2,456 results
All reviewsmoreno winggolf coursenew wingllao llaowinter gardenlobby barhistoric hotelhunting lodgeoriginal buildingevery directionkids clubmain restaurantdining roomsbreathtaking viewssnow capped mountainsbreakfast buffetthe hotel offers
Reviewed June 10, 2008

We spent 3 days of our 2 week honeymoon in the Llao Llao in Bariloche. Due to a volcano that erupted in Chile, all flights in and out of Bariloche were cancelled and we were forced to take a 19 hour bus from Buenos Aires into Bariloche or we would forfeit our pre-paid reservation.

The hotel is absolutely massive, yet beautiful – a combination of a Swiss chalet meets hunting lodge. We stayed in room 6312 which is in the newly built extension of the hotel overlooking the lake – from the room and the bathroom! The room itself was quite small – it had a small foyer equipped with overpriced mini-bar, the bedroom/seating area and a nice bathroom with Jacuzzi tub, shower and toilet. We were somewhat impressed with the flat panel TV and fingerprint enabled safe. The linens could have been a higher thread count – the robes and sheets were not as soft as the ones back home. The bed smelled of lavender – and once we discovered where the offending pillow that caused it – it mysteriously fell off the bed each night ;-)

Our room rate included a breakfast buffet – which was absolutely amazing! It had hot food (eggs, sausages, quiche, waffles, etc), fruits, meats, cheeses, pastries, breads, etc – you name it – it was there. While everything was buffet style, the staff was extremely attentive and magically appeared to help you cut/toast your bread, or pour your juice.

Also included in the room rate were a range of activities such as painting, tango, archery, eco-walks, Pilates, yoga, etc. The days we were there, many activities were cancelled due to weather/lack of patrons, so we did not get to experience them. There was also a game room which took US quarters, and a big heated indoor/outdoor pool with a hot tub which was fabulous. If the weather was nicer, there would have been some outdoor options as well such as golf, boating, skiing, etc.

We spent a lot of our time in the business center – surfing the internet, or lounging around the Lobby Bar, Winter garden and Morena Bar. Mainly because, these were the only areas open, the few stores kept weird timings and the weather was rainy. My wife tried the “Llao Llao Experience” at the Spa and truly loved it. Basically, it was a 4 hand chocolate massage, followed by a hydro massage, and ended with a lavender oil 4-hand massage and facial.

All in all – we truly enjoyed the experience because it was a once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon splurge. If we did Bariloche again, we would probably stay in a cheaper hotel by the lake and hit the Llao Llao for dinner, drinks or the spa only. We were somewhat disappointed that the rate remained the same even though many of the activities and dining areas were not available to us due to the weather.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank therovingeye
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Llao Llao is the most famous hotel in San Carlos de Bariloche.
People used to say that Llao Llao is the best one in Bariloche.
I don´t agree. There are many hotels as good as Llao Llao. Fame sometimes is not everything.
The service is good, the attendents are very kind, but the cleanliness of the room and bathroom is not very good...
Indeed this a beautiful hotel, but nothing very special.
Oh, sorry, there is something very special at the hotel: the overview. It´s wonderful! This is unique!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LilyofBrazil
Reviewed May 3, 2008

This hotel has a classic, old-world feel to it that is really captivating. I felt like I was visiting Yosemite pre WWII, if that makes any sense at all. We were there with mykids and my parents, and we had a wonderful time. The kids had fun speaking spanish in the kids program, and it was an amazingly cosmopolitan crowd of kids: some from columbia, some from spain, etc. The hotel itself is in probably the most spectacular site I've ever been to. It's truly breathtaking. The rooms are variable, but it's old and people haven't always demand gigantic marble bathrooms.

The only negative is that the weather is not at all predictable even in January, their summer. It seems to me that there's a pattern of a few days of 80 degree weather, and then it's 50 and raining for a few days. We caught the latter part of that cycle. It would have been sublime to sit at the pool, or hike up into the spectacular mountains, but weather didn't cooperate. Still, I wouldn't have missed it for anything! Just bring warm clothes and something for wind.

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank sc0ut11
Reviewed April 27, 2008

I was in a beautiful corner suite with views everywhere - the lake, the mountains, the glacier. I was traveling with a large group for a conference; I will say that some people complained they had very poor rooms. I would caution anyone going that I think you will get what you pay for regarding rooms. I never left the property - the pool was great (heated); the restaurants were good.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank dm125
Reviewed March 15, 2008

Went there on our honeymoon. Were thoroughly looked after and loved the whole setting and amenities. You must stay here!

Stayed: September 2007