“Oh dear !”

Cuisines: Italian
Phoenix, Arizona
“Oh dear !”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Had I read the the other review that is listed for this restaurant I would have never stepped in the place ...
The waitress we had was definitely not trained in any way, shape or form. I am not exaggerating when I say we had not even sat down when she asked us what we wanted to drink ... we were standing up ! We had not even had a look at the menu / wine list.
Mine (menu) had a little "surprise" in it - an old straw covering ... not exactly sure how long it had been there. The place is totally charmless and my husband thought it smelled funny, there's no ambience and it did not seem very clean (not fresh table cloths, for example). We should have cut our losses upon reflection ... but the food, funnily enough, could have been worse - we had the homemade spinach ravioli and the linguine with mussels and they were not bad (not great, but really not too bad). However, the rest of the sub-par experience was sufficient to warrant never going back. How they stay in business is beyond me, it is not even a "cheap eats" type of place where you could forgive the lacklustre decor and shoddy service.Our bill for 2 was $76 incl wine, tax, tip ... Go elsewhere !

• Visited March 2013

Mesa, Arizona
“Roach on the table”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I visited this Il Forno for the 1st time this evening. After we ordered, the waitress brought bread in a basket. Within 1 min of that, a small roach was seen walking around near the basket on the table. We killed it and alerted the waitress, who expressed disgust, and took it away. We asked for the manager. She came back to confirm we wanted the manager. That should not have been, since anytime a customer finds a problem like that, it requires a response from the manager right away. He came, and apologized. He said they spray monthly. I explained that small teenager roaches imply he may have an infestation problem, which he immediately denied. But he agreed that teen roaches don't just walk across the street from somewhere else and routinely visit restaurants without staying. Of course, he said that that was the 1st roach he had seen there.

The pizza we ordered had good taste. It was Mediterranean, with white sauce, and raw spinach, artichokes, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes. Too bad we saw the roach. It made eating the raw ingredients unappetizing. No idea where the roach had walked on in the kitchen and how many more there are that have not yet been seen.

The waitress was inexperienced. When I asked her why they have a $4 charge on split plates on the pizza menu (who can eat a 22 inch pizza without splitting it with someone?), she said she wasn't sure, but not to worry about it. Why not just explain it's a mistake and really refers to the other entrees on the menu? She forgot to bring us a cocktail list when she seated us, then brought one that was crumpled from water stains. She took my wife's plate and utensils when she cleared the table after we ate bread, but never brought back any utensils for her after she brought our pizza. I had to get a new set for her.

They charged us $24 for the pizza but wanted us to know they did not charge us for the tomato sauce we wanted on the side. How generous! That's not to mention that the sauce was cold -- straight out of the frige without heating up.

The prices are not competitive. For good pizza, try Barro's. Red, White and Brew or Carrabba's gives you a better deal for the same type of food. No wonder they're empty while these other places are packed.

• Visited November 2012