“Not as nice as the pictures”

Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area
Ranked #37 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Northern Virginia
“Not as nice as the pictures”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I have to admit that I was taken in by the nice photos of the pool and architecture. Also, calling it a "ranch" and "resort" did not quite prepare me for the rather mundane hotel setting. The reception area is very dated and worn. I don't think they could have found a rattier looking chair for the hotel receptionist. As for the reception - no complaints there at all. We were well received. The room was decent but smelled a bit like sanitizer. Breakfast was about average but the table service was good. I think the restaurant would be worth a visit as it is the most interesting architecturally.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Denali338

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed November 30, 2011

We've stayed at the Dobson Ranch Inn a number of times in the last six years. When I asked to make sure that my Best Western Rewards number was recorded, I was told that Dobson Ranch was no longer affiliated with the chain. I was a bit concerned. The Good News is "Not to Worry!" The little resort is as nice and clean and accommodating as ever. This is an old resort. The trees and plants are mature and beautiful. I love the large luxurious olive trees that shade the walkways. The breakfast is wonderful...sausages, scrambled eggs, hash browns, waffles, cereals, fruit juices, coffee etc. If you need your expresso, Starbucks is directly across the street. Macayo's, one of the most beloved Mexican restaurants, is a short walk (on the sidewalk) down Dobson Road. The swimming pool and hot tub are sparkling clean, clean towels are furnished, the water is warm. I was happy to see more people there last weekend than I've seen for a while. I only wonder why everyone who is visiting the valley doesn't stay here? It's a value that can't be beat!

Room Tip: Ask for a pet room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PKWTraveler
New Ulm, Minnesota
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Prior to staying here, I read the reviews and the good outweighed the bad. After staying here 5 days, I have only good things to say about this place. No complaints. The staff was very friendly. Room was clean. Breakfast buffet was good. The grounds are beautiful. No question - I'd stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GBinFL
Reviewed November 13, 2011

this was our hotel choice with our package. We looked at the pics & read the reviews & took a chance....it's a nice place!

• Stayed November 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Our daughter had her wedding at Dobson Ranch Inn in October 2011 and we had a lot of family book rooms here. They booked a variety of rooms from the Standard King, Executive King, 2 room Suite, to the VIP room. The price was great since they were all discounted because we had the wedding here. Everyone loved their rooms, they were all clean, had refrigerators, coffee makers, iron & ironing boards, hair dryers and additional seating areas, plus the upgraded rooms had even more amenities. The rooms all included a free breakfast buffet the next morning which was excellent, they had eggs, sausage, potatoes, bagels, toast, muffins, cereal, juices and batter to make fresh waffles. All of the hotel staff are fantastic and we dealt with most of them since we also had the wedding here. The Front Desk staff were very friendly and able to answer any questions we had. The room attendants cleaned our rooms first so we could check in early and did a very thorough job.There was a turnover in the Catering Manager position in the middle of our planning but both of the Sales Managers, Jennifer and Amber,stepped in and took care of everything fantastically until a new Catering Manager, Jennifer, was hired and she took over the responsibilities seamlessly and did a great job. But the one person that stood out above all others was our Banquet Captain Adolfo, he did an outstanding job with all phases of our wedding! I cannot say enough about him, I needed more tables and he set up more tables, I needed more vases and he even arranged the flowers in them, he added the flowers to the arch and set up for the ceremony, and when our cupcakes arrived late he was the one putting them on the table and displaying them beautifully! He went over and above his duties and was a lifesaver for us since we didn't have a wedding planner and we had a beautiful wedding because of him. Adolfo's staff were very attentive during the reception and they were the same staff at the breakfast buffet the next morning! Talk about working tirelessly! I would definitely recommend Dobson Ranch Inn for weddings or even an overnight stay because it's a beautiful place, nicely located, but mainly because of the smiling splendid Adolfo!! And No I'm not related! :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Allen Park, Michigan
Reviewed October 19, 2011

After reading a few of the reviews I was a little leary of what to expect when I arrived at the Dobson Ranch Inn. I received excellent customer service when checking in with Carl, which started off a great stay. They have wonderful grounds, the room was clean, and the Restaurant was great. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Mesa. I know alot of people don't write about the good experiences, and this definately was one!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the courtyard, it was great!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeff J
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Our experience wasn't nearly as bad as some of these reviews. Like I said, it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either. Good points: the room was large, there was a refrig in the room, the grounds were beautifully landscaped, the employees at the desk were pleasant,and the little bar/restaurant was good. Things that needed work: there are 2 hot tubs and neither one was working, the alarm in the room next door went off at 5:50am (nobody was in the room) and it took 2 calls to the desk and 30 minutes for someone to get into the room and turn it off, and instead of 2 normal sized pillows for a queen-sized bed, there were 4 little pillows-which was annoying as soon as you rolled over. The place is somewhat dated, but it wasn't a dump. It's also about a 20 min drive to the airport with no traffic and they have no shuttle.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family