“Nothing impressive” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Phoenix, United States
“Nothing impressive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed in Lost Dutchman Suite. Big room with full kitchen but bring your own soap, towels, paper products. Bring your own hair conditioner. It is near a lot of stores that are close for walking. Did not try pool or fitness center. Hotel is ok. Friendly staff. Very basic.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Saint Cloud
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very nice place to stay. Comfortable and reasonably priced. Close to McDonalds and Denny's on one side and a whole mall full of stores and restaurants on the other side. The bed was very comfortable. Our door exited into the parking lot so we thought it might noisy for sleeping but it wasn't.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Mesa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel was absolutely amazing the staff was excellent! It was located by the mall so we had things do to while we were there. Also the Denny's gave us 25% off our meal. Also the staff placed on the side where there was very little traffic so me & my partner could sleep soundly. Overall a great experience!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Mesa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Upon check in they take your personal information down, drivers license numbers, ect.. Two different stories as to why they need it. First one is the city of Mesa wants it, second story is that it is required by the state. The worst part is, they leave the entire list laying on the counter. And can never come up with documentation that it is required by anyone but themselves. The first room they gave me still had the carpet driers going in it. So why do they want to rent that room?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars

Las Vegas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

There is not better way to visit other places from home than staying at a hotel that makes you feel at home! That is the feeling and comfort we get when we stay at the Best Western Hotel in Superstition Springs in Gilbert, Arizona!!! My family and I are always happy and comfortable because the facility is clean and the staff are accomodating!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Florence, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed one night here when family was in town. I know businesses need to keep costs under control but it irritates me when they do not have the a/c already on when you go in.(Especially in the summer months in Phoenix area) It was a very hot and humid day and we were sooo uncomfortable for the hours it took to adequately cool the room down to our liking. Other than that, the room was nice and clean and had a fridge and microwave. The bed was fairly comfortable. The hair dryer did pop and spark and smoke in my hand...lol...which scared the crap out of me, but it did look ancient. Time to replace! Good area around Superstition Springs Mall. Very busy area but heard very little noise at night. Over all a good stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed for 21 nights in this hotel and it was my 2nd time in Mesa. I found it better lit and more comfortable than my previous stay in the Clarion on W Main Street. The coffee machine was nice and simple to understand and the basic cable on the large LG television was great for charging my USB devices at the same time as catching up on the local news & weather.

Given prior experiences with hard toast and cold coffee, I gave breakfast a miss on the first half of my trip but decided to check it out towards the last few days and I was sorry I didn't do it sooner. Making my own waffles was a cool new experience though on two days we had to ask for the batter to be refilled shortly after breakfast had opened (also lots of items were also missing and had to be asked to be replenished, perhaps the person in charge of breakfast didn't turn up that day?)

The breakfast room is 'cosy' and only has about 7 tables but luckily I never had to wait for a vacant table and there were never more than 2 groups in there when I visited. Paper plates are provided along with disposable cutlery so on most days we just took it out the exit and back into the hotel room to finish anyway.

If the breakfast room is full or closed (after 9am) the lady at check-in whose name escapes me told me that Denny's, across the parking lot in the same complex gives 20% discount to customers with their Best Western key card - but I'd definitely recommend Over Easy as a place to eat breakfast instead, across from the 5 & Diner on E Southern Ave behind My Big Fat Greek Restaurant.

Depending on the area of town you're in, motels can often feel like shady places and my previous stay on Main Street opened my eyes to that. I always felt safe and not once was I awoken at 5am by the whistle of a freight train as I was elsewhere on my last trip to Mesa!

The WiFi is a bit sketchy in the room but works perfectly in the lobby and there's a weird set-up that has about 7 different WiFi networks for the same hotel depending on where in the building you find yourself, which means that you can't stay connected without interruption while moving from your room to the lobby, or even from the door to the back near the bathroom as you'll drop off of your network and pick up another.

The bed in room 115 was super comfortable, springy and soft and slightly more raised than Motel 6 would have you believe was the norm.

The shower was confusing to understand. I first had to figure out the WiFi so I could Google instructions for it. A sentence or two on how to operate it added to the guest directory book would help, and/or a diagram. Luckily 'how to operate delta monitor shower' is answered in abundance on the web but for completeness, you have to turn on the tap and then pull up and hold for a few seconds on the metal tab above the faucet to switch the flow from bath to shower.

The complementary Dial shower gel is a nice alternative to showering with hotel bar soap, had I expected it I might not have packed my own because the dispenser attached to the shower wall is a lot more convenient than locating and opening a slippery bottle I guess. There's also a dispenser for shampoo.

The phone was a bit troublesome. I used it most days to call a cab from my room, and every other call would be dropped before it would even ring out. On one occasion I dialled '0' for the lobby and was greeted by the bewildered voice of another guest in a different room! Confusing and embarrassing!

The mall is nice and close with all the staple stores and a large food court upstairs. We caught a Beatles tribute band by chance playing outside by the fountain which was fun. The Picture Show theater is also good value, for movies no longer in theatrical release in other cinemas. If you're prepared to wait a few months after blockbusters come out you can catch a good movie for $2.00 if you go on a Tuesday! Every other day it's $4.00 and for 3D movies I think it was $5.

Other things about the room: It has an additional security chain on the door, adjustable A/C, plenty of lighting for night-time (in the day you need only open the curtains a tiny crack), phone with free local calls, iron with board, microwave and fridge with freezer-box.

Overall, I'd give a 4 out of 5. When I'm back in Mesa in a few months I'll be checking in to this hotel again and have signed up for the reward scheme. You could do a lot worse than to book a room here.

Room Tip: I stayed on the lower level directly oppposite McDonalds and was told smells from neighbouring smoki...