“Nice Surprise”
Review of China City

China City
Ranked #446 of 957 Restaurants in Mesa
Reviewed August 15, 2014

There were plenty of choices and food tasted very fresh. I was pleasantly surprised and would definitely return.

There are newer reviews for China City

Reviewed August 10, 2014

love the wontons. the buffet bar is fresh, clean and good is great. my fav is the wontons, my dtr fav is the sushi. great place to go

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is touted as having the best Chinese food in Arizona. I go there for the crab legs. They do a good job with most menu items. The place is always crowded and has a jovial atmosphere. It is good Chinese food. The freshness is not as good as it should be, however. That is why I gave them a four out of five.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I'd actually reviewed my regular Chinese buffet place just this morning. (The one on Signal Butte) I felt like gong someplace new, and the reviews on TripAdvisor seemed to favor this China City restaurant. Must say, I was pleasantly surprised. First impressions were good. We arrived at 11:15 am, place has been open for 45 minutes or so. It smelled pleasant upon entering, the ambience was nice, plenty of light coming in through the large windows. The lady showing us to our table was not terribly attentive, but that's OK, I'm just here to eat. First thing I noticed was the food *seemed* to be hot. Ah, my hopes rise ! Cold Chinese food doesn't work. Nice selection of chicken, beef and fish dishes. Nicely presented. I see sushi, hot clams, various chicken and beef dishes, steamed fish etc, I tried a lot of it. First off, the salt and pepper shrimp. Take a bite.....Not hot. Oh dear. Just warm. Would have been a great start to begin with a winner. I liked their egg drop soup. Not gluggy like many other places. Tried some various chicken dishes, nice flavor, but again, just not hot enough. The dishes where the food is steaming look hot (and indeed are hot to the touch), but the food within was just lukewarm. But even though I was disappointed in the temperature, it was still better food than the Signal Butte buffet. I usually go a couple of rounds before I grab some fruit and ice cream. They had a rather nice creme brulee thing which was very good, the usual sliced peaches, honeydew, cantaloupe. Our server came by regularly to top up our water and take away the used dishes.

I'd definitely come back again as a single visit may not be representative of its usual standard. It's a bit further to drive for us, but that's OK because I have a feeling that we will be happier eating here. The price, with a coupon, was actually marginally less expensive than the Signal Butte restaurant. I didn't get to sample the fish myself. although my husband said his clams were lovely as was the steamed fish.

So bottom line, good first impressions, hope they keep up the temperature of their food and looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We eat here many times, sometimes once a week. The food is really good. There is always a cook near the Stir Fry so you never have to wait for someone to come and cook your food. The Hot Tables are always "HOT" unlike the place over on Signal Butte in Mesa which is a lot closer to me. They have a very nice variety of food. They have so many items that I wouldn't know where to begin to say. They have California Roll all of the time. Crab legs and oysters during dinner time. Desserts and Fruit. I actually pass 2 or 3 buffet places just to come to China City. Employees are very Friendly, Owner actually will come by and ask how everything is going.