“great ride”
Review of Cabalgatas Gauchas

Cabalgatas Gauchas
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Today my girlfriend and I (with and without any horseriding experience, respectively), enjoyed a great day of horseback riding with Cabalgatas & Gauchas near Salta. We had great fun and we were really surprised to read the negative comments from our fellow travellers from Bristol earlier this year...We were picked up on time, the man that brought us to our destination (which we would respectfully describe as a very charming old ranch (in the family for years) in stead of a little ramshackle) was very friendly and helpful, full of tips about where to eat or go in Salta. Our guide was just great, responsible and funny. During our 2.5 hour horseback riding trip he stopped twice to check the saddles and equipment and he guided also the unexperienced riders on the more difficult (steep and rocky) parts of the track, which is scenic! Before the ride we got a brief written (Spanish and English) instruction. The horses and other animals (dogs, cats, mules) looked fine to us and as far as we could see, the peoples treated all the animals well. Of course you (can) get dirty, scratched and what more so, and it´s true that there are risks involved when you gallop without any experience, but it´s all part of the fun (otherwise might as well watch The Horse Whisperer instead of riding yourself)...The horses we were seemed well trained and responded to most commands they got from the unexperienced riders (like myself)....All in all, fun filled day and an absolute recommendation!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
in 11 reviews
in 7 reviews

Reviewed April 27, 2012

The bus arrived 1 hour late, I called several time to the number on the flyer but nobody picked up the phone....
The horses were not in very good condition, and the same about the equipment for the horses.
I was planinig to do trekking and horseback riding. The trekking it was a joke we walk to a small chapel a 10 minuts from 'La Finca" and they want to charge me for that, because the bus was late, and we didn't have time to do the real trekking.
The BBQ (asado) was great I am vegetarian and they give me differents options of veggies.
After the horseback riding, we have home made break and we drink matecocido or mate, very nice too.
We were back to Salta very late.
They need to improve many thing ...

2  Thank DoriQLondon
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We booked a day of horseriding with Cabalgatas Gauchas through an agent in Salta located in a small mall on Buenos Aires, on their recommendation; we had also booked rafting with Salta Rafting through the same agent the day before which was excellent so we had no reason to be concerned about the horseriding recommendation, little did we know! The guide, Gonzalo, picked us up from our hotel in his (uncomfortable) pick up truck on the morning in question roughly 40 mins late. He had been delayed at another pick up where the people werent ready so he claimed so we let this go. From the off he was a little reserved and surly but we put this down to the language barrier as he seemed to know limited English (despite claims to the contrary on their leaflet); the drive up to the ranch is on a typical bumpy Argentian gravel road and the views were lovely. My first concerns were raised when we arrived at the Estancia - it was a little ramshackle and as noted in a previous review, the horses did not look particularly well kept, with may looking undernourished, their ribs showing prominently. The people at the estancia made no effort to engage us in conversation or interact with us in any way, they kept very much out of the way. We were a pair with another two riders from France who were more experienced, indeed it was only my second time in the saddle. We chose to wear helmets even though it was not insited upon by our guide - most of these were covered in cobwebs and hadnt been used for some time by the looks of it. My first niggle was the horse selected for me - very stubborn and unresponsive to commands, I very quickly fell behind and everyone had to wait for me on more than once occasion - still worse was to come! Gonzalo decided to take us all through a more off route trail and warned us all in advance it was a bit overgrown. This was a complete joke - the foliage was so severe that I almost got knocked off my horse several times and both myself and my wife suffered numerous cuts and scratches on our arms from thorns and undergrowth. The path was barely passable and we were both miserable and furious that our guide had taken us through it! Oh and it might have been nice to have a warning at the start to cover our arms if this is what he had in mind!!! My mood subsequent to this part of the first ride in the morning was black and I was most certainly not enjoying myself (a shame as the scenery was beautiful); the next poor decision on the part of our guide was to encourage my horse to a full gallop - I stated I didnt want to do this, as it was only my second ride, but it happened anyway, much to my dismay! I was almost ready to give up and opt of the afternoon riding at this point but my anger abated and after the merely OK asada lunch we both decided to do the afternoon ride. This was a very bad call! My wife's horse all day had had the opposite problem to mine - it was a little too eager to go fast, though she had managed to cope up until the latter half of this ride. We were about 3/4 mile down a track when the horse decided it had had enough and wanted to go home and it bolted. My wife was terrified, as was I, as I watched her disappear at full speed desperately trying to hold on. Her feet came out of the stirrups and it was only through gripping the sides with all her might and blind luck that she wasnt thrown and seriously injured or worse. Gonzalo on the other hand couldnt care less and was the last to actually pursue and see if she was ok. He took the opportuiny to round up some horses in another field!!! We took no further part after this but couldnt express our true feelings too much as we needed to get our ride back into town. Suffice to say we cannot recommend that you go with this operation. Safety is obviously not a concern and the apathy and arrogance of the reaction we got when a nasty accident was only marginally avoided was enough to make me apoplectic! Certainly the low point of our trip to Argentina.

2  Thank Basemess
Reviewed May 7, 2011

With my 11 year old twins I spent a full day riding. The morning was riding for 2 hours in thick forest the aftenoon 3 hours on dirt paths with a visit to the Finca de la Cruz which was General Guermes´s general headquarters in. The riding was good with very calm horses so even the kids who have little experience felt safe enough to join in the last gallop back to the farm. Hard hats were provided and obligatory. The gauchos were friendly and helpful especially with the kids an their level of english was adequate to give instructions and basic information about the area.
The group was reasonably sized with a maximum of 8 in the afternoon.
Lunch was a typical asado serve on a terrace with basic conditions.
The real down side was that we elected to stay the night in the farm. This is an old building with lots of history but t has no really been renovated. The beds were ancient and uncomfotable, there was no heating it was generally pretty dirty, with no seat on the loo etc. Dinner was eaten with the gauchos and tasy but again general cleanliness was way below standard, breakfast was almost non existent.
Our overall impression was spoiled by the overnight, had we only gone for the day we would have left with memories of freindly helpful peple and a good day out.

2  Thank FueguinoIngles
See more reviews
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We did a full day riding at Cabalbatas Gauchas. The guide picked us up in his pick-up-truck at our hotel in Salta. We are experienced riders and have ridden trails on numerous places in Argentina an the rest of the world. This was one that was not good for many reasons!
First of all the horses looked starved, from a distance you could count the ribs of every horse they had! Second the groups were very big, we were in a group of twelve in which we were the only ones with any riding-experience. Third the guides were in our opinion not so professional, letting one ride with shorts all day is not wise (of coarse the guy had huge sores on both his legs) just as attaching all your horses on the rein! Fourth the guide tried to rip us!! Because he said he had no change walked away and just did as if he had forgotten us. When we asked about our change he started asking how much we had given him...looked a bit curious but finaly gave us our change...yeah right. Fifth after the ride we had to wait to be taken back tot Salta for more then 2 hours (we were entertained with lasso-lessons... but still this is very long) .
Al these things gave us a very bad picture altough the scenery was nice.

4  Thank knuppieknup