“Dinner with Family”

Cuisines: Mexican
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
“Dinner with Family”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This not your typical "one on every corner gringo Mexican food cafe". It is old time and authentic. No fluff! The ambieance has not changed for years and the recipes are the same that I have been eating here for over 60 years. Folks that have grown up in Mesa are known by name and the family members have been stable and consistent. The best meals are; anything with green chili beef, the chili rellenos and tamales. Try the Mexican cheese tortilla for a definite treat. The salsa is to die for and the chili sauce is spicy but not crazy hot...mucho flavor! Have a designated driver? Get a Super margarita...the super is in the kick not the size!

• Visited May 2013

Fall City, Washington
“So-so food and ambience.”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The food here was good, but not great. It is clear that it has some loyal clientele that just love it, but I was underwhelmed. It is an older place that could use some remodeling.

Visited October 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Definitely not the happiest place on earth - expect poor service”
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We live down the street and decided to take a stroll to eat at a convieniently located restaurant. It was our first trip here. We were greeted by two hostesses arguing among each other on who would seat us. We sat down and were promptly met by our waitress who started off with, "Do you know what you want?" Ummmm, "Can we start off with some waters and a beer?" We hadn't had the time to open our menus, yet. I asked, "What beers do you have?" The waitress responded, "We have a full bar with TV's, would you like to sit over there?" I kindly said, "We are fine here, thanks. We'll have a dos XX." She said, "Oh, we don't have that. We have corona, pacifico, and (I don't remember the third beer she said)." We ordered a pacifico, but I wondered if it was really that hard of her to tell us the three beers they have? She came back with the beverages and asked again if we knew what we wanted (nope, my boyfriend and I were still caught up in conversation with each other) and reminded us that they close at 9:00.
Moving on, by this point our opinion was already biased, but maybe the food could save it? The chips and salsa - chips were really good, "hot" salsa was good, mild salsa was mediocre. We shared an enchilada and tamale plate that came with beans and rice (~$9.50). The portion was fine for the two of us to share, we left full, but not stuffed. I thought the tamale was great and the enchilada was average. My boyfriend thought it was all average. It was very Americanized Mexican food.
As far as decor, it has dark walls, but is tasteful.
As my phone showed 9:00, my boyfriend and I decided it was time to go, also since our waitress was twirling her car keys around her finger we took a hint.
However, just as we were greeted with non-chalant bickering, we also exited to the bickering of two employees arguing about who was supposed to add up what pile of tickets. The employees of this place are definitely not the happiest on earth.
If you are desperate for some decent Mexican food, then go ahead and drop in, but don't expect much in terms of service that would ever make you want to go back.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank guera0322
tucson
“Terrible service unauthentic food!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We are used to the El Charro in Tucson and this place has food which is horrible and nothing like the El Charro in Tucson! Not to mention service by a person who appears to want nothing to do with being in the service industry! Do not bother trying to take home anything or ordering for takeout since they do not provide you with sufficient containers for takeout. We were in Mesa for a dance competition and I sent my husband and oldest daughter to get our lunch. When he told me where he was, I asked for a carne asada taco but guess what? They don't offer carne asada tacos! They also don't offer cheese crisps which is what my youngest would have liked. Needless to say, I would rather go to subway than ever try to dine here again!

• Visited June 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Great food and view”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Had a great meal and the view of the Camelback Mountains is pretty spectacular. Nice outside bar area to enjoy the view as well.

Visited April 2013