“Amazing experience - An earthly paradise”
Review of Estancia Peuma Hue

Estancia Peuma Hue
GreenLeadersSilver level
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Amazing experience - An earthly paradise”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Peuma Hue is by far the most beautiful, amazing place I haver ever visited in Patagonia, and easily ranks among the top places I´ve stayed at around the world. It combines sophisticated hospitality and excellent accommodations with outdoor adventure activities, breathtaking scenery, and warm, personal service. Together with other guests, we would often joke that being in Peuma Hue felt like we had somehow lost our ways and accidentally arrived in paradise.

Every day you wake up in an environment that seems out of a fairy tale, surrounded by forests, creeks and lakes. And every day you´re given a choice of interesting things to do - hiking, horse-riding, swimming, kayaking, yoga lessons, etc. Of course, you can also opt to just relax and sit in the garden listening to the wind blowing in the poplar trees, or lie down at the shores of the lake and watch the birds -including ibises- flying by. The grounds and gardens that surround the facilities are amazing in themselves. The views from the cabins and the main house are absolutely breathtaking, the peace and tranquility are just wonderful.

Words don´t do Peuma Hue justice, it is so beautiful that it has a dreamlike quality to it. The nearby mountains change color at every hour as the sun runs its course, and even rainy days are beautiful when you see the peaks enshrouded in mists and clouds, with condors circling their peaks. There are many hikes to undertake, and both the paths and the destinations are just plain amazing. There are lookouts with sights that will literally leave you speechless.

The food was just outstanding; ingredients came from the local garden, which is fully organic and uses no preservatives or insecticides whatsoever - the raspberries offered every day for breakfast, for example, were hand picked from the organic garden by staff the day before. The chefs are pros. I mean excellent, internatlonal-quality chefs, the kind you would expect to find at the best restaurants around the world.

There are horse-riding expeditions every day. If you´re an experienced rider, there are all kinds of horses with different personalities. They have very mellow horses for beginners; but if you´re an experienced rider, you´ll also find horses to match your profile.

Since it was summertime, we were able to swim in the lake. Lake Gutierrez is like a pristine, vast swimming pool that surrounded us from every angle with views of mountains and valleys.Those sights are just impossible to forget, they will end up etched in your memory. The water is so transparent that you can see right to the bottom of the lake. It´s like swimming in crystal. You can also see the trout fish swimming by and jumping off.

The infrastructure is just excellent, the rooms are beautiful and have wonderful views. Owners Eve and Reuben give the place a personal touch and all the staff strike a perfect balance: they were constantly and invisibly paying attention to every and each of my wishes and cravings without my realizing it. Everytime they detected a preference or a liking, they would try their best to satisfy it, even if I had not explicitly mentioned it. It is an amazing level of service, close to perfect.

I saw more than one guest fall in love with the place; after a couple of days at Peuma Hue, they were scrambling to either postpone or cancel their reservations elsewhere, so as to be able to stay a few more days!

Peuma Hue is just awesome. Truly one of the most extraordinary places I have visited in the whole world, and one of the most amazing vacations I have ever experienced.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Main House, as well as the COIHUE cabin, are more luxurious. The RADALES cabin has brea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Journey1984
peumahue, Owner at Estancia Peuma Hue, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
What can I say with such a review!! THANK YOU!!! From deep in our souls, thank you for the love you put into describing us with so much detail and enthusiasm. Your stay was so very special to us in so many ways; starting as a complete stranger and turning to be part of our family. We all miss you much! Thank you once again, wishing to be able to see you soon again, with all our blessings and much love,
Evelyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
UK
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We so enjoyed our 5 days at Peuma Hue. Our room overlooked the lake and it was a pleasure to look at the amazing scenery from our big windows. The food and wine were delicious and the menus were really thoughtfully put together. We could do as much, or as little, as we liked, activities wise, and chose to kayak and hike, with a lot of just relaxing and reading. We were especially touched when the resident dogs, Ghandi and Alpha, decided to be our guides for a hike. It is a completely relaxed and friendly place to stay and Evelynn, Rueben, Jessie and the rest of the staff made it one of our best experiences in Patagonia. We shall return one day!

