“Terrible place (en serio); watch out for the bait-and-switch, too.”
Review of Hostal El Cardon

Hostal El Cardon
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tafi del Valle
Hostal El Cardon
Estados Unidos
“Terrible place (en serio); watch out for the bait-and-switch, too.”
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I had a very bad experience with this place. Firstly, I had made a reservation by internet; but when I got there they showed me a more expensive (by 50%) room. When I explained that I had booked a cheaper room, they showed me the cheaper room and it was disgusting (so I was therefore "talked into" the more expensive room). Then I left to go for a hike. When I returned, the front door was locked and there was a sign on it that said, "Regresar en 5 minutos". Well, I was feeling the sun and the previously long bus trip and the hike I had just made; I was tired and had a headache, and I needed to go to the bathroom. Therefore, I was a little put-off that access to my room was denied. Further, I have a stopwatch on my wrist, so I started it in order to see how long "5 Minutes" would be. After 55 minutes, I left in order (i) to find a place to go to the bathroom, and (ii) to find another hotel. When i returned to El Cardon, somebody had finally arrived and I explained my anger at being locked out, and further explained that I was moving to another hotel. They called the owner, who -- when she arrived -- told me that I couldn't leave unless I paid for one night (NOTE: I had not slept there yet, I had simply stored my bag there). I refused to pay in that I had NOT slept there (I had not even disturbed the covers on my bed), and I was still upset that I had been booked into a more expensive room, and they had "locked me out" (in the middle of the afternoon), much to my considerable discomfort. Then -- adding insult to injury -- the owner threatened to "call the police" unless I paid. Well, I called her bluff and said, "Okay, call the police; I'll wait and explain myself to them." [She finally chose NOT to call the police, and I left without paying....but I was (and still am) VERY angry that she had even threatened to call the police.] So, again I say, my experience at this hotel/hostal was very bad, and I recommend that the place be avoided.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo