All reviewsfossil canyonupsala glacierday trippershorseback ridingboat rideovernight guestskm hikeincredible experienceawe inspiringdelicious lunchnational parklong hikegreat hikingonce in a lifetimehighlight of our tripspecial placeviews of the mountains
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We had a lovely stay at Estancia Cristina! We arrived after an interesting boat trip, which took us past ice bergs across Lago Argentina. The staff were very friendly and we received professional, individual service, which is not easy to find anymore. The rooms were lovely with panorama views of the mountains and horses grazing in the fields. They offer a range of activities: we went for a hike and then horse-riding the first day and the second day we joined the day tourists for a trip up the mountain in the 4x4 and then hiked down past the glacier. The views were outstanding. Staying at Estancia Cristina was certainly the highlight of our trip to Argentina. And we look forward to returning again soon!

Reviewed January 25, 2011

First you think - this is a lot of money for staying on an estancia. But when you leave your think it was really worth it:

- personal service at its best (eat when you want, what you want, where you want)
- very warm atmosphere, more a friend than a guest
- incredible tours - with personal guides, and I mean personal - you and the guide

After really having traveled around the world I would rate Estancia among the top 3 hotels to stay - and most likely it would not come up No. 3. It is a Must Go and Must Stay if you are in Patagonia. Rather save a little longer :-)

Reviewed January 16, 2011

This is an incredible place accessible only by boat, and surrounded by mountains, a lake and a glacier. The highlight of the trip is the 4 hour walk down from the glacier (you get there with a 4x4 - 45 min drive) where you walk through terrain that it was covered by the glacier only 70 years ago. It is impossible to describe how unique this estancia and location is. The hotel is very nice and comfortable, and the food is excellent. I would not recommend staying more than 2 nights though (it is actually 3 full days) because the menu is the same every single day (with 3-4 options) and you are only allowed to take long hikes with guides because it is a very protected park. When we first arrived there I thought that this restriction was not good, but after I got to know the history of the place and see the incredible location, I fully understand and support the idea of limiting access to the visitors. There are day visitors also but they are kept away from the lodging visitors. I would certainly recommend spending at least one night there, optimally 2 but certainly no more than 3.

2  Thank Athina123
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We read about Estancia Cristina in the New York Times piece on Patagonia-- it essentially said if you can splurge for one night this was the place to do it. That is just the start. This was the highlight of my family of six's entire two week holiday in Argentina. I think what tipped me over the edge was the website which does give you a pretty good sense for what you will see. The boat ride to get to the Estancia is amazing, the food was awesome (though service a little slow), the rooms are phenomenal, peaceful and have unreal views of the mountains. We went on the trek to the Upsala glacier, which was four hours and absolutely amazing. You will literally see the geological trauma and evidence of the collision of the Pacific and South American plates. I just wish I had read up on the geology of the region more before the hike. We also did the horse back ride which was excellent. I can't recommend this enough. Even for a one night excursion out of El Calafate it is well well well worth the money-- two nights would have been fun too but one night is definitely worth it (my dad had thought it might be too much trouble, but it really wasn't) and you will leave in awe.

3  Thank daisyglass11
Reviewed December 10, 2010

You can only get to this Estancia by boat, if the boat is not running due to bad weather then your trip can be cancelled or cut short which just adds to the lure of the place for me! We were very lucky in fact, the day after we arrived the boat was cancelled and the day after we left it was also cancelled, but thankfully for us it all went smoothly apart from having snow, gale force winds and rain all in one day!

The rooms are very nice with good beds and comfortable bathrooms and wonderful views to rabbits and birds eating in the grass outside our window. They are however very cold and the heating didn't seem to be on high enough or long enough. Also the lights go out at 11pm as the generator is switched off overnight. However it is not switched on again until 8am and so the rooms were icy boxes when we were trying to get up and have a shower.

The food served at the estancia was good although the menu limited for lunch and dinner, and it would have been nice to see eggs or something hot available for breakfast, and the boxed lunches could have been better.

The excursions offered are good although the day we went riding the weather was very bad and in reality we should not have gone up the mountain on horseback but neither the gaucho or the person in charge of excursions seemed to be worried about the weather. The walk through the fossil canyon from the mirador of the upsala glacier should not be missed, although its a long walk and we had to walk fast to get back to the estancia in time for the boat, it would have been nice to have a bit more time to take in the scenery.

The estancia is very nice and I would recommend it. However the people in charge are all very young and at times lacking in experience/professionalism. I would like to see someone older/more experienced in charge of the hotel/excursion side of the estancia.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple