“Dobson Ranch Mesa”

Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area
Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We have stayed here before in Dec 2004 and we fully enjoyed the cooked to order breakfast
and our clean and comfortable room. Our last stay in December 2013 was a little disappointing.
The restaurant breakfast was now a buffet style. Our room was a little tired looking and smelled
like stale cigarette smoke. The plumbing has not changed we had excellent water pressure and
the showers were fantastic.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank partsgerald
Wkaplan599, General Manager at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Partsgerald,
Thank you for your review. I hope your next visit won't take ten years. This year marks our 35 anniversary and the property has a marvelous history. Part of that history was a cooked to order breakfast and the famous Dale Anderson's "The Other Place" Restaurant. Today the Cactus Clubhouse has just re-opened for dinner with a whole new kitchen staff and executive chef. I don't know if we will be able to return to the time of made-to-order breakfast, but we may someday have an option of free buffet or paid for sit down breakfast with separate cooked to order menu.
I apologize about the stale cigarette smell, please inform the Front Desk next time so that we can move you to a better room. We are No Smoking facility yet sometimes our nicotine addicted guests don't like to obey the rules. We try our very best to curb their habit from ruining the experience for the next guest.

Karl Le Claire

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed there for two nights. Our room was nicely appointed, and very clean. The breakfast buffet saved us a few dollars too! The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The primary tip I would give to others is to request a room as far away from the freeway as you can get - and if you happen to be on the freeway side, as we were, turn the heating/cooling fan on high. It was just enough noise to mask the freeway traffic.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank aznance

Dear Aznance,
Thank you for your review. I am glad we surprised you and that our team was helpful and friendly. Please come again and ask for an interior room facing the pool or courtyard or facing the fountains.

Karl Le Claire

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I had to book a trip to Phoenix at very short notice. Got a great deal on flight, car and room combination. The car and flight worked out very well. The room on the other hand was a disappointment. The property was very nice looking. The staff was friendly and mostly helpful.
The room was not much. It was large and roomy. It was how ever well used. The carpet and bath tub were stained. The bath and bed linens were cleaned, but well used. The in room iron and air conditioner didn't work. Worst of all there was no COLD water. The iron was quickly replaced. I was told the air conditioning system had been turned off for the winter. The room was south facing and therefore very heated by all day sun shining on it. The air was turned back on the second afternoon I was there.
After telling two different people at the front desk and the maintenance man about the water, it was never addressed.
The hotel's web site says the room I was in rents for $89 a night. Definitely way over priced.

Room Tip: Stay away from south facing rooms. They get very warm from constant sun. I was there in December and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DebPat2011
Wkaplan599, General Manager at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear DebPat2011,
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you got a good deal on your trip. Bundling can save you lots of money. The days you were here, we did experience some hot water issues and I apologize for the inconvenience. I had spoken to maintenance about responding quickly to guest's needs. If you have any other issues, ideas and concern, please contact me. We would be most happy to take action immediately.

Karl LeClaire

Reviewed November 28, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Nursing S
Wkaplan599, General Manager at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Recently stayed 2 nights at the motel. The room was very outdated, bathroom needed a through cleaning and linens are what I use at my home for cleaning rags. Thought the bathroom might be cleaner after the maid service was in after the first night but it was not. The breakfast they provide was terrible.....only fresh fruit available was a bowl of apples. The toaster and waffle makers looked like they nad not been cleaned in a while and were pretty scary. The first morning we were at breakfast we reported a loose bench at one of the booths....when we went back the next morning it still has not been reparied....a real hazard. Also noticed as guests left their tables the tables were not wiped off before a new guest would use the table again. I am sure I will not be a return guest.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Lynell A

Thank you for your review. We will be celebrating 35 years as a time honored vintage resort in Mesa. As you have noted the ground and rooms are larger and charming. As for your other issues, I have informed housekeeping to get on top of those things as we once again refresh our interiors.
We have a whole new restaurant staff and the complimentary free breakfast has been improved, yet we recognize it's difficult to offer something for free and be able to please everyone.

K Le Claire

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Well, were do I start, the executive suites are not what I call an Executive Suite. This is a room with no breadspread, stains on the sofa, sheets and towels needed a good washing with clorox, pillows were horrible, tile in our shower also needed some clorox and scrubbing some mildew between the cracks of the shower tile, carpet is stained, no iron, soda machine on the floor was broken, blowdryer worked not so great, room smelled old and not refreshing. I needed ice and the halls are so dark and drewy, cauld use some new bright paint, white or light yellow and some pictures or drawings. Executive suites (so they call them) is near the linen room and displayed woman folding sheets and towels out in the open. I was afraid to walk barefoot carpet was dirty.

On a positive note the breakfast was good but cauld use some improvements.
to many hands on the bread and condiments and should wrap the bread in individual single servings in plastic wrap the ketcup should be individual packages. Waffles were great.
We needed to be up early for breakfast 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. but when we arrived
they had a sign up that said breakfast is 7:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.)

hotel has alot of potential and the grounds were somewhat nice but needed some fresh paint
Some exterior floor tile work was being done near the banquet room and I almost walked
into that. No sign was posted to block quests from walking into this work area.

I WILL NOT BE BACK

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise. Halls are dark
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank choosewisely2015

Thank you for your review. We will be celebrating 35 years as a time honored vintage resort in Mesa. As you have noted the grounds and rooms are large and charming. We remodeled 8 years ago and triple sheets are the new way to go in hotels. All sheets are cleaned for your use rather than having bedspread that wasn't always clean... if you know what I mean.
As for your other issues, I have informed housekeeping to get on top of those things we once again refresh our interiors. We have whole new restaurant staff and the complimentary free breakfast has been improved, yet we recognize it's difficult to offer something for free and be able to please everyone.

K. Le Claire

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights for a conference so I didn't choose this hotel. The grounds are nice to walk around and I had a nice walk each morning. The desk clerk, Jake, was a nice young man and gave me a room by the pool and fairly close to where the group was meeting. The chair in the room was pretty worn. Towels very small and thin and really should be a better quality. Checked out the hot tub which wasn't too terribly bad. Some debris floating but I'm sure that was from the close proximity of the trees Lots of dirt in the bottom which looked to me like it hadn't been vacuumed in a while. Breakfast was just OK. Not much in the way of fruit. Smallest bagels I've ever seen. The group had contracted for snacks and lunch each day as well as dinner the first night. The dinner was terrible. Prime rib was tough, salad not fresh and something they called chocolate mousse inedible. The lunch on Thursday and Friday was average and they ran out of some of the selections and didn't have enough seating for our group. They seemed a little disorganized when setting up for the afternoon snack. Had yogurt out there but no spoons first day and cake and no forks. Almost like this was their first go around with a group! Two of the rooms I visited with friends smelled musty and thankfully not mine. The price was good so no complaints there. Wireless didn't work anywhere on the grounds but the lobby and everyone in the group complained about that. Thankfully I had my own wireless so I was good but I felt bad for the others as they couldn't get their emails. The coffee in the lobby on the second day was really gross and I truly do believe it was the same coffee from the day before. The staff I encountered was friendly. This isn't any place I would seek out. I think the photos make it look better than it really is.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Elisabeth G

Thank you for your review. We will be celebrating 35 years as a time honored vintage resort in Mesa. As you noted the grounds and rooms are large and charming. At present we are working with Cox Cable to improve our free internet service. They should be up and running by Dec 15 with streaming capability.

K. Le Claire