“Disappointed”
Review of Chubby Hubby BBQ - CLOSED

Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed January 11, 2013

As a participant in Barbecue culture through cooking, judging and promoting, I was pleased to hear that a new BBQ restaurant had opened very near my Arizona winter residence. However, the first warning that I would be disappointed was when we entered. The place was nearly empty. Other nearby restaurants are are filled to the brim at this time of year by locals and over-winter snowbirds like ourselves. But perhaps few people had yet discovered Chubby Hubby's in the two months that it had been open.
I ordered the competition platter. My wife ordered the BBQ turkey. The competition platter contained the same four items that are judged in competitions, brisket, chicken, pork ribs, and pulled pork. The chicken offered in competitions is normally a thigh (It appears that BBQ aficionados come from that third of the population that prefers dark chicken meat.) The competition platter contained pulled chicken. That could make sense for restaurant in that the kitchen needs to find some way to unload the white meat.
Now to the tasting. Everything was dry, bland, under-smoked, under-spiced and generally tasteless. A thin BBQ sauce was available but it didn't go far. (I could have asked for more, but I'd lost interest by then.) The pulled items appeared to have been either frozen or soaked in water, but our server assured us that this was not the case. Everything but the ribs were clearly overcooked but the ribs were tough. My wife's turkey was also dry and tasteless.
I wont be back, except that I'm a judge at a BBQ competition in their parking lot next month.
I can finish on one positive note; they offered an excellent selection of draft beer. I had a Four Peaks Hop Knot.

4  Thank BevRobertson