Room Tip: We stayed in Los Lenos which has a beautiful big bedroom with fireplace and overlooks the lake.
2 Thank TACUk
peumahue, Owner at Estancia Peuma Hue, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
I´m so happy you enjoyed it so much! It confirms the meaning for our existence and what we wish to offer to everyone visiting us. So THANK YOU SO MUCH for this lovely review. We hope we can see you again in the future, wishing you the very best, with much love
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 days and nights at Peuma Hue in February 2013. I cannot say enough about how great the total experience was-- the location and setting, the hospitality, the food, and the company were all exceptional!! Eve, Reuben, and the team at Peuma Hue go out of their way to create a memorable visit for every guest. From daily guided (or unguided if you prefer!) hikes, to horseback riding, to kayaking, or just relaxing with a book on the estancia grounds, there are endless ways to spend your day. And the food! The food is absolutely delicious--made from fresh and local ingredients and the chef can cater to special needs and requirements as well. Guests eat 'family style,' which we loved-- it allowed us to get to know the others who were visiting from the States, Europe, other parts of Argentina, etc.That said, folks who prefer a more intimate and private experience may also eat on their own. Again, Eve and the staff are flexible and provide a "personal touch" to help create the experience guests want to have. Our stay at Peuma Hue was one we will never forget. We can't wait to return for another visit soon!--Lisa, Chevy Chase, MD.

3 Thank Lisa K
peumahue, Owner at Estancia Peuma Hue, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you Lisa for such wonderful review and I can truly say I feel we have "new friends" in both of you. You added so much to the spirit of Peuma Hue with your enthusiasm, interest in conversations, enjoying so much each of all the activities you did, the food and all!! THANK YOU for your visit and for sharing so much with us. With much love,
Mansfield, GA
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I and another couple spent 5 nights at Peuma Hue in February 2012.
It couldn't have been more relaxing and friendly to the guests. Eve Hotter and her firend Reuben Rich took very good care of us including Reuben leading us on two long hikes and Eve arranging horseback riding, fishing in the very large lake, tango lessons, golf nearby and fantastic meals. I thought they were somewhat overstaffed, but that made our visit all the more enjoyable. They use a lot of young people who come in for various lengths of time to work and learn the business. These "interns" were all very congenial.
What I liked, which may not be for everyone, is that all meals are eaten family style whith several guests at a table, however the meals were plated and were exceptional. I guess if you wanted to be by yourself, they would arrange it that way, but I enjoyed meeting the other guests who were all very interesting. A stay of 3-5 days would be ideal. Less is not enough to get a feel for the place and more might be enough. One of my favorite expressions relative to running a business is "nothing beats the sound of the ownerrs frootsteps in the hall." Eve is everpresent and runs a tight, but relaxed ship. Sandy Morehouse, Atlanta, Georgia

