All reviews amazing views homemade bread common areas living room filter coffee top floor fantastic kitchen well equipped kitchen shared bathroom bariloche centre every morning comfortable beds hot water stayed nights hostel wifi lake
Reviewed October 13, 2014

The Good: the staff here (particularly the blonde who I can't remember her name) was absolutely remarkable. I felt so comfortable and at home staying there. Although the hostel itself is actually top notch (super clean, perfect location, good vibe and spectacular view), the thing that makes this place so special is the staff. They're genuinely good people: the type of people you would want to be friends with in real life.

My friend and I arrived in the middle of the night after a grueling 30+ hour bus ride journey (which involved being stranded in the middle of nowhere for 15 hours because our bus broke down, etc.). The night staff apologetically informed us that the earliest he could check us in would be 8AM, I teared up and must have looked like a piece of my soul died because he immediately let us in, put our bags away, got us some tea, gave us towels to take showers and let us sleep on the couches in the common area. That is what I call outstanding customer service. At the time, it meant the world to my friend and I.

The breakfast was so-so (by American standards) but well-above average for South American standards. Eggs would make it A+++. A big plus was the kitchen. It was easy to store food in the fridge and there was lots of space/stove tops to cook.

The Not-So-Good: you have to book in advance because they fill up. We saw a lot of disappointed looking travelers get turned away because they thought they would get lucky and show up without a reservation. Don't be that guy.

The other potential draw back to staying here (in the beginning of your trip) is that you will be disappointed in all the other hostels you stay in for the rest of your stay. Besides one hostel in Medellin, Colombia, there are no hostels I came across in my 5+ months of traveling in S. America that compare to this place.

It's a really special place and if I ever come back I will stay here without doubt.

Room Tip: Book early or you will not stay here. If they're booked up, email them and ask them to inform you if they have any cancellations.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

The hostel is very well located and has a great view. Also the owners are very helpful and friendly. Perfect place for relaxing after spending your day snowboarding. Just one point to improve is the heating system in some rooms, the overall stay was amazing.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Spent two nights in this really good hostel - clean, friendly, quiet but a good atmosphere. The views are stunning from this top floor apartment converted into a real experience of a hostel. I particularly liked the communal areas with a big well equipped kitchen, a large dining area and a separate chill out area overlooking the lake.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed here on a couple of occasions (1 being new years eve) and had a lovely time. Good location and not far from the good treks that lay around Bariloche. I stayed here in November and December. And for me November was best weatherwise. Staff are great, friendly and helpful. Also make great bread for the breakfast :D Lovely place.
Thanks Annie, Ceci and Juan! hope to see you again someday.

Room Tip: 10th floor.. all rooms have windows... recommend the Bathroom at the back of the hostel. It has a great big window to look out of while showering.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Penthouse1004, Gerente at Penthouse 1004, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Thank you!
It was very nice to have you here in our home and celebrate New Year together! Thank you for the lovely photos!
Really hope you have the chance to visit soon again.
Love from all the staff

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom at Penthouse 1004 for 8 nights, having been recommended to the hostel by friends and fellow travellers.
The hostel is well located on the 10th floor of the tallest building in Bariloche, with amazing views of the lake and mountains.
Our room was clean and good sized, with a comfy bed, thick curtains and OK central heating, but could have been warmer. It gets pretty cold that high up right by the lake in Bariloche. There were also no accessible power sockets in the room, so we had to use the common room to charge phones, camera batteries and laptop every morning/evening.
The shared bathrooms were OK, and clean most of the time. The showers were good, with hot water at decent pressure, but often had problems with flow or air in the pipes, causing the water to slow down and stop at regular intervals.
The WiFi was slow and sometimes patchy, and didn't work in bedroom.
The hostel staff were always really helpful, giving us tips and information on things to do in and around the area.
The common areas of the hostel were great, with a huge and well equipped kitchen, and a massive dining/living room with plenty of tables and chairs, always warm, with an interesting and eclectic mix of music piped through the hostel all day long. Although it was freezing cold during our stay, watching the sunrise and/or sunset from the huge balcony was amazing.
The included breakfast was pretty good, with amazing fresh bread baked in house every morning, dulce de leche and raspberry jam, OK muesli, and tea and coffee available all day.
We had a great time staying here, highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank doddos
Penthouse1004, Gerente at Penthouse 1004, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Thank you for taking your time to write this note full of useful information!
It helps us a lot to hear how everyone felt during their stay with us.
We already put a power socket in the room, thanks for the tips.

We are very glad you had a nice time with us! And even stayed so many nights, despite the cold weather in Bariloche at that moment.
Have a nice travel and we wish to see you again someday!
Love!