“Fantastic room, great breakfast tainted by unfriendly staff.”

Design Suites Bariloche
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed in a suite with a hot tub overlooking the lake. The view was obscured by trees but still was a stunning location with fantastic views of Jupiter. The staff were surely bar Edward who was extremely friendly, helpful and everything you would expect. The spa and hotel pool is not a reason to stay here but the hot tubs more than make up for it. Would recommend but expect only the porters/drivers and Edward to be friendly towards you. We would stay here again purely for the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up room to ensure a good view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We booked this place as a little treat in between regular hostels and B&Bs. And when we entered our room, we did feel spoilt. The view over Lake Nahuel Huapi was amazing and being able to enjoy that straight from the room's jacuzzi was definitely a highlight. Generally our room was very spacious and well decorated. There were a few water stains on the ceiling and curtain (around the jacuzzi), so we can somewhat understand how earlier reviews talk about the lack of upkeep of the hotel. Another downside is the long walk into town (about 3km), but the hotel offers a shuttle service twice a day. The staff we came across were very good. No complaints here.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite was worth the extra bit of money as the jacuzzi and balcony were worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Reception almost always FULL of people waiting. Be calm, don't complain. Breakfast as rich as the only 2 options of tea. If you like oat meal, seeds or other healthy things to put in your yougurt, forget it. Dirty wall, broken curtains in my room and other surprises. Old safe model. If you need a repair or an urgent service, be calm to wait and wait. Ask at least twice for the recepcion desk. If not enough ask 3 times. Very slow motion WiFi. Check if the swiming pool is clean before entrying. Beautiful scenario, missing service and maintenance. Who cares?

Stayed: January 2014
Thank Luiz Edmundo Pr... R
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We are a couple travelling on the motorcycle from Colombia to La patagonia. We had been staying at many places all over the South America, but even the cheapest hostel we have ever sleept at, was 10 times better than this (supposedly 4 start) hotel.

The only good thing about this it was the bath tub in the room.

First: rooms are overpriced.
The smell of the detergent they use to wash the sheets couldn't let us relax and rest on our bed after a long ride from Chile.

Staff is horrible (only the security guy Ivan was nice to us). Nobody seems to care about you. The room key they gave us didn't work, and for our whole stayed we didn't get a key that worked even after several attempts to get one. Room service is not great either, we had to wait more that an hour and a half to get a sandwich to our room.

After the New Year dinner (about US$250 for two) we got two new keys, but they didn't work either, we called to the front desk - the guy said we had to come back (it was really cold outside and we didn't have any jackets, but the guy didn't seemed to care much about it and did not want to send someone up with a new key) and the room is far up in the hill.

We had to come down to the reception where they told us he need to go and try the key again, and went to our building on hotel van (why couldn't he do that before and pick us up?!). Then we had to wait more because nobody had a key to open the door

Overall a very bad experience and a bad idea for NYE. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!

Ps. I wished we had paid more attention to other reviews, after reading some of them now we understand it was a bad idea. We saw a review where people were even robbed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mauricio O
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Rooms are good but massively overpriced.
Distance to town is a major issue with mediocre public transportation and non existent shuttle Service.
Staff is varied from really horrible (some will even lie to your face) to okay. Do not expect any kind of real hospitality.
Also it seems that people have been robbed in the hotel which makes you feel uncomfortable, even though you have a safe in the room.

There are many places in and around Bariloche that look so much nicer than this. So dont fall for the fake images on their Website and stay somewhere else if you can

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank anonyma669
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I chose this hotel by the photos, good price and overall reviews.
When I arrived at the hotel, I saw that my choice was great! And during the stay it was confirmed.

At first, the modern architecture of lobby is very beautiful and trendy. Extremely well done.
The rooms are big and comfortable. It has everything you will need: Bathtub with hydro massage, hot shower, safe, queen size bed, hairdryer, etc..
The staff is very friendly and helpful!
There was some small problems like conservation of some equipments of the gym, pool, etc. But it wasn't relevant.

My rating would be 4 balls at tripadvisor, but there were two things that made me give 5 balls.
The price of the room was very good for a 4 stars hotel in Bariloche. I paid less than 80 dolars for the night, and the second thing was the restaurant!

I had a dinner at my last night and I had a big surprise!!! The food was amazing! I didn't believe that small restaurant could do the food that I ate there!
I had dinner in many well rated and famous restaurants all over the world and that one surprised me! I can tell it was one of the TOP 5 that I have ever tried. I said it to the chef, called Carlos, but he didn't believe in what i said! This guy is good in cooking! I don't know if Michelin would give him a star, but I give a star to that food!

The location of the hotel is quite good, not too far from the city center. with a good view of the lake.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I made the mistake to choose this hotel on Picture and I am deeply regretting it.
It looks nice in picture but it really is a scam.
In the border of a lake, I asked for a balcony suite, quite expensive, yet I got the view (like 3 out of 4 of the building here) on the back of the next building: Awful!
Everything is like that; looks nice but doesn't work : no internet, no international plugs... Looks to me like a scam more than anything else. Guy at the counter knows it and they ask you to pay BEFORE getting to the room. By the way they give you a price without taxes! who the hell doesn't pay taxes! (I asked for a tax refund and they say cant do: ask at the aiport). Really a scal and they knows it.
At least the bed was good and the water was hot. Hence 2 stars. But avoid at all cost, there is PLENTY of BnB along the way to Llao Lliao, prefer that.

Room Tip: change hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo