“Not a resort” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Truckee, California
“Not a resort”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

This place is a run down, circa 1950's motel that happens to have a golf course attached to it. The rooms stink like a cheap motel, old worn carpets, and an antique air conditioning unit that was loud and ineffective. The toilet clogged on it's initial use, so I called maintenance. A few minutes later a security guy knocked on my door, handed me a plunger and told me to leave it outside when I was done with it. It was an antique plunger and didn't work. Called maintenance again, they said they would send someone over. Waited a half hour, nobody showed. Called the front desk and one of the front desk guys came to my room with a proper plunger and was able to unclog it. Then I decided I would go for a swim in the "resort" pool. Only one problem, the water was bright green, and the pool was closed because they were treating it with chemicals to try and kill the green stuff. They said it might be useable in a couple of days. The air conditioning unit went on and off and on and off and on and off for around two hours before it reached the set temperature, really loud. Didn't play the course, which seems to be the big draw for this place. If you want to play golf here go for it, but stay someplace else. You'd be better of at any chain motel down the street.

Room Tip: Rooms down the street at any random 2 star motel would be a better choice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank wmays24
K M, Manager at Arizona Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Hi wmays24,

Thank your taking the time to share your experience. We do our utmost to maintain the cleanliness of our hotel, and it is unfortunate that you were unable to enjoy one of our pools while it was being serviced. We hope that your future travels take you back to the Arizona Golf Resort.

Kate Mendez, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Jackson, Wyoming
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

First trip to Arizona for a winter getaway and some baseball. Knew the location was out of the way but we needed a two bedroom place on a golf course so it fit our needs in that respect, but other than that- we were pretty disappointed. The condo / apartment we stayed in was pretty gross. Everything in it was dirty and didn't look like it had any sort of updating since it was built I'm assuming in the 50s or 60s. The pool was pretty awful, vending machines didn't work, hallways had garbage in them, just overall pretty dirty.

Golf course was okay, but it was sopping wet. Our tee time was at 730 am I believe and it was just soaked. Being my first round in Arizona I assume it's normal, but it was just unpleasant. Rental clubs were okay, but cost as much as the golf did. Parking was atrocious. There were about six spots for ten condos so half the time we had to park literally half a mile away near the clubhouse.

The one thing that aggravated me the most- I had a rental car and the battery died on me and you'd think during our week long stay here (which wasn't cheap) the front desk could rustle up a maintenance person with a battery charger or a set of jumper cables- nope. They didn't even offer to call someone for us. Absolute garbage. Caused us to miss half the spring training game we had tickets for, pretty much left a bad taste in our mouth the rest of the trip. If someone spends $1000 (in just lodging- not including golf) at my businsess I'm going to make sure you're taken care of.

Won't be staying here again next time we go to Arizona- no way no how.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
K M, Manager at Arizona Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Hi Sean,

I sincerely apologize for the less than pleasant experience you had while you were staying at our Resort. When you have a chance, please feel free to reach out to me at mendezk@gfhotels.com as I sincerely like to hear more about your stay and find a way to make it right. I hope you give us a chance and visit us again.

Kate Mendez, Hotel Manager
Rantoul, Il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Second time I stayed here in 2 years As always, staff was great and motel, which could be updated, was comfortable. If you are a golfer, this is your place!!! Course was in great shape and for the money, you can:t beat it. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you are a golfer, stay in the 400 area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JHammermeister, Manager at Arizona Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you zman36 for your glowing review of our staff and hotel. Keep an eye out for golf and vacation specials in our website to get the best deals! We hope to see you again soon!
Spokane, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Arizona Golf Resort establishment should be banned from ever being allowed to use the term “Resort”. We stayed at this location last Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and checked out Monday, February 28th through March 4th, 2013.

The trip started at your location with the announcement that you could not give me the room that I had reserved so you upgraded me to a suite. I had visions of grandeur and agreed. We went to our room and was immediately greeted by bird feces covering the sidewalk leading to our front door, feathers all over our small outside sitting area and bird feces all over the patio. We went into a room that registered 63 on the thermostat. The dish cloth was frayed, the davenport badly stained and a partial roll of toilet paper. Alarms did not go off in my head because after all this was a suite.

I had wanted to provide my wife with a great experience. I never once asked price because I desired that my wife enjoy the trip.

