“Lazy river” 5 of 5 bubbles

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lazy river”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Canyons, eagles, wild horses - all the scenery of a great hike without having to do any work. Take the 202 or 60 e to power road to usery pass. Busses pick youupand drop you off for around $15 tube included. Bring a cooler, friends, and lots of sun screen( keep applying it or you will have the worst sunburn ever). Great college crowd, people bring stereos out, throw footballs around, and act crazy and have a great time

Visited October 2010

Atlanta, Georgia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Beautiful views and a fun time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Tubing the Salt River was awesome! I went with my boyfriend and his friend and our cooler took up a tube, which costs an extra $15. But, alcohol is allowed with no glass and the views are so pretty. Unfortunately you can't take pictures because you might lose your phone or camera in the water. It was a nice way to spend a day, get a good tan, and just relax!

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“So much fun!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Tubing with the family was so fun! I would not recommend this for young children or older adults. Cost is $15 per person and includes tube and bus ride to the top! There is a lot of partying on the weekends but during the week it is relatively quiet. Don't wear flip flops, wear old tennis shoes or water shoes. We tied all of our rafts together making it really fun (they ask that you don't do this though). You can get off at different points, so if you feel the need to leave - you can. Bring lots of water and wear lots of sunscreen.

Visited August 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“lots of fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Went with my girlfriend and friends multiple times. Always a great way to spend the afternoon. A few pointers, remember to bring snacks, beer, water, lots of rope to tie all the tubes together, water shoes, and lots of sunblock. Also, remember to nominate a designated driver prior to leaving. I loved out trip in August, but i was rather cold in early June. It felt warm for the firs hour, but after being wet for 4 hrs it wears out you, so middle and end of summer are definitely better.

Visited August 2011
Loveland, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Robbed for my tube. Not a pleasant experience overall.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

We arrived at Salt River Tubing & Recreation (SRTR) around 11am. We paid for our tubes, left my Driver's License, and stood in line behind a big group of people awaiting the next bus. As the three of us stood there with our $15 rental tubes, a girl ducked under the caution tape and joined the group of people behind us. I noted it as odd, but did not think it was alarming. When the bus arrived, we all packed inside. We were instructed to stack the tubes 5 high and have a seat.. The ride up to the first drop off point was pleasant and I chit-chatted with the group of people who'd gotten on the bus behind us. In our conversation, I discovered they were also starting at the second drop off point because the girl who snuck in line had dropped off her boyfriend there.

The bus stopped and the first group of people wanted to be let off. Everyone exited except the three of us. My two friends did not have a tube and I alerted them to the fact that there were no other tubes left on the bus. I stayed on with inner tube in hand. They hopped off and retrieved two tubes. The group that had been behind us in line got back on the bus and we all stacked the tubes 5 high again. There were a total of 12 tubes. My friends had their tubes in front of them and mine was in the pile. I took one off the top and placed it on top of my friends' tubes.

Then, a girl said they were short a tube. They accused me of stealing it! Since there are no markings to designate which tube belongs with which person, there was no real way to say, "This tube right here is MINE." The group began to argue with me. I held my ground, but one of the men snatched my tube from the top of our pile and placed it back on their pile. I was livid. The bus driver refused to get involved in any way, stating we were each responsible for our own tube.

As we all crowded off of the bus, I took a tube. Each of my friends had a tube. I thought everything was going to be ok. No, no it was not. As soon as the bus driver pulled away, a guy rushed me and grabbed for my tube. I tried to step away from him, but there was a wall of rock. I guarded my tube. He came at me again. I put my hand on his chest, blocking him from stealing my tube. Then, another man approached me from behind and tried to get the tube away from me. I threw myself on the ground on top of my tube. They both came after me as I held the tube as tightly as I could. They were about to drag the tube, dragging me over the gravel. My friend relinquished her tube in order to stop the conflict that was quickly escalating into assault. Of course, the men yelled curse words at me, calling me nasty names. They thanked her for her tube, effectively thanking her for letting them steal a tube for the ride down the river. We were robbed. We stood to the side and let the group head to the bank and get in the water first, so we would not have to deal with any future conflict with them.

The entire ride I was thinking about the SRTR policy that states, "The charge is $30 per tube for lost or stolen tubes payable immediately, CASH ONLY. Any license that has not been redeemed due to Lost/Stolen unpaid tubes at the end of a normal business day will be turned over to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office for collection and prosecution." I was scared. I did not have the money and SRTR had my ID.

People were traveling in huge barges of tubes tied together with rope; as large as twenty tubes! SRTR has many signs posted advising against it, as if one tuber goes down, it is very difficult to get back up if you get stuck under a barge. I know it is a party on the weekend, but responsible drinking is key. Many of my fellow tubers were completely wasted drunk. The staff at SRTR did check coolers for glass,. They have a warning on the website about not consuming alcohol, but they allow it to be brought on the water by the cooler-load. I saw a woman riding on her belly with her face super close to the water and her eyes rolling back in her head. She looked like she was passing out. If she had, she would have easily drowned before her friends even noticed. There are also SRTR signs posted warning folks not to jump from anything into the water. It is not so dirty visibility is completely lost, but it is not a good idea. People were jumping off of the side of a cliff into less than 5-6 feet of water. Others were egging them on with delight. I vowed to never again travel the Salt River on a Saturday.

It was a short ride back to the tube rental return. When we told the staff member what happened, she gave me the, "We're supposed to charge you for the inner tube," face. She said, "Well, let me go talk to the manager. I'll be right back." Thank goodness she related a positive message upon her return, "This time you will not be charged, but next time keep a better eye on your tube." I told her I had no idea it was going to be so brutal and she just shrugged, moving on to the next person in line.

While Salt River Tubing & Recreation did make an exception to the fee policy, it was not enough for me to walk away from this experience with a positive feeling. I'm anxious to get in my own kayak and paddle someplace other than Salt River. Fun and relaxation are the reasons I like to get on the water. This adventure was neither fun, nor relaxing.

Visited July 2011