“Lots of little annoyances...”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix Mesa West
Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We've stayed at plenty of La Quinta's and been happy, but this one seemed a notch below many others.

The location is in the Mesa Fiesta district of Mesa which is really just a shopping district that never took off. There are a few shops and restaurants in the area but many have closed. It doesn't feel dodgy, it's just oddly empty. If you want access to the East side of Phoenix, it's a good launch location since it's just two blocks from Hwy 60. Oddly enough, the police headquarters is right across the street which unfortunately means the occasional siren (more than you'd expect in the suburbs).

We stayed in a suite and found it to be a reasonable size for us and our 16 mo old daughter so she could sleep in the other room, but we found a lot of small annoyances. The TV in the bedroom didn't work properly (we discovered only after we had put our daughter down in the main room and couldn't call anyone), the couch in the living room sagged uncomfortably, our room just didn't seem as clean as it could have been (we found popcorn under the couch and earrings on the table), the french doors between the bedroom and the living room really didn't close anymore (the latching mechanisms were broken) and the french doors between the living room and bathroom also had seen better days, the closets used two different hanger sizes (so you couldn't transfer something from one closet to the other, the door jam looked as though it was on its last legs, light switches and electrical outlets didn't work, and the hotel WiFi was sorely lacking and would regularly disconnect us. The breakfast wasn't as nice as other La Quinta's we've been in, but it wasn't bad; they had cereal, waffles, hard boiled eggs, muffins, yogurt, coffee and juice, but it was always a challenge to find a place to sit.

Those are all minor nits...and none that we really felt like we wanted to bring up to management, but they just added up over our stay (of 4 nights). The hotel just felt older and more run down than we like.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Brian_Davis

Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix Mesa West during the Christmas holidays. We reserved a one bedroom suite for my wife, my kids, and I for 5 nights. The bedroom bed had bed bugs. My wife was bitten several times on her wrist and arm on the second night. We notified the hotel, and they had someone check it out and said it was clear. Then, my wife was bitten again on the fourth night on her legs. We complained at the front desk, and they credited our stay for the two nights we had problems. I requested that management contact me to discuss the issue further. They never contact me. Then, I called the hotel and was told that management would call me. They still did not call. I was very disappointed in the lack of professionalism and responsiveness of management. There were a couple of positives that we experienced: the front desk personnel were friendly, breakfast was quite good, and our rate was good. I cannot recommend this hotel though. Overall, disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CBaumgartner
Reviewed February 7, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and will return. The beds were great and the rooms were clean and large. I was surprised. Good location for my business meeting. I did not eat breakfast here but the coffee was good.

Room Tip: I stayed on the forth floor and the room was quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank David H
A TripAdvisor Member
Joseph City, Arizona
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We love to stay at this hotel. We have had great experiences with la quinta in mesa. We love the breakfast, its in a quit location, and over all is just very clean. We stay with our kids and the staff is very friendly toward them. Great place.....

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Excellent facility, friendly and efficient staff, good complimentary breakfast, easy on/off Superstiong Freeway (Highway 60, east/west).

(Even though your guidelines require at least 200 characters, what I have already said is all I have to say.........this is just to meet the 200 characters requirement, which should be changed, in my opinion. If I had been told in advance about that requirement, I would not have responded.)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo