“Breakfast was a joke”

Howard Johnson Mesa Gilbert
Ranked #47 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have stayed in about a dozen Ho/Jo hotels and this one was by far the worst. The bathroom needed major repair I thought the ceiling was going to cave in at any minute. Poor picture on the TV no matter what channel it was on. Went in for breakfast at 7:00 and all the had were these tiny banana nut muffins and I mean half the size of a normal muffin and coffee which was empty. Had to ask this huge guy at the counter to make more. Waited 15 min for my first cup, took it back to my room and came back 15 min later and again no coffee. I think the guy behind the counter was playing games on a laptop probably his computer. I gave the service a 2 only because the guy working the counter in the morning. When I checked in the staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Paul W
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Mesa Gilbert

Reviewed October 6, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Had a nice stay at the Howard Johnson. My room was nice and clean, everything was in working order. Checked in around 2, check in was quick and fast. The frontdesk knew alot of places in the area to eat at. She was very nice and welcoming. Will be staying here again in months to come. thanks

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Frank P
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed at the Howard Johnson Mesa while on business, it was close to where I had my meeting. The room was clean and everything worked great, the TV got good reception and the wireless was easy to connect to. The only comment I have is, the area around the hotel is not the best. But to remedy that, they have video cameras all around hotel. And the staff does watch the property. The reason I know this, is because shortly after I checked in, I went out for a meal. When I got back, my room key didn’t work. Within 2 minutes the guy who checked me in, came down and let me in. When I asked "how do you know I was having trouble with the door" he said I was watching on the cameras. I thanked him for coming down so quick. But later I thought to myself, it’s good the hotel is monitoring what goes on. Makes me feel safe. I would definitely stay here again and recommend the place to anyone looking for a good clean and safe place to stay in Mesa.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Booked the Howard Johnson for one night last minute. I priced a lot of hotels in the area and this one came in near the lower end of the price range. I wasn’t expecting much given the low rate. Check-in was quick. The room was great! Really an eye opener. Extremely clean and spacious. Clean bathroom as well. No complaints about the room. Housekeepers were so friendly and incredibly hard-working too. You could just tell by their mannerisms they really enjoy their work. The neighborhood was a little sketchy, but that’s not the hotels fault.
Overall I had a great stay and would recommend this to anyone! Don't be thrown off by the other comments, this place was great!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mesa
Ramada Mesa
Ramada Mesa
#18 of 57 in Mesa
Baymont Inn & Suites Mesa Near Downtown
Residence Inn Phoenix Gilbert
Hampton Inn & Suites Phoenix East Mesa
Phoenix Marriott Mesa
La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix Mesa West

Been to Howard Johnson Mesa Gilbert? Share your experiences!