“Best stay yet in Argentina!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Schilling Hostal Patagonico

Schilling Hostal Patagonico
Ranked #3 of 38 El Calafate B&B and Inns
Cornwall, Canada
“Best stay yet in Argentina!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

My dad and I showed up with no reservations in El Calafate. Our first stop was booked and we were kindly direct to Hostal Schilling. My dad hadn't stayed in a hostal in probably 20 years and we both loved it here. The new owners are lovely and were super helpful to us knowing the area well, with connections. The rooms clean and practical, the common areas oozing with ambiance. The location is great: 1 block west of bus station and 1 block north of the main strip and a supermarket. We then went to El Chalten (amazing) and then stayed at Schilling Hostal again upon return. Would have stayed longer but had a prepaid flight out. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Peacock8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed at Hosteria Schilling for two nights in December 2012. The conditions are good (I picked it because its ratings and price seemed a good middle-ground (El Calafate is relatively expensive and over-touristy in my opinion). The breakfast was relatively modest, but decent overall. Good internet signal, too. Good bed, decent bathroom. The location is just 3 minutes walking from the main street.

The main reason why I gave five stars to this place is the treatment from the owner's part (Carlos, I believe; he has lots of pictures in the lobby area, from his trips as far as Egypt). He arranged for my Perito Moreno Glacier trip for $640 AR, or USD at 5:1, all (including the conversion rate) agreed upon by email days before the trip. I could not exchange USD so I paid at 5:1 (still better than the 4.87:1 you got in the bank). But one day after the tour & payment I managed to exchange USD at 6.1:1 and I went back to him. He agreed to give me back my USD and accept pesos, effectively loosing money, even though he had no obligation to reconsider the conditions of the deal.

Secondly, when I had to go to the airport he arranged for a shuttle for me with just 3 hours notice from my part. But the shuttle company bailed out (too bad I cannot remember their name) and I had to get a cab for 2x the price. Carlos called them and criticized them and he really tried to push them to deliver on their promise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ceciliasma, Gerente at Schilling Hostal Patagonico, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thanks very much for your opinion. We are the new owners, so if you return to Calafate, please come back to Hostal Schilling, so you are going to see the changes. best regards, Cecilia