homemade bread and jams were excellent. My biggest regret is forgetting to participate in the homemade dinner that they provide since El Calafate has a lot of moderate dining (a few gems too), but seems like Lautaro would have been a great place to try.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with the private bath, they are of much better quality and comfort than the dorms...
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have only good things to say about this amazing hostel. The owners are wonderful--Belén was delightful and warm and her husband Dario was equally as nice. The room we had (double bed with private bathroom) was spacious, clean and comfortable. The common areas (kitchen, eating area, etc) are great too. Breakfast was made up of delicious homemade breads and jams as well as cereal, yogurt, coffee, tea, etc. I also highly recommend eating dinner there, as Dario is an incredible chef. The location is great, just a couple blocks away from the main street. A fantastic experience all around!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple