“Just fine”

Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area
Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Our weekend stay at the BWDR was fine.
The room was a bit musty and tired but comfortable and all we needed. I'm sure we would have better things to say about the room if it looked out onto the lovely courtyard or the pool, but our view was of the parking lot and that was OK for our purposes. The front desk called shortly after we got there to ask if everything was OK (a nice touch), we told them one of the bedside lamps didn't work and someone was there within a few minutes to fix it.
On check-in they give you two Free Drink chits which was nice and much needed after the flight. Lots of hotels give you a "free breakfast" which usually includes cereal and fruit, maybe yogurt. BWDR's free breakfast was much better, with eggs, bacon, fruit, bagels/toast, etc. A large step-up from the usual.
My only complaint would be the cost. But that's Phoenix. And when you consider what you would pay in a restaurant for a comparable breakfast, its not so bad.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 17, 2008

We stayed here duing the first week in Feb. and it wasnt tooooo bad for the money.
The pool is nice.. but you will be told to leave at 10pm.
The room is very big, great bed, fridge, but it does have that old musty smell.
The shower and toilet are in a separate room, which is great. And although the water pressure is excellent, the shower head is very low. I had to do squats to have the water fall on the top of my head. < Im 5'7".>
Ive had alot better breakfast. Fresh fruit < apples and oranges> no yogurt. The warming dishes that contained the scrambled eggs, bacon, home fries, and quiche.. were very awkward to open and close. I had to stand on my toes, while behind the table a couple of the staff just stood there watching me struggle. But, they never assisted anyone. Not really sure why they were there...lol.
There is one very, very slow computer in the lobby.
The location is great.
There are soooo many great hotels for similar price, we wont stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2008

The rooms had that old motel smell. The desk staff complained among each other about other guests as if you were not there. The second night of our stay, the room key didn't work; we went to the office and found they wanted to see our credit card "again" because evidently they didn't swipe it when we gave it to them the first night? Subsequently, we were able to regain entry to our room and belongings. The site and layout of the property is nice but the rooms and staff should be refreshed. If not, nightly rates should be lowered..

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank TomBMinnesota
Reviewed November 16, 2007

We stayed here for four nights in late August. The hotel is old and in need of some updating, but very clean. The hotel is right off the highway and very convenient. The free continental breakfast was excellent. Much better than any of the other chain hotels.

The only issue I had with the hotel concerned the pool. They have a huge, beautiful pool which we visited three times while there. Every night we went to the pool there was a man that sat on one of the lounge chairs and chain smoked one cigarette after another for at least an hour (all the hotel rooms are smoke free). We were in the pool and there was no where to go to avoid the smoke. After the second night we were at the pool I went to the front desk and asked if smoking was allowed at the pool. There were several children in the pool, including my son, and I didn't think that it should be allowed. The girl at the desk told me it wasn't, but since the pool had just closed I didn't persue the issue. On the last night we went to the pool not only was that same man there, but there was an older gentleman smoking a cigar! I went into the lobby to complain and was told by another girl that there was nothing they could do since we were outdoors! I was very upset as cigar smoking is not permitted in any public place that I know of, and that all the children in the pool, as well as my family, had to be subjected to disgusting cigar & cigarette smoke. The next day when we checked out I again asked at the front desk if smoking was allowed at the pool and was told that it was not. I told the woman what had happened to me and she said she would speak to the girl from the night before and let her know because their policy had recently changed. I think that they need to inform all staff members of their policies.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2007

This was our second visit to Arizona and last time we stayed in Scottsdale, We thought we would try some where different so we picked the Dobson Ranch & Inn in Mesa, what a great choice it turned out to be, it's in a nice area, just across the road is a lovely lake where you can go for a nice walk if you feel like, (infact there are a few lakes).The hotel staff where very warm and friendly and very helpful, the rooms where very nice and clean, the free breakfast was excellent, we stayed from the 4th September 2007 to the 10th September then went back on the 14th where we stayed for another 7 days, all in all a great hotel.
We would definitely stay here again, Mr and Mrs J Clarke,
Peterlee, England UK

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank frizi
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Stayed for two nights while visiting family. The location was good and we received tokens for very nice hot breakfast upon check in and also received two tokens for drinks at the bar which we didn't get to use. Pool area was nice and clean. Staff friendly and they provided a computer for internet access in lobby but it must have had blocking software as I was unable to access my e-mail acct with yahoo. Rooms were clean and a/c worked well in the 115 heat.

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank Jeff0707
Reviewed April 18, 2007

This was a terrific place to stay. We were here for a family reunion/50th anniversary party (which was held in one of the party rooms at the Dobson Ranch Inn) and several members of our extended family stayed here as well.

My mother, sister and I were in a room facing the pool - and it was very clean and comfortable. Every day we got a free newspaper, and the breakfasts (free to hotel guests) was very good. There was a nice variety of food to chose from and plenty of it to boot.

We also had lunch one day in the restaurant, and the food was excellent.

We got a free cocktail, which we enjoyed! :)

The next time I travel to see my family in the Pheonix area, we intend to stay at the Dobson Ranch Inn.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family