“Disappointment”

Add it.
Bill Johnson's Big Apple
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our grandkids called on our 51st anniversary to ask where we would like to go for dinner. One of our favorite affordable places has been Bill Johnson's Big Apple in downtown Mesa. The food was great - except for the chili. It was dry, overcooked and clumped up in the mouth. It was returned. Our server was terrific! I'm just sorry I didn't get his name. The first change - no sawdust on the floor. This has always been a signature of the Big Apple. Second change - the servers no longer dressed Western with a six-shooter on their hip. Again, this was what made it different and fun. The most drastic change was a new menu - with MUCH HIGHER prices! The deep-dish apple, cherry or peach pies are no longer offered - an apple pie for 2 @ $13.95 was not for us. There was no Bill Johnson's B-B-Q sauce on the table - we had to ask. This will no longer be our favorite place - no ambiance and out of our price range.

1  Thank Marchelle P

Reviewed May 11, 2013

fatty pulled pork, everything but the pulled pork is WAY too expensive, which is why I rated the price as too high; we've tried all of the Mesa BBQ places and this is the most awful by far

2  Thank miki m
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This restaurant is not quite what it used to be. It's hard to put your finger on what changed, but it has. The exterior is rather shabby looking, while the interior remains western themed, although without the sawdust on the floor. Folks from out of state, looking for something unusual, something to write home about, usually get a kick out of the decor. It is very western and very genuine. But, the last three times I have eaten there the place had maybe 3-4 tables occupied. Maybe that's part of the change; Bill Johnson's was always the place to eat when you were in that part of town. The server was very friendly, but there are fewer of them. So, the service can be a little bit slow. My table was very sticky the last time that I was there, and I ended up seating myself--which just didn't happen in the recent past. You were greeted, welcomed and seated. The food was OK, nothing tasty or delicious, although it was plentiful. If I had an out of state guest I would probably take them there, but I wouldn't return otherwise.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I love coming here for their breakfasts. I know it is a barbeque place but I love the pancakes. So fluffy and delicious.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Ate here right after a Cubs spring training game. We were the only ones in the restaurant at first and made me a little leery. By the time we left there were more and more people coming in. Loved the old time Western feel to the place. Had a good meal and the staff were particularly friendly and attentive. The parking lot looked a little run down, to the degree we were not even sure if the place was open, so it was a nice surprise once we got inside. Had some good pulled pork BBQ.