Room Tip: various cabins on property. No preference
2 Thank Alexander M
peumahue, Owner at Estancia Peuma Hue, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you Sandy for your wonderful report!! And yes, we do ask everybody, when they arrive, if they would rather have their private table or join the rest of our guests in conversations and shared stories. We knew that you would wanted to share with your friends and with us, so we arranged it that way. So many times though, guests who start asking for their own tables, end up sharing the interesting conversations that develop, adding yet another level to their stay by making new friends. And this is how I feel with you! Thank you for your wonderful visit, for all the time we spent together, for all our conversations! Hope to see you soon again, much love
Toronto
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Peuma Hue is a magical respite from urban life, and from the exhaustion of other travel. It offers a rare combination of luxurious accommodations, delicious food and attentive personal service, in a place of great physical beauty, pure air and silence.
Some guests prefer to pass their days quietly, reading a book by the beach, under a tree, or next to a cozy fireplace; perhaps yoga, massage, or picking organic raspberries from the huge garden. Others choose days packed with adventure, such as Class 4 whitewater, high altitude trekking, or just scrambling up to the nearest waterfall. Kayakers and adventurous swimmers enjoy the crystal clear water. Birdwatchers thrill at the ibis in the orchard, the brilliant woodpeckers in the canopy. Riders, whether skilled or beginner, spend hours on the gentle, well trained horses, walking through majestic forests of ancient trees or cantering the open pampa. One lovely ride leads to a lookout over the Continental Divide; water to the left flows to the Atlantic; water to the right flows to the Pacific.
Every room is different, but they are all clean, full of light, furnished with thoughtfully chosen local artifacts, comfortable beds, and snowy linens. I loved waking up gently as the clouds poured over the crest of the mountains. Outside my window, horses, sheep and geese quietly grazed.
The longer people stay at Peuma Hue, in my experience, the more they like it. Guest after guest, some with remarkable amounts of travel experience, wished they had planned to stay longer. It’s also telling that young people from around the world volunteer for its beauty, and the warmth, kindness and wisdom of its proprietor, Evelyn Hoter. After a week there, I felt better than I had in years.
A friend said it best: Staying at Peuma Hue was a prize that he gave himself. And it was one of the best prizes he could have won.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DS1Toronto
Thank you for such a beautiful, thoughtful and detailed report!! What a joy to know that we can be considered one of the best prizes to oneself.... We do try to make a little difference in our guests´ lives by providing the best we can in every level. When this is achieved, it fulfils the deepest meaning for our existence. What a Joy for us to have guestas as you!! :-) Thank you, from deep in our hearts!!! With much love,
Hannover, Germany
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Peuma Hue for 5 nights over Christmas for our honeymoon. The setting is truly magical, wood cabins dotted around lovely green fields, with a creek running through it and bordering the Lake Guiterrez. Luis, Rueben, Evelyn and all the waiting staff were all very welcoming and we were treated to champagne, massages and lovely chocolates left on the bedside each day.

The horses roam free on the land and waking up to views of the mountains and lakes doesn't get much better. We did riding, rafting, took ourselves on a 5 hour hike, crossing waterfalls, seeing several lookout spots with fantastic panoramas, going through bamboo forests and looking at all the different birds. We did several rides with Chris, who really cares for all the horses. We ran out of time to do kayaking, but that was next on our list!

The Christmas eve violin concert in the stone chapel was really special and a big effort was made for the Christmas meal, which was local trout and various local desserts.

My only small complaint would be that we were there for 5 nights and the meals started to repeat while we were there, there could also be more of a selection of wine I thought.

Overall, a wonderfully relaxing as well as active stay in a stunning location in the national park.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rebecca n
peumahue, Owner at Estancia Peuma Hue, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you so much Rebecca for your review!! We are so happy you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed its beauty, services, activities and our staff so much. We really love to share this magical place at all times, but especially when it is a significantly important moment of your life, such as your honeymoon. It adds to the deep meaning we feel our mission has, providing the best we can to everyone visiting. I´m happy too that you enjoyed the cocktail and concert at our candle-lit Temple and the special dinner thereafter. We enjoy these moments very deeply and feel extremely happy if this is shared by everybody else.
I do very much apologize for having repeated meals! We are checking with our chefs what happened because we do take care not to have this happening and we change our menu every day! Thanking for pointing it out so we can check and make sure it does not happen again. As for wines, our house wines included in our meals, belong to one of the most prestigious Patagonian wineries and include different grape varieties. What we might not have been clear in our introductory talk though, is that we also have a large variety of other wines for sale that you could have chosen from. I´m sorry we were not clear about this! Most often our guests love our wines and do not ask for others, so sometimes we even forget offering them! I´m very sorry. Anyway, we are extremely happy that your overall experience was so nice. We loved meeting you and hope to see you back some day. Wishing you a wonderful 2013, with lots of Joy and many Blessings, with our warmest regards
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family and I stayed in a cabin the week of Thanksgiving. The facilities, the staff, and the activities were perfect for our young family. The estancia provides a lot of options for activities and the staff will coordinate any activities offsite for you, which is a huge plus for those of us that do not speak Spanish. The food was excellent and the servers were very accommodating to our three young kids. We highly recommend Peuma Hue to all of our friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
peumahue, Guest Relations Manager at Estancia Peuma Hue, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Hello and thank you for such a positive review and great photos! We really enjoyed having you and all your family here with us. I especially enjoy watching the girls discover the joy of riding and getting to know how the horses are. We hope you have the time to come visit us again. Cheers! Jessie