See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great hostel, not expensive and an awesome view on the lake !! The team is really nice and helpful, they gave us a lot of information ! The rooms and communal areas are clean and good breakfast included. I stayed a week and highly recommend this hostel !

Super hostel, barato y una vista genial sobre el lago. El personal es muy amable y nos dio muchas informaciones utiles. Todo es limpio y hay un buen desayuno incluido. Me quedé una semana y lo recomiendo !!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Rude staff, patronising and condescending signs everywhere, terrible breakfast where things were never refilled, no housekeeping done during the stay, filthy kitchen and communal areas - dogs lying everywhere. I would highly recommend avoiding this hostel. I have the 2010 lonely planet where it was recommended - I doubt it would be recommended in the new one! Very unhelpful staff who are completely uninterested in anything but hanging out with their friends. So very glad to leave patanuk!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Emmainamerica
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Worst hostel I have ever stayed in. Staff very unhelpful, did not show us around upon arrival, gave us incorrect password to Internet, surfed Facebook and chatted with their friends who completely took over all common areas of hostel. Threatening signs everywhere: if you block the toilet you will be charged; YOU wash your own dishes; if kitchen is not clean breakfast will not be served; if you break the door YOU will be charged. When my friend was abused for pushing and pulling the door (as per instruction on sign) and threatened she would be charged, I said I didn't think it was our issue if the door was THAT close to being broken. The manager -kiki- then came up to my room and banged on the door (at 11pm) when I did not answer she came back and banged again, to drag my friend and i downstairs (in our pyjamas) and abuse us- loudly for about 15 minutes - for being rude. Additionally, there were dogs that were always under your feet and begging for food. The toaster did not work, there was never any coffee (I had to ask every morning, even when I was there at the beginning of breakfast) and there was dog hair in the bread. There were no matches to light the stove - when i asked, i got a simple 'no'. The room was advertised as having lake views and wifi: it did not have either. They gave us no help or information with regards to things to do in bariloche. It seems the hostel is used by the staff as a place to hang out with their friends: and when you interrupt that, they are incredibly rude. I have never been treated so rudely at a hostel (or anywhere really) in my whole life. And for a private room, over four nights, I would have expected some form of housekeeping. There was none. When settling our bill the staff member answered personal phone calls ('its my birthday, i have to answer it'), chatted to her friends and was VERY confused about our simple transaction (we gave her $900, needed $30 change). The whole transaction took about 20 minutes, with her leaving several times and stopping the transaction to have chats with her friends in spanish whilst we just stood by . We would have moved on day one but we had no idea it would JUST KEEP GETTING WORSE! Clearly, since this hostel was recommended by lonely planet in 2010, they have all become arrogant, lazy, rude and unwelcoming. AVOID!!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Anna B
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Fabulous hostel! I stayed there for about 3 weeks with interruptions for the amazing trekking opportunities around Bariloche. The hostel is located directly at the beautiful lake of Bariloche. After enjoying your breakfast with freshly baked bread and stunning views over lake and mountains, you can chill out at the shore at daytime - read, sleep, get some sun - and listen to the sound of the small waves of the lake. For night time the Patanuk also has a bar directly at the lake. A couple of times a week they have great affordable BBQs and parties with a lot of locals coming in as well. That gives you a good opportunity to mix up with other people than "just" travelers. Admittingly the bar can be a bit noisy at night, when you booked a bed in one of the big dorms at the waterfront - if you are sensitive to that ask for one of the rooms on the other side of a hostel. Once we (my mate and I) had to get up early next morning, they even upgraded us up to a quite double room for free. Anyway - parties are only 2 or max. 3 times a week and I really liked the Indie-Rock'n Roll music mix... :-)
However the best of the hostel is the staff - I guess with Kiki they have the nicest and most helpful hostel staff of all South America (or at least the nicest one I meet while traveling for 10 month). I even ended up with the owner of the hostel and kiki at the lollapalooza in Chile two month after our stay in the Patanuk. Therefore sorry guys: I don't know whether we are talking about the same staff or hostel, if you say the staff is not helpful and friendly, but I experienced it totally different! I guess a good relationship depends always on two persons...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Traveling for a long time, I arrived in this hostel because some people I made "on the road" advised me the place!
Good advise!
Finally I spent more than one month in this Hostel : wonderful view (the best one in all Bariloche), awesome sunrises and sunsets, good breakfast with home-made bread, very kind and helpfully staff. The bar is aswell a nice place with good music and even in live with good bends.

• Stayed: July 2012