“Salty!”

49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Salty!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

The way to the salt pan is very curvy but the view is amazing! It is located at 3450 masl so your ears can get blocked (think to bring some chewing-gum!) and you might get a bit dizzy (well, I did...). But when you arrive and you see all that extension of salt you can get speechless! There is an old salt hotel but at the moment it's not qualified to host people.

I visited in August 2008

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Might be good?”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I unfortunately couldn't rent a car during my trip (sadly do not know how to drive manual, only automatic) so was forced to do a group tour of this area. Well... I'm sure it is fabulous, but I really wouldn't know based on my tour. It was by far the worst tour I've ever been on. I actually don't go on many guided tours, opting to go on my own and at my own pace. This would have been great on my own ,but the tour was horrible. It was a 13 hour drive round trip to Salta. The driver only spoke spanish (was supposed to be bilingual) but much worse, he never stopped! We only had on break in the middle of nowhere for TWO hours. The reason for our stop - it was the drivers girl friends town. So we milled about for two hours with nothing to see or do. Got back into the mini van and kept driving... and driving, and driving. At one point, the people in the car were taking pictures at a frantic pace out to a what looked like a distant pond. We didn't stop. about 20 minutes passes and he says, for once in english looking directly at me "hope you got your photo, that was the salt flat". Seriously. We drove by it, no stopping. What a joke of a tour. Upon our return, we drive by the hills of the seven colors at night. Couldn't see a thing. What a shame.
can't even name the tour company as they just pile in a bunch of people from different sources into the same tour. I booked with Destino Exotico. Others booked with other companies.

Visited April 2014
5 Thank doesntmatter415
JAPAN
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Beautiful!!”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The clear sky bule makes it more beautiful.
Comission free.
You can enter and walk on the lake as you like.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Suits_caser
Silver City, New Mexico
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great stop!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

An interesting part of the Earth, the Salinas Grandes salt flats extend over a 300 square mile area and are located northwest of Purmamarca in the Province of Jujuy. This kind of terminal high desert dry lake or salt flat also known as a "playa" occurs when water containing salt and minerals invades a low area and eventually evaporates leaving behind a deposit of salt. Artisans sell their wares, made of large and small grains of salt and of carved flat stones, at humble prices. Beautiful images worth taking a look at and easy to carry home, the crafts make a wonderful memory of an unusual place to experience.

Visited June 2013
Buenos Aires, Argentina
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“great spaces, bright light, colours”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

It has been a stop on the way from San Antonio de los Cobres to Purmamarca.
We got there after two solid hours (on a minibus driven as a 4x4 (it is a compliment) on a sandy track on the Puna high flat, the Salinas is located just before the road starts climbing to a 4170m Pass, and the sudden descent to Purmamarca.
The view at the Salinas Grandes is impressive and worth stopping for a walk and photos.
We got there in the late afternoon and the light and colours were great, not crowded, at all.
The salt patterns are very interesting, and they get different, and even more evident, a couple of Km beyond the Salina on your way to the Pass
Very different from the other places in the area.
Recommended