“Always on our must-do list”
Review of Rancho de Tia Rosa - MOVED

Rancho de Tia Rosa
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2014

We visit the Mesa location of Tia Rosa on average 2-3 times per year. We have a home in the area and Tia Rosa is always on our list. During our last trip to Mesa, this location was undergoing renovation following a fire so we went to the Gilbert location. We definitely prefer Mesa.

Tia Rosa has many fond memories for our family. My in-laws lived in Mesa for over 20 years so ate here many times. One of my fondest memories was sharing dinner and Cadillac Margaritas with my late father-in-law ... to see him sucking down that Margarita still makes me laugh.

The place is crazy busy, always. But the wait is never long. As you walk in you'll be on sensory overload, especially if you go at Christmas. The entire restaurant is decked out in all sorts of Southwest-themed things. The music might be a bit loud for some.

You simply must order a Margarita! The Cadillac is my all-time favorite and one, maybe two, are all you need for a fun night. Why go to a Mexican restaurant and order anything else!

Food is always terrific and consistent. For a little extra, you can order Habanero salsa to go with the complimentary chips. Don't fill up on the chips and salsa, as good as they are. You want room for your dinner!I usually get the fajita platter which is enough for a small family. We've tried many other dishes over the years. One of my favorites is the Chicken Mole. Fish tacos are another favorite. I don't think we've ever had dessert as we're always too full.

Skip Gilbert and head for Mesa!

Reviewed August 22, 2014

I love Mexican food... I mean doesn't everybody?

That is why I am having a difficult time reviewing Rancho de Tia Rosa. Rancho is a very beautiful restaurant, so the atmosphere is very nice. I had the Plato de Carne Asada, which is a slow roasted pork with rice and beans, etc. My wife and kids had enchiladas. My pork was a little on the dry side but still tasted very good. I certainly cannot say anything bad about Rancho, the wait staff did an excellent job, the portions are huge (good value), and again the restaurant is lovely. I just feel that the food was very ordinary, which can be a great thing. If you are looking for good, safe, Mexican food... Rancho just may be for you.

Next time I am in AZ, I will still be looking for the Mexican restaurant that WOWS me. I know its there... somewhere.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We thought we would try this restaurant after having to ask the bus person for someone to wait on us the first time. Well, the same thing happened again. We had the chicken burrito and rolled taco lunch specials. Both were average at best. You had to pay $1 for enchilada sauce, which should be on top of the burrito in the first place and the rolled tacos were tasteless. I wish we would have left instead of asking the bus person to get a waiter. We wasted our time and money. Look elsewhere for a decent Mexican meal.

Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Took my mom for lunch. Restaurant decor is amazing, great atmosphere. It does get loud. Our service was average, nothing bad about it. Food was delicious and very filling. I had a chicken chimi, and mom had beef tacos. Other than taco shells seeming to be store bought, everything was very good. Waiter brought salt and pepper to us as soon as I asked. Will return again.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

You walk in and have an awe moment as it has such charming atmosphere. It is nice that they take the time to decorate for different holidays. That's definitely where it ends though. First no salt or pepper shakers on the table--ever! Forget about trying to get one from your server. You'll be done with your chips and salsa and half way through your dinner before that happens. You will need to just go toward the kitchen to get your own. Only to find a cheap plastic disposable shaker.

It doesn't matter what time of day you go the service consistently ruins the good food. If you have time on your hands and can plan on 1/2 - 1 hour extra just to compensate for the long poor service then consider giving this place a try. We have been there after the lunch rush, before the dinner rush and it never matters there just isn't any emphasis on good service. We go here occasionally because it is one of the very few Mexican restaurants that offers a good safe gluten free menu, but the frustration makes it not worth it any longer. In all the visits there we have never once seen a manager on duty or had anyone higher up come by our table to see if everything was okay.

So, for the food is it very good and anyone I have brought there does enjoy the quality of it, but after talking with a coworker I found out that their family has had the same issue with the lack of service and they no longer go either.

Be aware that it is a very noisy restaurant as they spend no money on any sound proofing materials for the ceiling. During peak times it is hard to have a conversation with someone sitting across from you.