“Authentic as it gets!”

Cuisines: Asian, Polynesian
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I was finally able to drop in Aloha Kitchen today with my daughter and her Hawaiian boyfriend and we weren't disappointed.

The restaurant is little more than a little cafe but we went for the food, not ambiance. After perusing the menu over, I decided to get a mixed plate, which had Bulgolgi (they called it Bulkolgi), chicken katsu, sweet rice and choice of salad. I wanted to try the 'creamy tropical salad dressing' on the green salad, so my daughter and her beau went with the macaroni and potato salad. She ordered the charbroiled salmon but he, being Hawaiian, had to custom order and made a custom mixed plate of teriyaki chicken and J. R. Special. AK happily complied.

Our lunches arrived in 12 minutes, hot from the fryer/char grill/flattop. The plates were literally overflowing with food. My katsu and Bulgolgi were excellent. The katsu was crunchy on the outside but oh so tender on the inside. I was worried that my Bulgolgi would be dry but it was tender and juicy as could be. The sweet rice was, well, sweet rice but good! I tried the entrees from the other plates and they were outstanding as well.

The Mac/potato salad was good but the green salad was just so so.

The owner stopped by our table to ask about our meals and we offered him a seat so he could tell us about the prep. AK makes all of their marinades, sauces and garnishes by hand. The only bottled products are the condiments offered at the condiment station, plus the soft drinks.

He stopped by later as we were finishing to check on our satisfaction. For those who gave negative feedback for service, I think AK has been listening.

We will definitely return but with bigger appetites. Had to leave half my rice behind :-(

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This unassuming little restaurant offers some true Hawaiian dishes at very good prices and it's right here in Mesa!
It's tucked away past the popular Nello's pizza restaurant, but it is worth a visit, especially if you are a fan of Hawaiian food or just want to try it.
I tried the chicken cutlet with pork laulau and small salad. All were tasty! The pork was my favorite, a sold ball of tender pork wrapped in a cabbage leaf.
The ambiance is more like a diner. You go for the food, not the scenery. Or get it to go and dine by your backyard pool.
Try it!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

This place has some great Hawaiian style food. There is Japanese, Chinese and Polynesian food all modified in the way the Hawaiians do. Great coconut ice cream available too.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Nice little hiding place for good Hawaiian food! Found them via google search, which showed mixed reviews...most likely from the Haole types complaining about fattening food...DUH! It's Hawaiian!

As far as Hawaiian food is concerned, in mainland US and here in AZ, they are as good as they get to real food in Hawaii. No like food, wait til you go home and go to Rainbow drive in or Ono's Hawaiian or some other like it.

In AZ, beggars can't be choosers, we get what we can as long as it's close to what we have back home.

Price is good and quantity is Hawaiian...plenty. Go eat, you no be sorry.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We love this place! We were at the Aloha Festival and this was the food place with the longest line!!! We ended up driving to the restaurant instead & there was a much shorter line. We ordered the Hawaiian plate that has Kalua Pork, Chicken Longrice, rice & a Salmon fish salad, Manapua steamed pork bun, coconut cake, Jr plate which was a breaded fried chicken & tropical Guava juice blends. There was so much food we took some home.

1  Thank bluelagoon