“Bad experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tronador

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Carlos de Bariloche
Hotel Tronador
You added Hotel Tronador to your Saves list
Sobre lago Mascardi, ruta provincial 82 | Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi, San Carlos de Bariloche 8400, Argentina   |
Hannover, Germany
“Bad experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I booked 5 nights at Hotel Tronador over Christmas. Since it was our honeymoon and therefore very special for us, I requested a room with a balcony, Paula replied saying a room was available for us and we would have an excellent lake view.

When we arrived on 23rd Dec, we were given no proper welcome, just told our room number and the taxi driver took us up. The room was at the side of the property at the back, it was very basic (with 3 beds, not ideal for a romantic honeymoon!) and the main view was actually of the car park, if you stood at one particular angle you could see the side of the lake!

Thinking there must have been some mistake, we went to talk to Paula. After ringing the bell at the front desk, we waited for about 20 mins to speak to her. When we did, she was extremely unhelpful and told me it had been very clear we would not have a balcony. (To my mind, when you ask for a balcony room and the answer is "yes we have a room available with a lake view" that does not mean there is no balcony room available, however I was made to feel like I was very much in the wrong. There was not so much as an apology for the confusion, she just reiterated over and over that she had never had any complaints before.

We returned to our room, very disillusioned but tried to persuade ourselves that it was only a room and we would be outside all day anyway. We then went down to lunch, it was about 3pm and so most guests had already eaten. My husband commented that at least we could enjoy the lake view during mealtimes.Just as he said this the waitress informed us this was not our table. It transpired that every room was assigned a table for the duration of their stay, and so even though this table in question had already been vacated, we were not permitted to sit there. Our table was pointed out to us, far removed from the window, in the middle of the room.

We went back to Paula and asked why we had been given the worst table in the restaurant, to which she replied that everyone else had arrived before us and her regular guests have priority.

Far from being made to feel special on our Christmas honeymoon trip, we were made to feel totally unimportant and I actually left the hotel in tears. I could not understand the table policy at all and did not like the prospect of the next 5 days being told where we were and were not allowed to sit.

I would like to point out I have never walked out of a hotel in my life and nor am I the type to complain about details. All I can say is that all our expectations were dashed and we were left searching for another hotel 2 days before Christmas.

Luckily, we found Peuma Hue (an estancia 30 mins away) where we were welcomed with a simple "congratulations" and a bottle of champagne in aid of our honeymoon. I have never been so grateful!

Although Paula kept saying she has never had any problems in 4 generations, perhaps it is time for a shake-up. They may have clients who have been going for 30 years, but if they treat all new clients as we were treated they will certainly not have a business for the next 30 years.

I would warn people that their website is very misleading, they show no pictures at all of the standard rooms in the main house (which are basic to say the least). Sadly, although this is a beautiful spot, our experience was so awful I would never recommend it and there are equally beautiful places to stay dotted around the national park.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank rebecca n

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Our family, 3 kids and us came here, starting our Patagonia trip. We chose this hotel based in other reviews. First the rooms are clean and with great views. Tons of activities, great hikes, fishing, great horseback riding. The food is very good and they will also cook your fish. We were here Christmas Eve and te place is fool of locals that come every year.

• Stayed December 2012
agoura hills,ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I visited hotel Tronador this November and can't even put into words the amazing place this is. It is secluded in the national park 1 1/2 hrs from town ...on lake Mascardi. We felt like we were the only ones here. The attention from the staff was amazing ! They went out of the way to make sure all our activities were planned and we felt at home. Our view from our balcony was breathtaking. The hotel is very clean and the meals were great! We had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the dining room overlooking the lake and mountains. The food was very well thought out and tasted very fresh... Couldn't believe it was all included in the room price. I can't imagine a place so beautiful being so affordable. We went horseback riding for 3 hours to the 3 lagoons and kayaking in lake Mascardi, white water rafting, also went hiking to the cascade. All the activities were so inexpensive. The only regret is that we were only able to spend 3 nights there. I have already planned to come back next year and spend at least one week. I loved the fact that their were other visitors in the hotel but we were taken care of as if we were the only ones. When we went out on horseback we didnt see one other person..it was amazing..the views and colors and lanscape is breathtaking! I really recommend doing the white water rafting down the manso river to the border of Chile...an amazing experience.
My friend and I have traveled many countries but we have to say that Bariloche, hotel Tronador has been on the top of my list. Their is so many activities to do or just sitting on the balcony relaxing and drinking tea. I can't express how grateful I am to Benito and the whole family for making our trip amazing!! See you all soon!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank pukshellz23
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I spent November, 2011 in Argentina and enjoyed four nights in this wonderful family built, owned and run hotel. Since I work pretty hard traveling this quiet gem and it's delicious food were quit a find. The hotel is built on beautiful Lake Tronador. You might want to hike or horse back ride to build enough appetite for the big home grown and prepared meals. I'm a Colorado native and I love mountains and wild places. This area has them in spades.

Room Tip: If you go before late December when the high season starts the hotel is even more quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Our two night stay here was a thank you present to my dear husband who came to Bariloche with me so I could study Spanish one-on-one for a month. We so much enjoyed our stay her. Three meals a day are included in the price since they are way out of town and they have a huge garden so most of the fruits and vegetables served are raised by the descendents of the family members that constructed the beautiful wood and stone buildings. We walked to a nearby waterfall our first day and took an adventurous horseback ride the second. It was a highlight at the end of our ride to walk quite a way into the milky, sky-blue water of the lake to look across at the hotel sitting on the opposite shore. Everything here is so photogenic. We loved this place and my thoughts have returned to it many times even though it has been more than a year and a half since our stay in January of 2011. Thank you, dear famiy that runs this hotel, for the beautiful times we spent here with you. Verona and Larry Jacobson

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake have a lovely view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cullom_nw
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Fantastic setting, lovely hotel. I have nothing much to add to the other reviews - except that if you are driving then you do need to check the road access to the hotel. The last 10km of (dirt) road to the hotel is one way only, and the traffic goes in one direction for various periods of the day. Basically - you can only drive to the hotel in the morning, and drive from the hotel in the afternoon (although I think that before 10.30am and after 7.30pm you can drive either way). The hotel has all the road times listed on its website.

The hotel is very comfortable, but it is very dated! I'm not suggesting this is a bad thing, everything is still very good condition, but it does feel like a bit of a time warp! It's got a 70's feel about it, and you won't find much modern stuff here - which does add to the appeal. But - soup, cheese souffle, and beef stroganoff for dinner! Its like I'm a kid again and my mom is cooking for a dinner party!!

Great service at the hotel, we had a fantastic horse ride and good day out fishing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank MurrayMantis
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

What a wonderful retreat! The Nahuel Hapi National park is breathtaking, and to have a hotel like this in the midst of it is such a treat! They have their own dairy and orchards, so food is excellent and very local, i.e., home-made ice cream and pasta. The owners take great pride and are all involved in running the hotel and activities. Nearby hikes are very scenic, fishing is plentiful (i caught 4 and the hotel cooked 2 for us). Activities may be a bit expensive, but the all-in food/ board package of $120/pp per night is a great value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple