We just finished a 13 day trip in Argentina/Chile and El Galpon del Glaciar in El Calafate was, by far, the most delightful place we stayed. Everything from the welcome beverage and lunch, to the always friendly and helpful staff, to the amazing broad view of rolling land, wildlife and Lake Argentina, to the included excursions (read on), to the excellent dining. I just can't recommend it enough. Excusions: four hours in the evening include a guided tour of a working sheep ranch complete with hot chocolate and pastries, herding demonstration (using dogs and horses), horseback ring race (everyone can try!), nature/botanical tour of the grounds, sheep shearing demonstration, sit down dinner with an amazing variety of salads, fruits, vegetables, breads, and lamb served five ways (tenderloin, ribs, sausages), followed by a folkloric dance show. All included in our package!
The other included excursion was a horseback ride across the pastures and down to the immense Lake Argentina shore for 1-2 hrs depending in your wishes. We loved it - great horses and guides attuned to your needs (take it easy, gallop like the wind, discuss the region, etc.).
Things to know:
Located about 15 minutes outside of El Calafate but on the way to Perito Moreno Glaciar (which is why most people go to El Calafate). So if you prefer nature and views to the hubbub of town, it's perfect. They also include airport transfers!
Rooms are delightful with balconies, some with views of Lake Argentina, some not. Definitely ranch style rooms and if you have noisy neighbors, you will hear them - but those folks don't usually come here.
A wonderful relaxing oasis on a busy Argentina tour.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only 20 kilometers away from El Calafate, on the same way to the Perito Moreno Glacier, is an old sheep farm named "El Galpon del Glaciar". The establishment is surrounded by 3,5 kilometers of shore of the Lago Argentino and by 1,5 kilometers of riverbank of the Centinela River: both offer an ideal environment to enjoy activities in contact with nature. Welcome. We will be waiting for you to know and to enjoy Patagonia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Cancelon so you can book your El Galpon del Glaciar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Galpon Del Glaciar Hotel El Calafate
- El Galpon Del Glaciar El Calafate, Argentina - Patagonia