“Awesome bread”

Pura Vida Resto Bar
Ranked #7 of 120 Restaurants in El Calafate
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We opon every day except on wendsdays.
hong kong
“Awesome bread”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

So this place was highly recommended and I could see why. The portions were huge and the food looked amazing. But if you're a non-lactose, non-red meat person, this isn't really the place for you. I basically had to order a salad and enjoy the bread since everything non-red meat had cream in it. I know, why go to Argentina if you don't eat beef? It happens and I have to say that if it wasn't for the lactose part, Pura Vida had some awesome looking dishes. But sharing a dorm room with strangers requires some consideration and besides, the bread and salad were pretty filling even after a long day of trekking.

Visited February 2013

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Awful service and veeeeeeery long waiting time”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We arrived at the restaurant the minute it opened, i.e. we were the first ones there. However, it still took the waiter 40min to get our orders and then we had to wait for food for more than 2 hours!! The longest I have ever waited anywhere in the world. When we asked the waiter whether our food was still coming, he said "well, this is how it works here, deal with it". I'm all for a laid back lifestyle, but this is just not the right way to treat customers.

Food is ok, but the problem is that after waiting for 3 hours and eating a huge loaf of bread they serve up front (which I admit is amazing - warm and home made - best bread I've ever had in a restaurant), we were not hungry any more and couldn't enjoy the food at all. It might have been good, but it was impossible to say after such a long waiting time - a pity really. In general, the portions are very generous, so it's sufficient to order 1 dish for 2. Wine selection is very good.

• Visited December 2012
Buenos Aires
“Great local food”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

It is better to get early here as they don't take reservations.
The local food is very good. We love soups and this is one of the few places where we could order tomato and,or, pumpking soup.
The lamb pudding and the lamb pie where excellent.

Visited February 2013
Sunnyvale, California
“Great service with mediocre food”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The service was very good. But I had the worst lasagna dish I ever had. It was mostly melted cheese with very little pasta

Visited January 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great vibe and service, disappointing food”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Okay I'm giving this place a 4 star despite the food. I'm hoping I just ordered a dish I just didn't like and other dishes are better. When we arrived we were pleasantly impressed by the decor. The restaurant is very warm, inviting and has a great atmosphere where you just feel like relaxing. They told us the wait would be about 20 minutes and gave us menus to look at in the meantime. Overall the service by everyone was really nice. We were seated upstairs at a great table overlooking the lobby area. The restaurant has a great view of nature which adds the ambiance. We ordered empanadas carne which were pretty good and were looking forward to our main course of lamb stew which we decided to share as the portion sizes are huge. We both enjoy lamb and never had lamb stew before and thought it was be right for us to try that here in Patagonia. Well the stew came out and looked very impressive with a pastry topping. We were excited. But when we took a first bite the meat tasted terrible. It had a bitter taste to it. And the texture was hard. It tasted pretty much like leftover lamb which has been reheated which is often not very pleasant. We wished we had ordered something less adventurous like the chicken pot pie or lasagna. Well anyways for the atmosphere and service I would try this restaurant again but would avoid ordering lamb.

• Visited February 2013