See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Fabulous hostel! I stayed there for about 3 weeks with interruptions for the amazing trekking opportunities around Bariloche. The hostel is located directly at the beautiful lake of Bariloche. After enjoying your breakfast with freshly baked bread and stunning views over lake and mountains, you can chill out at the shore at daytime - read, sleep, get some sun - and listen to the sound of the small waves of the lake. For night time the Patanuk also has a bar directly at the lake. A couple of times a week they have great affordable BBQs and parties with a lot of locals coming in as well. That gives you a good opportunity to mix up with other people than "just" travelers. Admittingly the bar can be a bit noisy at night, when you booked a bed in one of the big dorms at the waterfront - if you are sensitive to that ask for one of the rooms on the other side of a hostel. Once we (my mate and I) had to get up early next morning, they even upgraded us up to a quite double room for free. Anyway - parties are only 2 or max. 3 times a week and I really liked the Indie-Rock'n Roll music mix... :-)
However the best of the hostel is the staff - I guess with Kiki they have the nicest and most helpful hostel staff of all South America (or at least the nicest one I meet while traveling for 10 month). I even ended up with the owner of the hostel and kiki at the lollapalooza in Chile two month after our stay in the Patanuk. Therefore sorry guys: I don't know whether we are talking about the same staff or hostel, if you say the staff is not helpful and friendly, but I experienced it totally different! I guess a good relationship depends always on two persons...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Traveling for a long time, I arrived in this hostel because some people I made "on the road" advised me the place!
Good advise!
Finally I spent more than one month in this Hostel : wonderful view (the best one in all Bariloche), awesome sunrises and sunsets, good breakfast with home-made bread, very kind and helpfully staff. The bar is aswell a nice place with good music and even in live with good bends.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Despite the excellent view and the nice location of Patanuk, I would strongly recommend not staying there. Patanuk has an extremely noisy bar, open for all visitors. Well… apart from the guests. When I wanted to ask them at 1.30 to turn down the music, I found out I was not able to access the bar from neither inside nor from the outside because the receptionist, who was also attending the bar, locked us in! Complaints to the receptionist that night (at 2 o'clock when he opened the front door...) and to the owner the other day only resulted in very unsympathetic and rude behaviour. The owner told us she did not even want to discuss it. By the way: I staid in the apartment on the top floor: dorms and double rooms are even closer to this bar and thus noisier.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Yvette S
Patanuk, Propietario at Patanuk Lake Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your opinion.

Honestly, to receive criticisms like this one, coming from one person that stayed only one night, and for who we did everything we could and even more for this passenger to experience a perfect stay, doesn´t affect us that much, but we want to explain what actually happened because it will, for sure, affect future passengers.

When her computer didn´t work properly, we spent a lot of time helping her to fix the problem, as we couldn´t, we called our technician who inmediately came and made it work (technician that we payed and didn´t charge to her).

Regarding the noise on the bar, at the check in momment we explained to her that during the night we were having our weekly party with live music and specifickly asked her to please come down and talk to the reccepcionist if she would´ve experienced any kind of disturb.
When the reccepcionist received the complain (the only one, no other passenger complained) immediately went down to the bar and they put the volume down inmediately.

That´s the reason why the next day she came and talked to me (the owner) in some very bad manners I said I didn´t wanted to argue and told her that if she wanted to leave, logically we would understand. Is the policy of our hostel NOT to discuss with the passengers, obviously, we cannot make everybody happy, although, we try.

Thank you very much for your attention
Silvia Bustillo (Owner)

Reviewed July 10, 2012

When we initially turned up we were given a rather curt welcome by Kiki, but she soon found us to apologize and ended up spending a couple of hours telling us where to go and what to see before inviting us out on the town with her friends. We were initially going to check out after one night but as a result stayed longer and I'm glad we did as I got to experience the lakeside bar, which offered amazing views over the old town and the mountains.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jrgiggulden
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Lovely view does not make up for the huge numbers of staff that take over communal areas & kitchen. Could barely cook dinner & if you leave food in fridge leave a very clear typed label as they throw everything out! Not at all comfortable,rooms good but kitchen under equipped and dirty

• Stayed: June 2012