“The WORST experience ever!!!”

Design Suites Bariloche
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We are a couple travelling on the motorcycle from Colombia to La patagonia. We had been staying at many places all over the South America, but even the cheapest hostel we have ever sleept at, was 10 times better than this (supposedly 4 start) hotel.

The only good thing about this it was the bath tub in the room.

First: rooms are overpriced.
The smell of the detergent they use to wash the sheets couldn't let us relax and rest on our bed after a long ride from Chile.

Staff is horrible (only the security guy Ivan was nice to us). Nobody seems to care about you. The room key they gave us didn't work, and for our whole stayed we didn't get a key that worked even after several attempts to get one. Room service is not great either, we had to wait more that an hour and a half to get a sandwich to our room.

After the New Year dinner (about US$250 for two) we got two new keys, but they didn't work either, we called to the front desk - the guy said we had to come back (it was really cold outside and we didn't have any jackets, but the guy didn't seemed to care much about it and did not want to send someone up with a new key) and the room is far up in the hill.

We had to come down to the reception where they told us he need to go and try the key again, and went to our building on hotel van (why couldn't he do that before and pick us up?!). Then we had to wait more because nobody had a key to open the door

Overall a very bad experience and a bad idea for NYE. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!

Ps. I wished we had paid more attention to other reviews, after reading some of them now we understand it was a bad idea. We saw a review where people were even robbed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mauricio O

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Rooms are good but massively overpriced.
Distance to town is a major issue with mediocre public transportation and non existent shuttle Service.
Staff is varied from really horrible (some will even lie to your face) to okay. Do not expect any kind of real hospitality.
Also it seems that people have been robbed in the hotel which makes you feel uncomfortable, even though you have a safe in the room.

There are many places in and around Bariloche that look so much nicer than this. So dont fall for the fake images on their Website and stay somewhere else if you can

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank anonyma669
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I chose this hotel by the photos, good price and overall reviews.
When I arrived at the hotel, I saw that my choice was great! And during the stay it was confirmed.

At first, the modern architecture of lobby is very beautiful and trendy. Extremely well done.
The rooms are big and comfortable. It has everything you will need: Bathtub with hydro massage, hot shower, safe, queen size bed, hairdryer, etc..
The staff is very friendly and helpful!
There was some small problems like conservation of some equipments of the gym, pool, etc. But it wasn't relevant.

My rating would be 4 balls at tripadvisor, but there were two things that made me give 5 balls.
The price of the room was very good for a 4 stars hotel in Bariloche. I paid less than 80 dolars for the night, and the second thing was the restaurant!

I had a dinner at my last night and I had a big surprise!!! The food was amazing! I didn't believe that small restaurant could do the food that I ate there!
I had dinner in many well rated and famous restaurants all over the world and that one surprised me! I can tell it was one of the TOP 5 that I have ever tried. I said it to the chef, called Carlos, but he didn't believe in what i said! This guy is good in cooking! I don't know if Michelin would give him a star, but I give a star to that food!

The location of the hotel is quite good, not too far from the city center. with a good view of the lake.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I made the mistake to choose this hotel on Picture and I am deeply regretting it.
It looks nice in picture but it really is a scam.
In the border of a lake, I asked for a balcony suite, quite expensive, yet I got the view (like 3 out of 4 of the building here) on the back of the next building: Awful!
Everything is like that; looks nice but doesn't work : no internet, no international plugs... Looks to me like a scam more than anything else. Guy at the counter knows it and they ask you to pay BEFORE getting to the room. By the way they give you a price without taxes! who the hell doesn't pay taxes! (I asked for a tax refund and they say cant do: ask at the aiport). Really a scal and they knows it.
At least the bed was good and the water was hot. Hence 2 stars. But avoid at all cost, there is PLENTY of BnB along the way to Llao Lliao, prefer that.

Room Tip: change hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed our honey moon for 7 days in july 2012, and we loved this hotel. The only thing bad was to 'climb' to get the room but they always have cars to help. And sometimes we had fun to reach the room..haha so its better take in down levels floor. The food is good, the rooms are very nice. The heater didnt work well but at the same day they gave another one. So, in overall we enjoyed so much. Another thing not really good is because its a little far from downtown of bariloche and we always had to get buses. But they have cars going downtown periodically. But it was not a problem at all. We recomend!

Room Tip: If you dont want to get tired to walk up, take a room in down levels floor
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2013

On our second day at this hotel we returned to our room after having dinner in the restaurant of the hotel and found that nearly all our belongings were taken.

Someone broke into the room and took all our belongings (Laptop, Cameras, Jewelry, and even the luggage bag with our clothes). I went to the reception to complain and was told to return to the hotel room, as the security guards would go there. Two security guards came and made questions about what happened and carried out an intensive search, just to found our broken luggage in the forest without any of the valuable items (at least we recovered our passports).

We went straight down to reception to be told it was "not their fault", that unfortunately they don't have security cameras in that side of the hotel and that they couldn't be held accountable as the robbers didn't come from inside the hotel. They gave us the wrong directions to the police station and lied about what time a manager would be available in the morning, since our departure we have been trying to contact them to get a refund and a response from their insurance without success.

I have traveled extensively and know that bad things can happen sometimes but how the management of the hotel responds is what makes the difference. In this case the response was terrible, they were: rude, assumed it was not their fault, demonstrated zero responsiveness and have been avoiding all my complains since then.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL IS YOU WANT A SAFE TRIP TO BARILOCHE

Room Tip: Ask for one with EXTRA SECURITY (JAIL-LIKE STYLE): bars in the windows, MULTI-LOCK door, security ca...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank evilacha29
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel was very nice. The rooms are spacious, and the jacuzzi in the room is a nice perk. However, make sure to request a room on the top floor, as our room was on the first floor, and we really only had a view of the reception desk. The gym was very nice, including the machines and weights. The staff was also nice and helpful, the restaurant that was suggested to us was the best meal we had in Argentina (Kandahar).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple