“Puna mountains”

Private 3-Day High Desert Safari Tour from Salta
Ranked #1 of 5 Food & Drink in Salta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Andes Challenge is a tourism company which specializes in individual tailor made tours and adventure activities. Along with our clients, we develop the best proposals according to their expectations and interests. When planning a trip, it´s important for us to make you feel part of Salta. Our goal is for you to feel as a protagonist of the environment through direct contact with nature, local people and the different traditions.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I worked with the Andes Challenge team this April and May for a month-long expedition on the mountainous Puna region. The guides were professional, helpful and extremely responsible. The trip was very well-planned and well-equipped.It turned out to be effective and unfortunate. We were able to climb up almost to the peak of the Laguna Blanca mountain. The weather conditions varied all the time and Facundo did a great job on estimating the feasibility - that's all due to his many-year experience on high mountain expedition and well-prepared knowledge. They are obvious very familiar with local attractions and get along very well with local residents. We were welcomed warmly by the locals and that indeed made my trip. Here is my suggestion - if you want a well-rewarded trip in northwestern Argentina, you will definitely choose a team like the Andes Challenge, which is run by professional tour guides who are full of knowledge of mountains and have a great sense of humour.

2  Thank RJ_Toronto1

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Doubtlessly, Santi and Facu are two great guides. Not only knowledgeable and experienced drivers, but also dynamic and responsible. Both of them are remarkably willing to help, and lots of fun. They have excellent equipment and their all-terrain vehicles took us everywhere we wanted to go. We had a wonderful time hiking and venturing off road, and my family and I will never forget the great time we had in Salta. Thank you!!! Highly recommended!!! A must to really get to know the Andes!!!!

1  Thank Dave A
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I worked with Andes Challenge this May to conduct some geological research and also do some travelling. Facundo and Santiago are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the area and excellently handle the logistics of hiking and camping in remote places. They were very fun to work with and worked constructively with me to come up with an efficient field plan. Santi and Facundo are also legendary for their camp cooking skills! I ate very well out there, despite being in a remote valley for a month! I would definitely work with them again, and also would love the opportunity to take part in their recreational activities!

1  Thank JamesGeology
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had contacted Facundo of Andes Challenge about a hike in the Salta area. But after a series of email exchanges, Facundo organized an extraordinary trip through the spectacular, rocky landscape of Salta and Jujuy that culminated in our hike.

In the first part of the trip we drove through the countryside while visiting colonial towns and villages such as Cafayate, Cachi, and Molinos. The towns themselves were fascinating but the drive between them was thrilling. You have to imagine a territory of brilliant rock formations of every imaginable color. It is as if, someone had painted the mountains shades or red or green you had not seen before.

But what made the trip unforgettable was Facundo’s determination to drive up the Pass of Acai at the altitude of 15,000 ft. Few guides would really attempt this. The winding road up to the pass was for my two sons and me one of the most rewarding car rides ever. Passing by flocks of llamas and wild vicuñas, we gradually made our way to the snow-covered pass. And the undaunted Facundo decided that, despite the show and ice on the ground, we would cross it. On the other side we reached the salt plains of Salinas Grandes and the town of Purmamarca.

The other true high-point of the trip was the hike from Iruya, the hidden gem of northern Argentina, through the villages of San Juan and San Isidoro. Go on this hike and take a step not only into geological prehistory but also human history. Because Facundo has established relations with local villagers, we were able to stay in the houses of peasants, play with their children, talk to them, and enjoy their hospitality. This was for us an unforgettable experience of enchanting natural beauty and a unique opportunity to get to know local inhabitants.

Facundo has an intimate knowledge of the area, its culture, and especially its music and will share them with you.

4  Thank Greg263
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Facundo helped me scout a film production on the Puna in 2010. Facundo and I were immediate friends and we've stayed in touch every since. Facundo has deep knowledge of Salta's history, people and geography. He is also very connected to all the local businesses -including the wineries! My experience in Salta was amazing so I went back again this year with my wife and 10-month old daughter and we booked another trip with Facundo, this time to Cafayate and the Pucara valley. For anyone considering a trip to Salta I would highly recommend connecting with Facundo.