That evening we call the front desk and tell them our heating problem and they sent a maintenance worker who quickly suggested that we leave our front door open to warm up our room. He showed me the circuit breakers that allowed me to shut off the continuously running fan. Another maintenance person showed up around 10 that evening and offered to place two heaters in our room. The next morning we tried to shower in our 63 degree room. The faucet attachment in the bath tub was stuck and we could only get ½ the water out of the shower head and ½ the water in the tub.

Friday evening we decided to do room service and have a nice dinner. We called the restaurant and let the phone ring at least 10 times only to be greeted by a recorded message that told us how busy they were and if we left a message containing our room number they would call us back. After a half an hour I walked to the restaurant and observed that they were not even half full. My wife and I drove to a pizza parlor and brought pizza back to our cold room.

Next, more maintenance people show up and announce that they know the problem but did not have the parts to fix it. They again offered two heaters if we wanted warmth and I again declined. They fixed our shower problem and replaced our thermostat and now I could turn off the fan without throwing circuit breakers.

We then played golf on your advertised “lush fairways and greens”. You should be sued for false advertising. That golf course is obviously not being cared for. Patchy greens, unraked bunkers, fairways that are patchy and dull, nowhere near luscious and green.

The entire time at your “resort” presented one disappointment after another. I have stayed in hotels all over the world, from Munich to Hong Kong
Including the TPC Princess at Scottsdale and Embassy Suites in Phoenix, but by far yours is the worst disappointment that I have ever endured. I am making it my personal crusade to contact all Visitor and Convention organizations in your area, as well as your local Chambers of Commerce and as many travel and or golf websites as possible to share this letter.

By the way, Thank you for knocking $50 from my bill. That was really impressive.

If you want I have pictures of my thermostat reading 63 degrees, bird feces and also of the paint peeling off my front door frame and much more. Happy to provide them to anyone that wants to see them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bill T
JHammermeister, Manager at Arizona Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Bill T,

On behalf of the entire team at the Arizona Golf Resort, I apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. I am very interested in researching the situation so that we can continue to improve. While I understand that your experience might not have demonstrated this, we are extremely interested in our guests' satisfaction and do our utmost best to ensure that they are taken care of. I would appreciate if you give us an opportunity to make it right for you. You may contact me directly at mendezk@gfhotels.com.

Kate Mendez, in behalf of J. Hammermeister
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here for the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl since family lived very close. The suite that we stayed in was very well arranged, it included a kitchen family area with a pull out sofa, two bathrooms, and two bedrooms. For the space it was a great deal and the staff at the hotel were very friendly and attentive. My only complaint was the rooms were very outdated, the TV were very small and old. Overall, I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hi joejon91,

Thank you very much for staying with us during the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. We hope to see you again soon!
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place is a tale of two hotels.

First and foremost, the grounds are quite nice. It's a very big resort, in terms of footprint, with tons of buildings scattered quite a distance from each other. If you have mobility issues or the weather is bad, I can see that being a pain. Since neither was the case when I was there, I liked it a lot. The restaurant inside is good, though not spectacular. Meeting rooms are quite nice. People are incredibly friendly, both at the front desk and in terms of banquet staff. Pools look nice, but I never used one.

The rooms are a different story. Apparently they are trying to sell the hotel, so they have done no renovations. You can tell. It's very clean, but just old and worn out. I was upgraded to a big suite with a full kitchen (incl oven), and it was certainly more space than I needed for a few nights. The TVs are old with very few channels. The WiFi is very poor. The bathroom is small and the shower head is suitable for a 5 year old, in terms of height. Beds are comfortable. The patio is quite nice, as mine overlooked the 18th green (I believe it was the 18th).

If this place gets updated, I could see it being fantastic. But as of now, the rooms bring down the otherwise nice place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hi Zacharius,

Thank you for thoughtfully sharing your experience at the Arizona Golf Resort. We do our utmost best in maintaining and keeping the resort clean and comfortable for our guests, and appreciate your comments and suggestions to make necessary improvements. Thank you for also noticing what we do right. We hope that you visit us again when your travels bring you back up to Mesa.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our stay at the resort was all about the staff. They did a great job making sure our stay was a pleasant one. Their attitude were terrific! We were not too impressed with the rooms however, it was clean. They need to be updated.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hi mitch d,

Thank you very much for the kind words about our team. Your comments are very much appreciated, and hope that you come visit us again!