“Avoid, if you can”

Patanuk Lake Hostel
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The only good thing about the hostel is its location, because it is situated on the lake and the view is really great, but of course not from the room.
Rooms are very very simple (we had a quad), which wouldn't be a problem, but bathrooms are a disaster and pretty much disgusting. The towels look like they were used from few different people before you and not washed after that, The place is quite noisy, because there is a bar downstars.
They have a nice view to the lake, but the garden looks poor, they could at least put there some decent chairs. Unfortunately everything in this hostel looks like they just doesn't care. They have a quite good location and that's it.
Breakfast is for a hostel ok.
For the price that we paid we could get much better accommodation, but unfortunately we put to much importance on the reviews.
We certainly don't recommend this place, maybe it is acceptable for very young people, who in the first place looks for the party place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is one of the coolest. it has like a private beach on the lake. and it is also the view from your room. this hostel also has a bar downstairs and it throws cool parties. dont miss the party on wendensday! Many of the visitors are argentinian and many people from bariloche come to hang out there. the rooms are clean and nice. the service is ok i guess.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Having just moved from another hostel (Penthouse 1004), it was hard for Patanuk to compete.
The lakefront location is almost the only good thing about this hostel. The breakfast was the other good thing.
The 6 bed dorm we were in was tiny and only had 2 lockers for belongings - there were 4 other lockers out in the corridor past the bathrooms. Two of the bunk beds didn't have ladders, which for the vertically challenged like myself and my friend, was a bit difficult getting in and out of the top bunks (the bottom bunks were already taken).
The beds weren't made so I made my initial one, only to be told half an hour later that someone else already had that bed. I wasn't too sure this was the truth as the bed was indeed empty when I arrived with no belongings on or near it. However, the bed I was then moved to was made up for me (I assume due to the inconvenience of me having made the previous one).
The view from the dorm was lovely, although no blinds or curtains at the windows so it was hard to sleep in once daylight hit.
The shower room is just a shower. Just the one. One shower. One toilet. Lucky the men had a separate shower room, otherwise it would have taken us all day just to get washed. The shower had a severe drainage problem in that the shower tray filled up and spilled over and by the end of the shower session, the water was running out in to the main area and toilet. My friend said she pulled out all the hair from the plug (something that the cleaners should be doing surely?) and it was much better when she was in it, but the next day it was the same, so it obviously a main drainage problem.
Various dogs seemed to live at/in the hostel. I almost fell over one who was lounging at the bottom step.
The hostel is also just a bit further out of the main area of town than I liked.
I'm not sure if this is an Argentinian thing, but we were ignored by the reception staff on our last morning. Being British, I don't like to interrupt when people are having a conversation, so I hovered for a short while for reception to notice I was waiting for assistance, but it never came. Half an hour later my friend tried the same thing but in the end we gave up. Only when we left with our backpacks on were we given the time of day. We obviously need to be rude and loud and interrupt people. Bit of a sour end to our stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kers_soush
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Wonderful view on the lake, very friendly staff and home-made delicious beers in the bar! I stayed there about 2 weeks and at the end I felt home. Both the dorms and the private bathroom rooms are very nice (but if you want the see view choose the dorms) and clean.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Have stayed in hundreds of hostels around the world, but this one is definitely in top 3. Fantastic location just meters from the lake, beautiful surroundings, caring and helpful staff, best hideaway local bar under the hotel (with fantastic bear and happy hour).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MrManOnTheMoon
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Bad (shabby) common areas with wet dogs everywhere! Also, I know this is a small detail but the beds weren´t made nor did they come with fitted sheets. Nor is there sufficient space for everyone to have a locker to keep things safe in the dorms. Finally, there is a bar below the hostel which could be nice but is also incredibly loud at night. Ironically there are signs downstairs asking everyone to be quite after midnight when there is a bar below blaring music.

The kid working the night shift also had several rude friends over who kept running around and occupying the common space and then was asking everyone to go on Trip Advisor and give them a good review! Please don´t go to this hostel! Lots of other good options closer to the center and the same price!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Annie B
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I had a wonderful stay in this hostel and was treated very well by the staff. It's right on the lake, so views from the dorm room were beautiful. The bunk beds had storage available underneath and lockers were available in the hall. Kitchen was large (though did get busy and a few more pots would be helpful ). Staff was super helpful giving tips on sights in the area and even calling around to stores for me about tent rental. English was spoken. Great atmosphere with a fire in the fireplace on a rainy day and owners mellow dogs on site. Living room with couches and dining area were good for meeting fellow travelers. Abundant homemade bread for breakfast. Wifi available. Great value. I'd love to go back again someday!

• Stayed: December 2012