“Standard bearer!”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Tilcara
San Carlos, California
“Standard bearer!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Everything about Patio Alto is a delight -- I was blown away by my experience, it ranks among my top 10 hotels worldwide and I have stayed in some real toppers (yes, I have been lucky enough to have traveled widely:) 10 stars for customer service -- the resident manager Pablo makes you feel like you are the only guest in the hotel (thank you Pablo, Patio Alto is so very lucky to have you!). I loved the little touches like the teddy bear on the bed, the flower on the pillow at turn down, the pantry entirely at the disposal of the guests, the wood -fireplace in the sitting area, the movie room, the naturally-lit bathroom, the fruits in the room -- I could go on & on!! My only regret is that I stayed here for a night -- I recommend at least 3 nights in Tilcara to do justice to the beauty of the area plus Patio Alto:)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Patio Alto host Pablo greeted us enthusiastically and throughout our stay was very helpful. He recommended hiking trails and restaurants and made sure we were comfortable in the Patio Alto 2 bedroom suite we stayed in. He even arranged for us to meet three llamas on their way back to town from another guest's expedition.

Patio Alto sits on the hills overlooking the Quebrada de Humahuaca valley and the town of Tilcara and is close to hiking trails and an archaeological site. Patio Alto is very clean, fashioned us with extra blankets and towels and breakfast was very good--a cut above other Argentine hotels. Patio Alto also offers a complimentary tea and cake around 5pm which is a nice touch.

Tilcara should be on everyone's Argentina itinerary. Jujuy's Quebrada de Humahuaca is a world wonder and Tilcara is a quaint destination to spend the night. You'll find very good restaurants, delicious local fare, affordable artesenal crafts and an incredible place to stay in Patio Alto.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ale B
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The shared rooms at Patio Alto are somewhere between the nicest hostel I've ever seen and a boutique, super-luxurious hotel that I'd only go to on special occasions. They have all the little conveniences that makes a traveler's life so much easier – huge lockers, lots of hooks, shelves, and compartments, plenty of outlets in convenient places, toiletries, a separate bathroom, shower, and two sinks, and water/coffee/tea/fruit 24/7 plus a delicious breakfast every morning.

The location is great – it's a 10 minute walk to the center, so just far enough for peace and quiet, but still convenient to walk to the market, bus terminal, or one of the many great peñas, bars, or restaurants in the area. There are also several nice hikes that start nearby. The staff are happy to provide all the information needed to help plan your activities and next travel destinations. In fact, what makes this place so special, in my opinion, is the people. They pay superb attention to customer service, and it's obvious that Pablo, the manager, has a true passion for hospitality.

There are lots of nice-looking places to stay in Tilcara, but this one is definitely a gem. My time here was a wonderful experience, that stands out among all the places I've stayed in my 2+ years of constant travel. I hope very much to be back some day!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I meant to write this review one year ago but am on a review-athon after my returning from another trip. I was absolutely delighted with Patio Alto. As a back packer staying in the hostel section, I thought I would be spit on at a place like Patio Alto but the manager explained the owner's philosophy for the inn - having a place for both backpackers and other travellers to feel at home. Such a beautiful place. I still remember the delightful fresh breakfast with all sorts of fresh jams and bread. They definitely deserved the award for 2012. I also enjoyed using the movie room. Wished I could have stayed there for a month! It's been a year and I still remember it like it was yesterday!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Paris
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed in Patio Alto in February with two more friends, we spend 3 night there, but we could spend 2 weeks cause this place is great!!. Rooms very clean and new. Amazing view of the landscape, and the staff very friendly and helpful, specially Felipe and Pablo. We loved the breakfast, the food had good quality, home-made bio. Nothing to envy to 4 star hotels!! I highly recommend this place to relax yourself!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 10, 2011

If you want some luxury for a reasonable price this is the place.
Designed by a couple of architects, everything is thought of. Not the usual hostel. It's more a small hotel with double rooms and 3 4-bed dorms. If you like beautiful design you will love this place. The shower, the big private lockers, the living room and even the breakfast is perfect. And everything spotless and new. You will pay a little bit more and don't expect the real hostel vibe, but the perfect place to recover from or prepare for your next low budget, dirty, noisy, hippie filled backpackers hangout. There is free fruit, coffee and tea. And an extra kitchen you can use. It's an hotel experience for a hostel price.
Downside: could be a bit quiet and internet is way to slow and there is no wifi.
I stayed 1 night and after my visited to Iruja 2 more nights and had the whole dorm for me alone.
A real friendly and helpful host completes the great stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank oege v
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I arrived in Tilcara a little under the weather and Patio Alto was the perfect remedy. Pablo was the best host and made sure I had everything I needed. I booked one night but ended up staying four. The place is clean, the breakfast amazing. There is a lovely garden to chill out in (with hammock!) and a movie room. The 'hostel' is more like a hotel than anything else and it was a real privilege to stay there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mike M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tilcara
Las Marias Hotel Boutique
Hotel Vientonorte
Hotel Vientonorte
#6 of 15 in Tilcara
Mirador del Virrey, Cabanas Boutique

Been to Patio Alto? Share your experiences!