“Beautiful!!”

Full-Day Tour to Salinas Grandes, San Antonio and Purmamarca
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The clear sky bule makes it more beautiful.
Comission free.
You can enter and walk on the lake as you like.

1  Thank Suits_caser

Reviewed December 26, 2013

An interesting part of the Earth, the Salinas Grandes salt flats extend over a 300 square mile area and are located northwest of Purmamarca in the Province of Jujuy. This kind of terminal high desert dry lake or salt flat also known as a "playa" occurs when water containing salt and minerals invades a low area and eventually evaporates leaving behind a deposit of salt. Artisans sell their wares, made of large and small grains of salt and of carved flat stones, at humble prices. Beautiful images worth taking a look at and easy to carry home, the crafts make a wonderful memory of an unusual place to experience.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

It has been a stop on the way from San Antonio de los Cobres to Purmamarca.
We got there after two solid hours (on a minibus driven as a 4x4 (it is a compliment) on a sandy track on the Puna high flat, the Salinas is located just before the road starts climbing to a 4170m Pass, and the sudden descent to Purmamarca.
The view at the Salinas Grandes is impressive and worth stopping for a walk and photos.
We got there in the late afternoon and the light and colours were great, not crowded, at all.
The salt patterns are very interesting, and they get different, and even more evident, a couple of Km beyond the Salina on your way to the Pass
Very different from the other places in the area.
Recommended

3  Thank besyta
Reviewed August 31, 2013

It takes about three hours on an unpaved dirt road to go from San Antonio to Salinas Grandes. When someone tells you that you are taking the road alongside the train to the clouds, it sounds so exciting, but why do they forget to tell you it is unpaved and very rocky?

A stunning natural phenomenon, these salt flats took about 22 million years to form the current topography. Salt deposits from a since-disappeared body of water cover the ground here, forming a durable surface that appears snowy from a distance and almost fossil-like up close.

Salt can have a big glare, when not in a salt shaker and laid out in salt flats of 8,290 kilometers.
For more info and photos go to http://havefunflysafe.com/2013/08/18/things-i-have-learned-in-jujuy-argentina/

2  Thank jaynezak
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Las Salinas Grandes is amazing. I traveled to Purmamarca by myself -- to get to Las Salinas Grandes, there are remises (private cars) that pick up passengers just off the main square in town. If you go in the morning, you'll find drivers looking to take people. My driver's name was Ignacio -- he hands out cards with his business name "San Ignacio" - telephone is 0388 154793681 -- he is far from a saint -- DO NOT GO WITH HIM.

I was with him all day and tipped him well. After the 4 hour trip to Las Salinas, I agreed to let him drive me from Purmamarca to JuJuy (1 hour). After putting my bags in his car leaving my hotel, I went to use the bathroom and left my coat on the front seat of his car. While I was in the bathroom, he took advantage to search my pockets and stole my camera. DO NOT USE HIS SERVICE -- I've been in Argentina 6 months and all my pictures that I never downloaded from various trips are gone. My bad for not downloading the photos:(

8  Thank mtsmithinnyc