We had 3 nights almost on our own here (April 2011), and it almost felt like we were just friends calling in at the ranch. It's a great location out of the touristy bustle that is now El Calafate, and is nearer to Perito Moreno in any case. It also has great views across the lake to the north, and the landscape of Patagonia everywhere else.
The girls looking after the place were very friendly and helpful, the food was great, and having breakfast watching the ibises on the lawn, a whole new experience!
The rooms are a little small and basic, and wi-fi only in available in the restaurant.
With more time, we could have exploited the location even more, but the ranch tour is well worth doing to see something of the traditional existence and the sheep farming that is the staple here.
Perito Moreno is fabulous, but the all-day boat trip to the Upsala and Spagazzini glaciers is even more awesome - don't miss it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only 20 kilometers away from El Calafate, on the same way to the Perito Moreno Glacier, is an old sheep farm named "El Galpon del Glaciar". The establishment is surrounded by 3,5 kilometers of shore of the Lago Argentino and by 1,5 kilometers of riverbank of the Centinela River: both offer an ideal environment to enjoy activities in contact with nature. Welcome. We will be waiting for you to know and to enjoy Patagonia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Booking.com, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your El Galpon del Glaciar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Galpon Del Glaciar Hotel El Calafate
- El Galpon Del Glaciar El Calafate, Argentina - Patagonia