“Awesome and helpful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hielo y Aventura
Ranked #1 of 26 Tours in El Calafate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Concessionary company of Glaciers national parks, certified by a quality standard ISO 9001:2008. We develops excursions to walk over Perito Moreno glacier, and navigate in front of its southern wall. Minitrekking: 10 hours tour, including transportation from Calafate, one hour visit to panoramic view point, 20 minutes navigation, and 1:40 hour trek on the ice. Physical effort: Medium high Big Ice: 12 hours tour, including transportation form Calafate, half an hour visit to the panoramic view point, 20 minutes navigation, 3:30 hours trekking on the ice. Physical effort: High. Safari Nautico: one hour navigation in front of the southern face of Perito Moreno Glacier. It does not include transportation. It can be purchased in the park, the day of the tour.
Iselin, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome and helpful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We did mini trekking. The experience was simply awesome. I would definitely suggest everyone to check your shoes before you go there. As I was wearing wrong shoes I was in pain throughout my hike. I have to give 5 stars as the guides were really helpful. I once slipped and was about to fall in the crevice. But our guide saved my life! I am really thankful to them.
Just wear proper shoes, clothes, and hand gloves. You will have time of your life. They give you enough time to see the glacier and enough time to take photos.

Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
los angeles
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Unforgettable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Trekking on Perrito Moreno was an experience of a lifetime. It was worth every penny - and it wasn't cheap.

The guides were incredible, from the guide on the bus, to the guides on the trek. I felt like I was in good hands.

Visited March 2013
La Paz
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Almost too perfectly organised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is one of those times where you just want everything to fall into place - and it does! If there is a bad remark - you could say it is too expensive - but that is a tuff call - because you know the price when you sign up. The organisation was just stunning - picked up and dropped off at hotel like clock work. An amazing thing is that our bus had a breakdown - at which point my wife and I rolled our eyes and said "here we go" - but without fuss a new bus turned up right away. It was a totally awesome trip - but I guess if you don't like to be over-organised don't go on it - but if you do like everything to be on time and scehdule - and even more importantly - for the site to be better than expected - then awesome!!

Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Big Ice - an incredible day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We took the big ice trip a few weeks ago at the end of February, and it was amazing. We had only 3 nights in El Calafate and that gave us two full days for trips and so we spent an awful lot of time looking at all the options and trying to work out which ones to do. In the end we chose this one and the Estancia Christina one and both were 5* days, and couldn't recommend them more highly.

We had concerns before we went about the cost (something like GBP250 for both of us) and whether we would be fit enough, and what to wear. On the cost side of things, yes it is expensive, but it includes a quite lengthy bus ride - the glacier is 80km from EC and so takes time to get you there, and they stop on the way at a viewing platform where you can get good pictures of the face of the glacier. Then the bus continues and you have to pay an additional 100 pesos each as entrance to the national park, then a boat ride, and you are split into groups, and we had two experienced guides with us who spoke good English and who were with us the whole time plus the use of crampons. When you factor all of this into the price, it doesn't feel so bad - and especially given you need experienced guides because there is a good bit of potential for danger and injuries...and experience I guess doesn't come cheap. I'd rather pay a bit extra and have people who know what they are doing. The bus and boat were also comfortable and looked well maintained.

Regarding fitness, I usually run 4 times a week but my fitness was a little off at the time of the trip, and I found it totally manageable but I was exhausted at the end of the day. My wife was carrying a slight hamstring injury and hadn't exercised properly for a couple of months and she managed just fine. We are 41 and 38 respectively and I think we were probably the oldest ones in the group. It is a pretty long day being picked up around 7:30am and dropped back after 7pm.

The start of the hike is a 45 min uphill hike on the side of the mountain on fairly well maintained paths. I'd rate this as a 6 or 7 out of 10 on the exertion front. You then get to the base camp and get given your crampons. Hiking on the ice lasts about 3.5 hours and while the crampons give excellent grip, it is tricky because the terrain is so steep at times, and you have to be very careful to not twist an ankle or end up in freezing melt water. It takes some concentration at times, and that can rule out looking around and waiting until the group stops to take pictures.

We struggled before we left home to get a good picture of the level of exertion so hopefully my description helps. We also struggled to know what to wear so I'll try to go into that. Late Feb is still summer, and it was mostly cloudy but when the sun came out it was quite warm and we were trekking with our coats open and just wearing a t-shirt underneath. We took a fleece each too and did use them at times such as sitting down eating the packed lunch which you have to take for yourself. In total we took the following: medium weight ski jacket, gloves (totally mandatory given the sharp ice and if you don't take any, they make you take a pair from the communal bucket - yuk!) hat, t-shirt, fleece top, weatherproof lightweight fleece lined hiking trousers, hiking boots.

We didn't own any beforehand trousers or hiking boots and picked both up from Cotswold Outdoors (good service and advice) in the UK in the sale and spend £160 on boots and trousers for both of us. A few people in the group rocked up in jeans and trainers but I really wouldn't recommend this at all. Trainers are especially not crampon friendly because they have flexible soles and one chap broke his crampon but the guides do carry limited spares.

As for the hiking itself, it was incredible - the ice looks like huge whipped meringue or something, and has incredible blue colours where the water melts. We crawled through mini ice caves, saw incredible sink holes where the water roars as it pours in and crashes down hundreds of meters below and saw so much beauty in the shapes nature had carved. We work in central London, so the joy of being so far from people and noise and pollution was immeasurable.

So, yes it's a bit pricey. Yes, it's a bit tiring. Yes, you have to take a lot of clothes which if you are also visiting hot places like we did is a pain but it was all worthwhile.

Visited February 2013
5 Thank whitfies
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Excellent day out on the Perito Moreno glacier”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We definitely suggest mini trek to everyone who does not have walking problem as walking on the ice with crampons is not very easy but with slight back and hip problems I was fine. The guides are very helpful and careful. It is a must experience and you must buy it with balcony visit. magnificent views lay the beauty and incredibility if the glacier in front of you. We tried to book online before we came to El Calafate but Hielo Y Aventura does not have online payment facility. You can sent your card details on e-mail for them to process the payment but we did not trust e-mail for obvious reasons. At the end we booked when we arrived to El Calafate. They accept credit card. This is important because on Sunday there is no exchange bureau open. You can also book through travel agents but the prices are nearly double, so go to the real guys. An important info about the lunch, you can leave your lunch packs in the refuge before your walk starts. It is great relief. You do not have to carry your back packs on the walk. The walk on ice is about 90 minutes so you will be fine. Is thirsty, there is plenty of water on the pockets of the glacier. You can buy your sandwiches from the supermarkets and Viva La Pepa cafee. Do not forget that you have to pay National Park entrance fee separately. Take enough cash for it. Enjoy your trip

Visited March 2013