“Avoid the Marcopolo Inn, Bariloche”
Review of Marcopolo Inn

Marcopolo Inn
Suffern, New York
“Avoid the Marcopolo Inn, Bariloche”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Over-priced nonsense. The only thing the Marcopolo Inn had going for it was location. Definitely look elsewhere before pulling the trigger on a reservation at this place.
The staff enticed guests to stay by saying how breakfast and dinner were included. Both the breakfast and dinner were deplorable. In the morning, I was given a few pieces of bread and some butter. Prisoners eat better. Dinner was atrocious. One night it was a bowl of rice with a little tomato sauce on top. Another night it was a plate of overcooked, tasteless pasta. As if to add insult to injury, you have to wash your own dishes.
They advertised wifi, but I was told on check-in, ‘don’t expect it to work.’ Really? Reputable businesses don’t advertise services that they don’t really have.
The sheets and blankets on the bed were stained and disgusting. The room itself was no frills, with tiny, uncomfortable beds. The staff was stingy with the toilet paper. There was a bar next store that created quite a bit of noise to the wee hours. The receptionist lacked basic knowledge of the city – he didn’t know where the movie theater was.
In summary, you pay a lot to stay here and get little.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank rucksack67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
peshawar
Reviewed December 9, 2011

when i into this hotel so nice and i very like this if ever when i come again i ll come here..

Room Tip: rooms at the corner
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed there for two nights, after reserving almost a week. The first night was in a double room. It was a mediocre room, but not terrible, except that a double there costs much more than countless places of superior quality. (just on their street, there are two hotels that have doubles that are nicer for far less) The staff was a little icky, but not unbearably so- although watching the clerk rudely telling an older man (who had reserved a room on HostelWorld and not not confirmed 48 hours before) that they gave his room to someone else was a terrible experience. (yes, you can PAY money to HostelWorld and STILL not get your room. What a terrible system!)

The next night, we were joined by two friends and took all four beds in a dorm room. The hot water didn't work, and when we complained, we were told, yes, there's a problem, just wait for three hours and it will work. Rudely. As if we were CRAZY to expect hot water when we needed it, and waiting three more hours was entirely acceptable. The dorm room was considerably dingier and uglier than the double, too. The beds were missing boards and the reading light fell off the wall onto one of us.

Dinner was fine, though, and there's a nice atmosphere at dinner.

That night there was crazy noise all night long, and we couldn't sleep at all. And we were on one of the upper floors. We left even though we had paid a 10% advance for all the nights. The indifferent staff didn't even ask us why.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank eyalandhila
Brasil
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I traveled to Bariloche in July 2008, not 2009, but this page doesn't alow me to use the real date (and I should have posted this comment at that time here on Trip Advisor too, I'm sorry for the late post and I hope they still publish this, since it can help many people).
The case is that this hostel (unfortunately) is a Hostelling International hostel, which makes us feel safe while booking. But this is not a safe place at all.
I traveled with a friend to Foz do Iguaçú, Buenos Aires and Bariloche, and on the first night there, while we where having the free dinner downstairs, somebody got inside my room (which was locked) and stole my backpack (full of things plus a digital camera and a moviemaker).
Staff from the hostel did nothing but go with us to the police. The point is: my stuff was in the 4th floor and they started to say that "somebody got my backpack from the window". I had no help at all, even when I came back to Brazil and continued sending emails to the hostel and Hostelling International. I also tried a help from the Tourism Secretary in Bariloche, but they said to me that the hostel wouldn't do anything for me. They also said that this wans't the first time something like that happened in Marcopollo Inn Bariloche.
I really hope this post is published. I have lots of emails sent to the Tourism Secretary in Bariloche, Hostelling International and to Marcopollo Inn Bariloche to prove that what I say here is truth.
Please, choose another place to enjoy your holidays and end up your trip happy and not sad as me, after losing all my pictures besides my stuff.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank rdsilva
London
Reviewed February 12, 2010

The hostel offers free breakfast and dinner as part of the deal and although simple meals, they're well prepared, healthy and tasty. I stayed on the top floor where it was very very quiet but overheard guest who were staying on the 1st and 2nd floors complaining about the noise from the common room at night. The room I had was clean but the shower was terrible, alternating between hot and cold and very poor pressure. Staff were friendly and helpful.

In high season (Jan/Feb) book in advance as they get booked out very quickly.

Small warning, do not book via Hostel World as I met 3 different people whose reservations were paid in advance and confirmed but when they arrived at the hostel itself, the reservation didn´t exist. Staff say this happens often with that system. You won´t be refunded - only will get a free meal at the hostel if you´re lucky!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Ireland
Reviewed November 26, 2009

We stayed in a double room and thought Marcopolo was good value for Bariloche - on a quiet street but close to center. The staff were really helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Rathdrum, Ireland
Reviewed June 9, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights and wished we had booked the Irish hostel across the road. We felt that this hostel was overpriced. Our room was spacious, but when we opened the curtains we found ourselves staring at a brick wall (no wonder the curtains were closed when we arrived). The food was nice and the staff were friendly and helpful. It is not a bad hostel, but definitely overpriced. Everyone we talked to felt the same.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple