See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Despite the excellent view and the nice location of Patanuk, I would strongly recommend not staying there. Patanuk has an extremely noisy bar, open for all visitors. Well… apart from the guests. When I wanted to ask them at 1.30 to turn down the music, I found out I was not able to access the bar from neither inside nor from the outside because the receptionist, who was also attending the bar, locked us in! Complaints to the receptionist that night (at 2 o'clock when he opened the front door...) and to the owner the other day only resulted in very unsympathetic and rude behaviour. The owner told us she did not even want to discuss it. By the way: I staid in the apartment on the top floor: dorms and double rooms are even closer to this bar and thus noisier.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Yvette S
Patanuk, Propietario at Patanuk Lake Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your opinion.

Honestly, to receive criticisms like this one, coming from one person that stayed only one night, and for who we did everything we could and even more for this passenger to experience a perfect stay, doesn´t affect us that much, but we want to explain what actually happened because it will, for sure, affect future passengers.

When her computer didn´t work properly, we spent a lot of time helping her to fix the problem, as we couldn´t, we called our technician who inmediately came and made it work (technician that we payed and didn´t charge to her).

Regarding the noise on the bar, at the check in momment we explained to her that during the night we were having our weekly party with live music and specifickly asked her to please come down and talk to the reccepcionist if she would´ve experienced any kind of disturb.
When the reccepcionist received the complain (the only one, no other passenger complained) immediately went down to the bar and they put the volume down inmediately.

That´s the reason why the next day she came and talked to me (the owner) in some very bad manners I said I didn´t wanted to argue and told her that if she wanted to leave, logically we would understand. Is the policy of our hostel NOT to discuss with the passengers, obviously, we cannot make everybody happy, although, we try.

Thank you very much for your attention
Silvia Bustillo (Owner)

Reviewed July 10, 2012

When we initially turned up we were given a rather curt welcome by Kiki, but she soon found us to apologize and ended up spending a couple of hours telling us where to go and what to see before inviting us out on the town with her friends. We were initially going to check out after one night but as a result stayed longer and I'm glad we did as I got to experience the lakeside bar, which offered amazing views over the old town and the mountains.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jrgiggulden
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Lovely view does not make up for the huge numbers of staff that take over communal areas & kitchen. Could barely cook dinner & if you leave food in fridge leave a very clear typed label as they throw everything out! Not at all comfortable,rooms good but kitchen under equipped and dirty

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Geriberri
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed staying in Patanuk, because of the great value room (double ensuite), good vibe, nice communal area and stunning views over the lake. The only complaint we had was that it was a bit noisy in the room. Overall, we really recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnneMartijn
Reviewed February 11, 2012

The staff was exceptionally helpful and knowledgable. They helped us to organize everything from trips to rental cars and bus tickets. Patanuk is located a little bit away from the main square and main shopping street, which you can reach within 5-10 minutes by foot. Instead it has a wonderful location directly at the lake with a wonderful view from many rooms!

• Stayed: February 2012