“Sushi is excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Sushi is excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have been coming here for some time and never had a bad meal. They usually have a special going on every day.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Leilani P

Mesa, Arizona
“Good sushi, VERY SLOW kitchen”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We got here at 6 pm and ordered. The ramen noodles took 20 mins to get to us. The noodles were perfectly cooked to the right consistency. BUT, the soup was way too salty. They used burned garlic in the base, which made the soup bitter. It was also dark brown and murky, meaning that the soup was boiled with meat or bones. Japanese soup for noodles is always slow cooked and never to a boil, so it always comes out clear. They obviously cannot execute this properly. What's even worse, the waitress touted this ramen as really good when we ordered it. She clearly needs some training about Japanese cooking.

The blood orange roll took 35 mins to come out. Good flavor however. We thought that was long enough, BUT --

The yellowtail roll came out at 6:55 pm. Even longer wait! Fully 55 mins from when we walked in -- Unacceptable. Flavor not bad, but nothing much to it without the jalapenos they put on top. Not worth $13.

Out total bill came to almost $38. Not worth the trip for this kind of wait.

Seeing they only have 11-13 tables total, the chefs obviously need to get better organized. This kind of wait time for food for any restaurant is a very bad sign.

Servers are attentive, but since they did not even offer to discount the food for the long wait, their customer service needs reengineering.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JonCSBC
Gilbert, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average food, bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

While the Sushi and Sashimi at Sakana are good they are not special when it comes to a restaurant, there are plenty of Sushi places within ten minutes of them that can easily provide better service.

I gave them a second chance tonight and while the Sushi service was slightly better, the service from the waitstaff and inept manager was poor. The straw that broke the Camel's back was at the end of the meal, when I paid I never received any change. My bill was $103 and the server stood to make a good tip but they assumed that the $110 i paid with was all i wanted to give, so it went to the back never to come out again.

We waited for 15-20 minutes and nothing came, they were presumptive and it cost them future business from me which I made sure to inform the manager of. I hope the $7 that they took from me was worth a repeat customer who lives nearby going somewhere else in the future, then again they probably don't care.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Justin N
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I'm a regular.. I'm there every single week. Their specials are fabulous and so is their happy hour. The sushi is very fresh, the service is great and I love their prices. I have taken many of my friends and family here, who now come back on their own. Super!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Izabellav448
Mesa, Arizona
“Nothing in Arizona can compare.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Have been loyal customers since Sakana first opened in Ahwatukee 19 years ago. Moving to Mesa in 2004, we were so grateful when Sakana opened it's Power Road location, yet, we always note that we have to pass at least 3 other Sushi restaurants on the way to Sakana. (we have given each of the others a visit). Surpassing all it's competition in portion size, quality and value we return here for the professional, personal chefs and staff and highly recommend the dining experience.

• Visited August 2013